1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Savegame names

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Firestorm, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] What do you call your savegames? I almost use as much time figuring out what to call the save as i do the name of my char. But one of my friends just hit some random keys on the keyboard and then press enter. What do you people do?

2. Black Rose Guest

I'm a quick save freak, but I name my saves after my protagonists. For example my newest save is called 'Sylyana Flameblood' after my Sorceress.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I use quicksave for all intermediate saves, and the named saves for milestones or points where I'm not sure if I'm about to make the right decision.

The named saves I name after where I am or what I was doing, or what I just did. For example "Start" or "Finished Unseeing Eye" or "Killed Bodhi" or "Before Heading to Brynnlaw".

In BG1 I wasn't sure if dropping Xan and dualling Imoen to a mage was the right decision, so I saved right before I did it and called it "Before Imoen Dual".

I use the names to remind myself of where I was and what I was doing or about to do.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Indeed, I use the same method as Blackthorne does. I normally use a savename that says what in what area the save is made. So: Athkala Bridge Destrict or Underdark or Mind Flayers lair. Sometimes I use the name of the quest: Unseeying Eye Cult or Die Bodhi-bitch :)

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] In every single game I name the saves "YUKK1", "YUKK2", etc...

Only once I stepped out of that rule in BG2. One "interesting" dialog after resting in Firkraag's maze, made my rotten imagination to save the game under title:
    "Viccy busted" :evil:;)

6. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My savegames have vastly different names. For example, I may write something that contains the PC's name ("Bengt est de Ulm", "So totally Inzane"), only the PC's name ("Darth Gnomer"), the PC's motivations ("Violence for the Greater Balance!"), the type of characters I'm using ("Short Folk"), the name or type of a powerful enemy ("Dragon Slain") or something completely different ("Mooo!")
    To sum it up, I write whatever strikes me at the moment.

7. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I save my games under very mundane names such as venture1, Venture2.

I have disabled my quicksave, mostly because A.I usually have 2 games going at any given time.
    B. Pressing the Q button often happened by reflex or accident..sealing the fate of the the opposite game I previously had on quicksave.

8. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I use a mixture of naming conventions for my save games. Some of these include the following, at different times for different reasons:

1. Preface a save game with the character name - ex., Duharrel-xx1, Duharrel-xx2
    2. Use rule 1 and situation/location - ex., Duharrel - b4Firkraag, Duharrel - afterFirkraag
    3. Use rule 1 and 2 to indicate choice - Duharrel - noJanrescue, Duharrel - Janrescue
    4. Generic QuickSave
    5. Storyline differentiation - Skaldstory, Duharrel, Lerrahud...
    6. Differentiation between party makeups - AllFighter, 3F2C1M, Spellcastercentral
    7. Indicating a solo game - Solo-Lerrahud

As with the Paul Simon song, there must be 50 ways (probably lots more) to name my games...and yours too. Whatever works.

9. DemoGorgon Guest

I use Quicksave all the time, and when i dont use that, i just make short notes of where i am, like before i went to spellhold, i called it "Before Spellhold"

10. Silverblade Guest

I use A1, A2, A3 etc etc as the intermediate saves and use copy 1, copy 2, copy 3 for important milestones.

I use the letter A, because it is the first letter of my name and use the word 'copy', because I copy the important save games to another computer, in case my computer crashes or something like that.

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I am an avid quicksaver, but for my main game saves I keep the title relevant but witty (or corny depending on how you look at it), such as: Underdark blues, Something's fishy around here (Saemon's ship and the underwater city), Don't tangle with nature ;) (Trademeet/Druid grove), I'll see you in Hell, and such :grin:

12. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i dont save as often as i should but when i do its something like Trip(my name) and i just keep saving over it but if i need to save something to go back later, i save it as a name pretaining to what i am doing in the game at that time

[This message has been edited by Dark Xan (edited October 08, 2001).]

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Nothing interesting I'm afraid, just the characters name followed bty a number, or for a milestone in the game, a description of that point. eg: ass whuppin' lynch mob is when me and some buddies go and wipe out Bodhi and her friends. crude, but effective:)

14. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I decided at one point that excessive saving was cheese, so stuck mainly to autosave and one save slot per party. For this I think of a party name eg. Brotherhood of the Sword for my Pally Party, Guttersnipe for my shorty thiefy party, League of Woodsmen for my Ranger/Druid party (which I created teh protagonist for but then couldn't be bothered taking past Candlekeep - that's another thing, I like playing straight through so I've only finished SOA twice and ToB once). Needless to say, I was weak and gave up on this as soon as I got to a tough decision hard bit, and started clogging my drives with saves labelled "Before XXXXXXX fight" and so forth. Particularly bad was the final fight in TOB, but that's not relevant to this Forum, and ToB players can probably guess what I did....

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

quicksave =)

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I use Excotic names. Often so much that I can't track back which are where. what they do. And why they do it.

"Doomsday of Socrates" is of course reffering to Killing Twisted rune. etc. :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited October 09, 2001).]

17. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I just tend to have one save game per party, named after the protagonist, and to rely on quicksaves during a gaming session. If I have to make a decision which I'm not sure about (usually this doesn't happen, as I'm happy to go with my instincts), I'll save as <protagonist>2, and use that slot until I decide that what I decided was right, then go back to <protagonist>.

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I save before Major Events that will affect the gameplay, and name them like "The good guys" for a good party and "Baddies are here" for bad ones... I also use quicksave really often, 'cause I have only two games running and I always save it with a name when I quit, usually in the same slot. I also describe the situation, like: "Got people got weapons lets go" as my first save in the dungeons.

Ara
    (Jaw hurting... ow.)

19. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] i use the name of my main character and the main point of where they are in the game, also including whether its a solo or multi game. if i have decided to restart a game, i jus name it "<the name of the last game> PART 2" so i dont get confused between them.

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I also use sometimes other names. 2 examples:

- COOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
    (that was early in the morning in the golden ages of my BG addiction :))
    - Why do my parents always go to bed so early
    The computer is very near the door of my parents room. When my mother goes to sleep I have to quit the game for else she can't sleep due to my typing and other noices...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.