1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

He keeps dying...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Does anyone know when guards start to attack you on sight due to your reputation? I'm getting into dangerous territory here. I killed Firebeard twice already - once in Candlekeep and once in Beregost - got 2700 XP each time, but now I have the small problem of having a reputation of 4. It's OK, because I'm playing evil, so everyone in the party is very happy, but I'd prefer not to be harrassed by town guards. Should I do something nice to get it a little higher?

[ August 08, 2003, 21:07: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I think you should not do anything to increase it
    (unless you want lower prices while purchasing items)
    4 Reputation is not so serious, and I think it is not
    very likely that guards will attack you for it. But be careful: Do not slay too many innocent commoners, because the Flaming Fist might send an elite unit to eliminate you...

3. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Check manual for reputation tables. If you have reputation 5 or less, there is a chance that Flaming Fist soldiers attack you, when you enter a new area.

rep. 5 - 10% chance
    rep. 4 - 20% chance
    rep. 3 - 30% chance
    rep. 2 - 50% chance
    rep. 1 - always
    rep. 0 - always, and you can't buy items

I think that you should try to raise your reputation to 6 to avoid attacks, and get items a bit cheaper.

Edit: I have to add this: my 500th post :p

4. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Assuming you're playing the really evil path and you're not bothered about fighting flaming fist enforcers, do they keep popping up continually every time you enter a new area or do they quit after a while?

I once had the idea of wandering over the whole Sword Coast and butchering everyone I came to then using the gold from their corpses to buy back my reputation but if I'm going to get attacked every time I enter a new location it would be more trouble than it's worth.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, since I originally posted this message, I went to Naskel and all the guards as soon as I entered town (I had not even crossed the bridge yet) opened up on me. That sucked. If you remember, all of the guards are armed with bow and arrows, so it wasn't even a stand up fight. I thought I would have received some warning, but as soon as I stepped into town they attacked. It was the first time I was in Naskel too, so the fight started as soon as the Chapter 2 introduction finished. So, I went ahead a bought my reputation back at the big temple. Spent a few hundred gold to get it back to 6. It's worth not being harrassed by soldiers. I mean, maybe later on in the game when I'm a higher level I'll be able to handle it, but like I said, I just started Chapter 2. I have a bunch of second level characters, and they can't take that kind of beating.

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I had a very unpleasant experience when I first played the game.
    A lot of Bounty Hunters wanted 8000 gold or my life!
    I did not want to lose reputation but I became angry so I killed them. Then the army attacked me...
    So I decided not to fight. I had to stealth all the time :eek:
    I had not know the reason for a long time.
    Then I realized at last that the reputation was the trouble.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Aldeth
    Awww, maybe being a bad guy doesnt pay at all :p

[ August 08, 2003, 21:47: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Be dramatic, fight your way out of the situation. Sure, you could raise your reputation, but what's the fun in that? ^_^

9. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] It's ok to get into a couple of brawls with the Flaming Fist and you can always buy off the Amnish guards. But if you kill too many Flaming Fists they'll send a crack squad after you. This squad is composed of a powerful mage, a flail wielding guard (who may be able to cast spells), a couple of normal gaurds and an assasin who will backstab your characters. Even with a high level party you don't want to mess with the Flaming Fist (crime doesn't pay). :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.