1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon for Minsc

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Capt Massacre, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What do you think is the best weapon for Minsc?
    I like the silver sword, and Lilarcor. He holds Lilarcor in hand for it's protection and conversation, but switches swords when it's killing time.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I alway dual weild him. I take some combination of two of the following: Axes, flails/morning stars, war hammers. He's a ranger anyway, I think dual-wielding is more appropriate.

EDIT: Ooops! Forgot to list which weapons! Usually main hand is either FotA, Azurege, or Frostbite? I'm not sure on that last one - the +3 one that does cold and acid damage - whatever that one's name is. Offhand is almost always Crom Faeyr.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I often equip minsc with a mace, so he can use a shield. Also, he becomes my vampire slayer, when wielding the mace of disruption.

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I like giving him Lirarcor for no other reason than I love listening to that talking sword. Later on, the Silver Sword is a better weapon (due to its insta-kill ability) but I still generally keep Lirarcor in place.

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I always give him a 2-handed sword of some kind - otherwise it doesn't feel like Minsc. I usually forget to get Lilarcor, and he ends up with the Sword of Chaos for most of the game. I give him the Silver Sword when I get it, but until then it's just the Sword of Chaos really.

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I usually give him Mana Bow, and the Warblade later in the game. Before I get those though it's Heartseeker and Lilicor.

7. Lutheo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

At first I give him Sarevok's old sword (can't remember the name). Then he gets Lilarcor. After chapter 6 i give him the Warblade +4.

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I can't speak for anyone else, but to begin, it's always Sarevok's Sword Of Chaos (if I haven't imported), then Lilarcor, then the Silver Sword (nothing like a bit of swish-chop-thunk to make life easier). Against Kangaxx, I get him to use the Wave Halberd. I think Minsc and Lilarcor are a match made in psychotherapy heaven, and I'm not sure who's the smarter of the two. IMoD is always the weapon for clearing Bodhi's lair, but other than that I've always given him a two-handed sword or halberd.

On my latest run through, though, I've got Minsc dual-wielding Frostreaver (Axe +3, cold and acid) and Stonefire (Axe +3, fire).

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

IIRC Minsc comes with two stars in two-handed weapons and maces, so that's what I give him. It starts with the Sword of Chaos +2 in chapter 1, and upgrades to Lilacor early in chapter 2. I think there's a +4 two-handed sword somewhere for the finally few chapters, hence I rarely give him the Vorpal Sword +3. (Just noticed: same as Lutheo)

For maces, he usually single-wields the Mace of Disruption. Handy for undead and Clay Golems. Single-wield because I just use the quick weapon slots to switch between slashing and bashing damage. It's too troublesome to re-equip in the character screen.

For range, I can't remember if he had proficiency points anywhere... I think he used crossbows. But I usually don't give him any range.

10. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I tried using him a s a ranged fighter, and although he did remarcebly well, it din't feal right. Usually I give him Lilcanor until he has two pips in axes and then let him dualwield. But it all depends on what kind of game I want to play. More often then not he just wields the biggest baddest weapons in the game and rejoyces for all hamsters and rangers :)

11. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If my main character is dual wielding longswords and katanas I always have him equip a 2 handed weapon. Otherwise I have him dual wield longswords and katanas.

12. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well I rarely ever use Minsc (I take Keldorn or Valygar instead) but when I do I think he's best suited to Longbows or duel weild personally, since he's a Ranger and Rangers are meant to Duel weild, so I give him Flails and Maces/Morning Stars, and then 2H swords when I have ** in 2H style doubling the chance of a critical hit. A -1 reduction might seem very small but I've done that with Keldorn before and about 1/5 hits (very approximate guess) as a critical, so it's definately worth the time.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I remember having Minsc dual-wield maces, katanas, axes, use 2H swords and halberds.

While katana is the best weapon for a thief, a thief is not the best person to put Celestialy Fury to good use. A ranger with good thac0 is a better choice. Dual-wielding is already almost maxed, so it comes natural. Some very high damage combo.

Dual maces are anti-undead suite, especially if one of them is Mace of Disruption. Azuredge if axes. Azuredge and Mace of Disruption if you can use both :D

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I forgot about maces! Yes, he comes with two stars in maces at the beginning of the game, so I typically have him equip the IMoD, although it's not his main weapon. It's in the quick weapon slot, but typically he's using some other weapon unless he's fighting undead.

15. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The advantage of two hands swords over dual wielding is that with that, Minsc, whose AC is a problem, can hide behind low AC characters and strike from second line. With dual wielding, which I never did with Minsc I admit, he would be more exposed.
    Some mention katanas or flails... OK, but he must gain the proficiencies first, while he's ready for swords. And of course, good swords are available quite early.
    While he's good with bows, he's better with swords IMO. When I read ther damages he does quite early in the game I'm impressed: often 20!
    Because of his high AC, I generally don't use Minsc against vampires despite his hate of them. I would have liked Drows or Golems as enemies.

16. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] A couple of posters use the Warblade +4. May I ask why you use that weapon? :whoa:

17. Sevarus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I use the Warblade mainly for RP purposes. It just seems so... Minsc.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's +4, and other than Carsomyr, which Minsc can't use, it's the only 1d12 weapon available. Plus, it just sounds like it's meant for Minsc.

edit - I usually switch between that and the Vorpal Blade in the later stages, though I'm also quite fond of the Flame of the North, for the 10% magic resistance and the added +4 damage to chaotic evil creatures.

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

+4 or +3 is of practically no importance at that point and special abilities of a weapon is far more useful. Lilarcor and the Silver Sword are superior.

I can understand the "It's so Minsc" role playing argument. :)

20. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I prefer two-handed weapons for him, because he is a ranger, so you should give obviously a bow, and for the swords, lilarcor is pretty good and cool, cause lilarcor is inhabited by a crazy spirit, and Minsc is also not 100% normal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.