1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ranged weapons too strong?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by nesquik98, Jul 24, 2003.

1. nesquik98 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hi i'm currently playing with this part:
    me; fighter/thief
    imoen; dual to mage
    minsc
    jaheira
    kahlid
    ajantis

all of my guys use ranged weapons and the game is just too easy! if i give them all bows and arrows they kill everything before it even comes close! why would anyone want to use anything but ranged weapons?

2. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Because of the challenge it takes to beat the game, and the always lurking boredom you get if the game is to easy?

3. New Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Because everyone in my party uses bows like the village drunks?

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Because we're not powergamers?

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Because we like rapid-fire sarcastic responses? Seriously gentlemen, that was impressive. ;)

6. nesquik98 Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] in reply to the thing about powergaming...

i have a very hard time not "powergaming". i mean bows were put into the game on purpose so i'm not exploiting anything, and so why on earth would i sit there and risk having to use potions and spells and stuff when i can just kill them all almost instantly with arrows? i even tried increasing hte difficulty and it still too easy

7. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

One of the things that makes bows overpowered in BG, especially when compared with BG2, is the underwhelming speed of the characters. You can usually get 3 or 4 arrows into an ogre before it can get within melee distance. On the flip side, it bites fighting a group of bandits or hobgoblins with bows.

[ July 24, 2003, 20:52: Message edited by: CamDawg ]

8. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The you will get a very (almost) easy game to beat, where is the challenge in that ?

Because it gets boring when you have done that through half the game - at least thats my opinion.

9. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

@CamDawg:

That's really true :)

But IMO it's kinda cool to send a wall of arrows on the ugly beasts that's plaguing the Sword Coast...

10. New Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG]
    Wait till you run out of arrows, you'll regret not taking those +1 two handed swords...

*Listens to "Sakura Saku"*

11. nesquik98 Gems: 1/31

i admit i'm not a heavy roleplayer but i am sortof... i mean if i was a fighter out there risking my life i would want to kill whatever as easily as possible not thinking about what is cooler to do or whatnot... and as for the hobgoblins being hard to kill with bows i just faced a big pack of hobgoblins that demanded my iron and gold (i think it was east of the bergost temple) and i killed about 8 of them in under 10 seconds. maybe i should try soloing? would that make the game harder?

12. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I don't think they're overpowered at all. They are just what they should be, it's just that in BG1 enemies are low on hps and armour class. In BG2 the bows weren't reduced in power, it's just that there is no real way to add extra damage to a bow + arrows, whereas melee you have strength bonuses and all the enemies have high hps and better ac.

13. Amalasryl Gems: 1/31

I don't think bows are overpowered - as some have mentioned, it's easy enough to defeat enemies with bows. The problem, I think, is that the AI isn't designed to deal as well with players using bows. That's how I've always thought of it, anyway....

14. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The AI works fine for ranged weapons in BG. Just as New said, You will run out of missles at some point. That's when you have to use your noggin ;)

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    If you're truly role-playing, then there is no way Minsc would be wielding a bow for most battles. He would definitely prefer melee weapons. Same goes for Ajantis.

16. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Aldeth, good point ;) The Evil alternatives are Kagain and Shar-Teel.

17. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31

If you feel that ranged weapons are too powerful and you can't help but use them why not try downloading something to make the game harder like the Heart of Fury or one of the many others available.

I've found that I tend to just use bows and slings aswell so I'm going to use an item editor to lower the power of ranged weapons, improve melee weapons and maybe generate some really good new swords and stuff. I advise anyone with the same tendency to try this. :cool:

18. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I never use ranged weapons, the danger of being ambushed and forced into melee or running out of arrows is too great. When you're up against hordes of enemies with town miles away or just unaccessible it's really rather hard to keep up the hail of arrows.

19. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I often prefer to melee as well. Ajantis and Minsc love to wade in.

I think though that there are some situations in BG1 where using missile weapons first is a matter of common sense (survival) and therefore good role-playing.

Take for example the Werewolf Village, when almost the whole lot turn on you. You have a limited amount of time to make it to the ship. I think even Minsc in such a situation can grasp that killing safely at a distance is only being practical.

[ August 31, 2003, 06:13: Message edited by: Beren ]

20. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think it's no spoiler:

In BG 1, you may use your ranged weapons in melee without penalties, in BG 2, your AC drops 4.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.