1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4-player party advice?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sockum, Oct 23, 2001.

1. sockum Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'd like to play SOA/TOB through for a second time. I'm thinking of playing with only a 4-player party (me and 3 NPCs). Any advice on what a good 4-player party would be? I'm thinking I should have 2 fighter-types, 1 cleric-type, and 1 mage-type character. So tell me what 4-player party you would use!

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Hehe I will tell you what 4 player party I did use to accomplish what you hope to do>>>

Corwin Dellalt (DC Ranger/Cleric)
    his sweatheart Aerie (MC Mage/Cleric)
    and his good friends Valygar (Stalker)
    and Mazzy (Fighter)

I played Core Rules and had a blast. Good luck with whoever you choose!

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Hmmm; This may not be to everyone's taste, but the four person party I'd pick, taking into consideration TOB, is this one...

-Human Cavalier (PC): Lots of resistances, hard against demons and dragons and can use some of the best magic items in the game.
    -Haer'Dalis: Again, lots of resistances. Couple this with the appropriate spells/armoury and Mr. 'Dalis becomes unbeatable in melee.
    -Aerie :Multiclasses rule in TOB making Aerie your ultimate magic lady, particularly with less people as she will get the extra experience she needs much more quickly.
    -Jan :Reluctant though I was to ditch Imoen, Jan's thief skills would ultimately give him the edge over her in this magic-heavy party.

*phew* Thats surprisingly difficult; I wanted Mazzy and Jaheira in there somewhere too. Good luck with your party :D

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 24, 2001).]

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Play a Thief-Only party too! One pure Thief, a Swashbuckler/Mage of Thief/Illusionist, an Assasin, one Cleric/Thief and a Stalker (ranger kit)

Now you can hide in shadows with the whole party! It really is funny and useful!

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

id take will's party except id make my main character a fighter/thief to free up the last character slot for another character of choice (id take either jaheira, mazzy, korgan or cernd)

6. yappie! Guest

[​IMG] How about an All Evil Party? I have:

An Elven Asassin (PC - wielding 2 Bastard swords at THAC0 -8!)
    Edwin - great caster
    Viconia - the ONLY cleric worth getting
    Korgan - Better than minsc and only slightly worse than Mazzy.

When i moved into ToB, i swapped Korgan for Sarevok. :flames: !

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

You really should play a multiplayer game with 4 characters, created by yourself!

8. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't think I would use a four person party but if I did it would be;

A human Inquisitor or Cavalier (I love Paladins :) ) ,
    An elven or halfling swashbuckler,
    An elven sorcerer,
    and a half-elf priest of Lathander.

If you took a fifth person though I would suggest an archer.

9. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A good evil party would be:

Fighter/thief - race doesn't matter much, though elf or halfling would be nice.

Korgan - Give him a good axe and the dwarven thrower (and later Crom) and he'll take care of whatever nasty creatures you come across. :grin:

Viconia - A great cleric, can also be used as a fighter if need be (like that's going to happen when Korgan's around ;)).

Edwin - The omnipotent wizard.

10. Shrike00 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Try this:

PC - Dwarven Avenger (using SK)
    Keldorn - Dispel magic and Carsomyr rule!
    Jan - Only thief that can advance to high levels (and you can keep)
    Aerie - A Dwarf can get lonely can't he?

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    now that I nearly finished BG-2 SoA with my archer and his sidekick mc fighter-mage I think it's time for a change:

(a) I never played tha game evil - so now it is time for a party of *really* evil thugs :evil:
    (b) There are four classes I haven't played yet: Monk (too powerful and too similar to a good thief), Cleric, Bard and Druid (Horrors!).

As I think now I'll try a rather soft skinned and spellcaster party, poor on melee abilities and ranged weapons:

Main char coices:
    -ce halfling priest of Talos (unfortunately not Cyric :( ) OR
    -ne halfling kensai with str-17 using *shortswords* (I actually tend towards the halfling kensai)

Properly aligned support PCs:
    -ne halfling assassin
    -ce elven jester or better skald (my allround-support char: loremaster, pickpocket & shoplifter, assistant mage and my parties' business end for shopping ;) ;) , skald in case of the kensai for the AC/ THACO boni of his song)
    -Edwin - for he's by far the best mage in the game

These four will form my main party.

-maybe Viconia (not when I choose the priest of Talos) and Korgan as guest stars ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited October 30, 2001).]

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Ragusa, play with a party of only 4... why don't you just create a halfling mage? When you give him/her good stats he will be just as good as edwin.... but doesnt complain as much :)

13. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm, sounds great :) maybe a halfling necromancer or conjurer and why not a halfling skald as well :) :) ?

:love: halflings galore ! :love:

thanks for the inspiration, headbanger

14. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Take a look at the Creativity surge for some ideas of partys, and interesting ways of useing you charecters.

=============================================

Why don't you tell it like it really is?

15. Shrike00 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

What's the Creativity surge?

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

It's one of the forums, for creativity of the mind of visitors here, wich can be a Journey of a party in BG or BG2, or a story, or poetry etc....

Creativity Surge is one forum above Whatnots. The Forum description says:

For adventures of Magic and Mayhem written by the members of Boards O' Magick. Add your own original story to the ranks, based on the (A)D&D games or created in your own imagination. Please add a tag to the end of the topic that will identify your post: for example (BG2) or (ToB), (Poetry) or (Fantasy) etc.

17. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've decided that my next party (as soon as Celestine finishes her quest) will be made up of two PC's and two NPC's.

PC: Elven Archer
    NPC: Anomen
    PC: Swashbuckler d Cleric
    NPC: Imoen.

Now that is a badly unbalanced party (two thieves, two clerics, and only one mage). But I'm enough of a veteran to play with a badly-balanced party and have fun doing it, so....

18. Ragusa

Media:
    I actually decided on my own unballanced "four evil halflings" party ;)

PC:
    -Sul Barakhan - le male halfling kensai
    17/ 18/ 18/ 14/ 17/ 12
    **** in shortswords, ** in single weapon style

Assistant PCs:
    -Nindil - ne female halfling assassin
    17/ 19/ 18/ 8/ 17/ 6
    * in longswords, daggers and crossbows (seem to fit an assassin better than a shortbow), * in single weapon style
    -Morgidis - ce female halfling conjurer ;)
    10/ 18/ 15/ 18/ 17/ 6
    * in staffs and slings
    -Pieter Sturmbock - ne male halfling skald
    14/ 19/ 16/ 17/ 12/ 17 (dex-19 on costs of wis ;) )
    * in longswords, shortbows, mace and * in single weapon style

I definitely lack AC and substantial *tank* qualities so I have to rely on stealth and spells instead - I just left Irenicus' dungeon and it is pretty hard to survive sometimes. However: spook, horror, chaos, emotion, domination and other mind affecting spells are very effective to overcome my lack of AC (and slaughtering helpless enemies quite well fits the role for my main char)
    Actually I have Jaheira and Viconia in my party - so I am *very* spell minded now :)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 03, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.