1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party combos

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by IronEagle, Nov 30, 2000.

1. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

yea yea, i know we have had tons of these kind of posts. but they go away quick and are to full to bring back to the top. So i was wondering what kinda combos everyone has tried.. and what is the hardest yet most fun to use...
    currently i have a party where minsc is my only attacker, everyone else is an archer mage/theif or cleric. and lemme tell you the spell casting is fun, but i just got done with the hold and IT was Hard like that! i need my death spells! they make everything easy!

2. GOD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

How about an all girls party. My party has 3 fighters, 3 thieves, 4 mages, 1 druid and 1 cleric. How on earth you may ask?

1. GODDESS (my character) - fighter/mage/thief
    2. Jaheira - druid/fighter
    3. Mazzy - fighter
    4. Aerie - mage/cleric
    5. Nalia - mage/thief
    6. Imoen - mage/theif

My main character never get hold/charm/confuse/etc. If you get a Mordenkain Sword spell early, cast it and kill it. It will drop a green amulet which will give you immunity to all the ESP effect spells.

Charlie's Angels, eat yr socks out.

3. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I wanted to experienced the three new "classes" but did not want to go through the game three times so I created a Sorceress, a Barbarian and a Monk.

1. Sorceress (protagonist)
    2. Barbarian, specializing in 2-handed sword and staff
    3. Monk, gauntlets of crushing-fists or Celestial Fury
    4. Anomen, fighter-cleric with Crom Faeyr or enhanced Mace of Disruption
    5. Jan, thief/illusionist firing bolts and spells
    6. Aerie, cleric/mage slinging bullets and spells

The Barbarian is basically a fighter but the monk and sorcerer is a whole new experience.

4. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My team is:

Me: Berserker
    Minsc, ranger
    Jaheira, druid
    Anomen, cleric (now a Knight)
    Nalia, mage/thief
    Imoen, mage/thief

Usually, my tactic is the following:

And send Me and Minsc to rush the ennemy. I keep Jaheira and Anomen in backup behind with Nalia and Imoen. They all cast spells. Anomen have a sling +3. So between spoells, Anomen, Nalia and Imoen shoot at ennemy (Nalia: light crossbow +1, Imoen Short bow +2 with special: 3 attack/round).

When there's too much people for Me and Minsc, I send Jaheira in the front, then Anomen, if needed. Nalia and Imoen stay at the back, and continue casting spells and shooting at ennemy with bolts and arrows.

All of them are between level 12 and 14. Nalia can now cast level 7 spells. Anomen too. They rock!

My only concern is about Jaheira. I keep her in my party only for sentimental reasons. Becauses I dont think she's a really useful caracter. Average fighter. Spell casting? Anomen is better.

But since BG1, she became a real good friend and I cant let her go.

5. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

One last thing:

I always use Berserker rage ability for "Me".

When I do this, I just transform himself into a Bulldozer!

6. Daesdta Ceryn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Daesdta Ceryn: Thief: +2short sword with anti-hold/bow with 3 shots a round
    Minsc: That +3 sword that talks
    Dwarf dude: That throwing axe that comes back and the frost and fire damage axe for close combat
    That knight dude that helps take out the sightless eye people: his traditional weapon
    jahiera; she has 2 of those heal whole party spells, and then the level 6 spell where she can remember 2 previous spells, so at the moment she can heal the whole party 4 times before resting, not to mention bear and fire elemental summoning, plus other heal spells. also with the belt of giant strength she is a bad@$$ fighter with a plus-one scimitar and the reflecting shield.
    that evil mage guy in the thief guild: he is also bad @ with his 6 magic missiles, 2-3 third level creature summons, and random elementals. kinda weak, but better than that wingless elf chick.
    my thief (straight thief kinda sucks) stays back with his fast bow or he goes in with his sword, i have the 3 huge fighters, they rock, and jahiera heals while that evil mage dude takes people out. straight and simple like. im not too far in the game, so these are the best mix i have found so far. sorry if this post is too long.

7. desperado Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

I'm playing a multiplayer game alone. Here's my party:

Half-Orc Kensai (Protagonist) -17th level
    Human Monk -17th level
    Dwarf Priest of Talos -17th level
    Half-Elf Avenger (Druid) -14th level
    Halfling Swashbuckler (Thief) -19 th level
    Elf Mage - 15-16th level.

And I think that's a very strong party.

I'm planning to start a new game with an evil party.
    - Half-orc Barbarian (Protagonist)
    - Korgan (Berserker)
    - Viconia (Drow priestless)
    - Haer' Dalis (Thiefling Bard)
    - Yoshimo (and take Jan Jansen after Yoshimo betray you)
    - Edwin (Conjurer)

What do you think of it?

8. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I dream-the-impossible-dream of being able to one day figure out how to play a multiplayer game alone. It's been very frustrating. I've tried several times to set up such a multiplayer game, but I'm a virtual idiot with PCs, and I'm always prompted for configurations that I have no idea how to make or asked for imformation I don't know and don't know how to get. I hit brick wall after brick wall. They really should design the instructions so people like me who have never been able to successfully initiate an online game (even tried Diablo) can easily understand it. A screen of abbreviations and strange terms doesn't do anything for me.

Do I understand it right that you have to be online to play a multiplater game by yourself? That seems, well, stupid. And I doubt my connection is fast enough to do that anyway. There is no god.

9. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

You don't have to be online to play a multiplayer game all by yourself. I think there's is something about it in the manual. Anyway if you want to play a game with each 6 character pre-custum by yourself you have to start a new multiplayer game and choose to play with a serial connection. Then you have to create a new game and enter your name and a session name. You only have to assign each character to yourself and then start the game. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by desperado (edited December 15, 2000).]

10. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Thanks. I'll try it again and use your serial connection advice. There are so many kits I want to play that I can't wait to make my own supercool party of jesters and sorcerers and kensai! Nifty keen! Peechie rad! Boss! Outdated slang!

I may be back with another question if I hit another brick wall...

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, I've posted my party enough, so I'll post my favorite current party type and why.

fighter/mage
    fighter
    ranger
    fighter/druid(or cleric perhaps)
    cleric/mage
    thief/mage

Of course this is only good in games where you can achieve high levels. This combo gives me the option of four people who can fight melee, which I prefer over the archer style as long as I have a strong party. However, with a week party, I can still have four archers if need be. This also gives me three mages, two good ones at least and one weak one. This is a huge help to all you magic lovers out there, and dual or multi classing them kepps them from being one dimensional. I have two healers, and both can be farily good ones in BG2. A multi druid can not cast level 7 spells, though :(, but the multi cleric can. I think this more than makes up for the lack of a pure cleric, and the ranger can always use cleric spells. Oh, and if you're wondering why I choose a ranger: one is the spells, two is the fact that I need a scout without a viable thief option. Ranger's special abilities (spellcasting, hide in shadows) can actually come in very usefull in this game, which is nice. I relegated the thief class pretty far down the lader of importance, but I'm not much of a backstaber, and their important skills can be developed at early levels pretty well. Plus their is some thief skill enhancing equipment usually scatered about.

I think this party gives one of the best balances I've seen, and I also think it is one of the most powerfull.

12. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

Your Welcome Nerworlder! I'ld like somes opinions about the evil party I'm planning to start. Like I said on my last post ^.
    Why everbody said that Haer' Dalis suck...? I think that he is pretty cool. I love to play a thiefling in Planscape (P&P) and I've always love the bard class. Although, Haer' Dalis seems to not possess any of the great power of the thiefling.

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Bards are not bad but Haer Dalis has awful stats. That's why he sucks ass.
    Like Cernd, not annoying but just tooo weak.

14. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  15. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's enough to say:' screw him, I'll take the jerk Anomen anytime over this wimp!'

16. Kalten Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Dual class on a couple characters is a very nice plus when building a party. I prefer dual class over multi-class because I do not want to waste to much experience in spliting between two classes. For instance, I have a mage that I dual classed immediately to a fighter in chapter one. I get a charater that has a load of non-fighting spells (identify, invisibility, etc) that is also a good archer with OK melee skills. All xp is now going to the fighter class and not being split on a mage I do not need. The downside is 7 levels of mage hit points instead of figher. Unfortunately I think BG1 was a little more dual class friendly because I think had a fighter/cleric that could use a long bow. Basic goal is to have as many peole with long bows as possible (I prefer rate of fire over damage to disrupt spell casters)

My current party:
    Paladin (lets face it, the game was written for a paladin as the protaganist)
    Fighter/Cleric
    Mage/Fighter
    Bounty Hunter (need a thief and I love the traps)
    Sorcerer
    Theif/Mage (Nalia or Imoen)

The paladin and cleric engage in melee while the other pick everyone off with bow and spells. So far so good.

17. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

Thanks a lot, Desp. Your "serial connection" suggestion solved the multi-player problem that has bugged me since I got the game.

As such, I've started two custom parties (each with an empty slot for special guest stars like Nalia):

He Who Seeks Truth (male Human Monk)
    Gorgana (female Half-Orc Barbarian)
    Drake (male Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger)
    Sirill (female Elf Sorcerer)
    Six (male Half-Elf Jester)

Kenja (female Human Kensai-dual-Mage)
    Shadowfoot (male Gnome Swashbuckler)
    Anjelis (male Human Cavalier)
    Eve (female Half-Elf Avenger)
    Andromeda (female Elf Archer)

18. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm also trying an evil party, and it seems to me that you don't even nééd a PC to make a killer-team.

Korgan is without a doubt the strongest fighter in the game, an entire front-line on his own.
    Edwin can have tons of spells thanks to his amulet, making him an incredibely powerful mage.
    Viconia is simply a near-perfect Cleric (not to mention her MR, especially near the end of the game)
    Jaheira is a nice melee addon for Korgan (I even use her with Quarterstaff), and a good extra spellsling (gotta love that druid spells).
    And finally Jan is all you need to make your party ready for all possible challenge : a great thief and a more then decent back-up mage.

I'm playing with a Blade as protagonist, although I guess a Ranger, or a Paladin, or maybe a Barbarian or a Monk could make the party even stronger.

19. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

Neverworlder: Don't call me Desp, I'm call DESPERADO (kidding). I'm please to fix your problem Neverworlder. But I wonder how a female half-orc barbarian (Gorgona) should look... must be ugly !!!

20. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] She's kinda hot (Charisma 9), in a I-can-flex-my-left-boob-and-crush-your-puny-human-skull sort of way.

And don't call her Gorgona, it's GORGANA (just kidding). Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited December 19, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.