1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Decent choice for a PC?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Jhonka, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

[​IMG] 'Lo all, this is my first post, so hi. I was wondering, since I haven't played the game much (played several PCs through Irenicus' dungeon, then decided to start over since I didn't like my protagonist) I'm currently playing a Monk, and I'm liking him best so far, after trying a Fighter/Mage/Thief, an Archer, and a Totemic Druid.

Anyway, what would some 'logical' choices be for PCs as far as class goes? (Fewest available/good NPCs of that class, basically) I'm looking to get as 'complete' a party as possible. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, there really are no truly good thieves in the unmodded game. I'd recommend a fighter/thief if you are going to start anew. You can skate by with Imoen, Jan or maybe even Nalia, but I like using more of the thiefly abilities.

BTW, monks are fun, too, although, IMO they become overpowered (but so does a F/T, so who am I to talk?)

3. Jhonka

For the F/T would you recommend starting as a Fighter and dualing later, or doing a multiclassed F/T from the start?

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Depends on your race of choice really. If you like elves, or the "hooded avatar" go for the multiclass. If you like humans, go fighter then dual thief. Both are fun to play. I'd prefer to play an elven fighter/thief multiclass due to the elf's bonuses for thieving abilities.

5. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Half-elven Druid/fighter. My favourite character, awesome tank with anti-mage spells.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Shadow Druid - original post implied that PC and NPC's shouldn't overlap. Thus, your F/D could be Jaheira ('tis a fun character, though)

I'd go multiclass unless you are sure that you are only playing SOA without an experience cap remover, in which case dual from fighter to thief at level 9 or 13.

7. Jhonka

[​IMG] Thanks for the suggestions guys, I just started an Elven Multiclassed F/T, and he's already much fun :)

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I also must agree on Fighter/Thief being the logical choice for the PC. From a storyline perspective also it seems a good choice since being a bhallspawn you obviously had some kind violent urges and might have turned to physical power to solve some problems, yet being Imoen's best friend you would have picked a few things off her every now and again.

Fighter thieves are powerful and the PC will always be useful.

9. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Fighter/Theif, come on, i have better stuff with a Mage/Theif!

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

My Human Beserker[8]/Thief[x] was one of the best I've played. The ability to gain Grand Mastery in your weapon of choice overcomes the marginal loss in THACO. And your backstabs hurt! :grin:

As dmc said there are no good thieves in the game.
    Also there are no great GOOD clerics.
    And the Druids and Bard CAN be improved upon, so you might want to look into that.

Hope you reach the sunlight this time :thumb:

11. Jhonka

Speaking of backstabs... are there any special conditions for it other than being behind the target? (ie leaving shadows)

12. dmc

Media:
    You must be using a weapon that can be used by a single class thief (yes, you can backstab with a staff, you cannot, however, use a two handed sword). Be behind your target and either invisible or in the shadows. Your target cannot have true sight active or some similar illusion piercing device. (I think that you can avoid that problem if you are wearing the cloak of non-detection and are hiding in shadows -- I don't think the cloak helps if you are magically invisible.)

13. Jhonka

Cool, thanks. I'll try and remember that =)

14. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Good man, F/T is a great PC choice - it just seems logical to use the class.

15. eug1404 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Or you could try the much heralded(sp?)(and owerpowered) Kensai/Mage.
    Makes a perfect match with the no armor thing and you are practically invincible towards the end of the game.

16. GodChild's playdoll Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

SORCEROR!!

I mean c'mon, what more could you signify that the PC is a child of God than the ability to use magic without learning. Read sorceror's class description for detail.

17. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Man, I really think it is still the Theif/mage combo that rocks the house!

18. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Depends on your style:

- for the more melee style of playing, definitely go for F/T.

- for the more magic style of playing, go for cleric/mage. Kind of slow in advancement, but the payoff will be worth it.

19. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Except there is already a cleric/mage in the game, and the original post was about classes that were lacking in NPCs.

I just used BG1Tutu to play a F/T, and it was great fun. I think I'll enjoy BG2 when I finally get around to starting my next game.

Sorcerors can destroy anything in the game eventually, and there aren't any unmodded NPC sorcerors.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.