1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Reputation Decreasing Tactics?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Enagonios, Feb 24, 2006.

1. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

It must be really embarassing to have to rely on such reputation decreasing tactics.

If you try to explain that to a roleplayer who doesn't know BG he'll probably stay away from this game forever.

Why don't you just use a mod instead ?

2. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It may seem like semantics but I think thieving and stealing are actually two different things in the game (although they are based on the same proficiency). Thieving is when you use the thieving skill icon. Stealing is done in the trade window via the steal icon. Yes you can pickpocket (thieve) the ring of regeneration from Ribald at the Adventurers Mart and you don't have to wait until chapter 6. You can do it as soon as you get out of Irenicus' dungeon in the start of chapter 2 (or anytime after that). Your PC doesn't have to be a thief either, you just need a thief in the party to do the dirty deed. You cannot however steal any items from the store's inventory itself. So forget about stealing that Girdle of Hill Giant strength from him. There is no steal icon in the trade screen like there is at Bernard in the Copper Coronet and other merchants/fences throughout the city.

[ March 07, 2006, 20:59: Message edited by: Isshy ]

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I used the reload option with Viccy when I went through with my Cavalier. Every time she started talked about the next time she'd see me would be on the battle field, I just reloaded. My poor Paladin had to put up with so much crap from Viccy and how does she repay him by getting the group good prices and friendly reactions? She straight up leaves, talk about a...

So anyway, reloading is the best thing to do if you want to role play your character properly without loosing an evil character and like me, have some puritanical urge that the first time a character of yours beats the game, the game must be completely unmoded...

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Or you could just happy patch. ;)

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Bah too easy. If you patched you wouldn't have the fun that Viccy brings when she says she's leaving after right after dealing with a boss character you lucked through, because your level was too low, but before you could save the game :mad: .

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

In ToB party members don't leave any more because of reputation.
    Why? Probably because the game developers learned how stupid this was.
    Good for marketing phrases but bad for gameplay.

I recollect the "help cross the street" example of the good-neutral-evil description.
    The good helps.
    The neutral might help.
    The evil one helps for a small fee.

In the game:
    You help the people for a reward.
    You get the reward and the reputation increases.
    Because of that your evil comrades leave your party cursing.

Next time you better don't collect rewards for helping, then your evil party members will remain content.

For this reason I don't consider the "happy party mod" cheating. The oddities you do to keep your reputation low seem to be more against the spirit of the game.

7. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

There are certain ones you can demand more of a payment and such I think. But Maybe I'm remembering BG1 instead. I tend to play good groups and just deal with them trying to desert on me.

8. Lady Constance Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Oh another rep decreasing tatic, althought it would not be one you would necessarily want to preform, if you are playing an evil party, allow the towns people to burn Viconia, that = Rep.-2

9. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    Do you get a rep decrease if you kill the Svirfneblin party in the Underdark for Solaufein? I haven't actually done that before.

10. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Don't know the answer to that last one. I never really took the evil path on this mini-quest, but if I had to guess, probably no, because Veldrin (your drow alias) would take the blame anyway. But it might not be that way, since you can get a rep increase for freeing the slaves in Ust Natha and that would also be under the Veldrin identity, so...

100% agreed with kmonster's post. But I'd have to say, more than a quest actually leaves you the option of gaining XP without a rep increase. Or maybe just 2 of them (the circus on promenade and "helping Tiris in Trademeet"). When having problems with rep too high I remembered those ones and slapped myself on the forehead. Those were exactly the 2 points I had to lose by trying to steal from a store. So much for roleplaying.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, not that I've seen. Besides, killing five 'innocents' would take even the goody-goodiest character down to a rep of 2. One never knows what Baldurdash fixes, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.