1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's a monk's prime requisite?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Izaad, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Izaad Guest

Im not quite sure if its strength. And do any have a requisite of constitution?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A monk is essentialy a fighter, therefore they need high strenght, dex and con. Dont put con higher than 16, you dont get any bonuses for higher than that. It is essential that you have 18 dex on your monk, unability to wear armour makes high dex very important in the beginning.

3. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You DO get bonuses if you got more than 16!! Atleast if you got 18; my kensai/mage had 18 and I sacrificed 1 con in spellhold and lost about 10-15 HP.

Have something like this:
    - 16 Str, my Monk could do fine with a girlde of Strength.
    - 18 Dex, alot of AC bonuses and you'll get bonus for being a Monk to.
    - 18 Con, HP...
    - 7-10 Int, no need for that.
    - 14-18 Wis, ALOT of bonuses to saving throws!
    - 9-10 Cha, something like that...

MY Monk had:
    - 16 Str, girdle of Stone Giant Strength an voila, 20 str :D
    - 18 Dex
    - 18 Con
    - 7 Int
    - 16 Wis
    - 8 Cha
    He pulled through to the end :D
    Hope this helps... some atleast :grin::p:D

Cheers.

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

18 con does *not* help. Classes other than fighters, fighter multi-classes and fighter kits do *not* get hp bonuses for con above 16.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Like Volar said: Contitution higher then 16 has no effect on the HP of a Monk, only to fighter, dual classed included.

This is not, I repeat NOT true, Spetznaz!
    I made 2 characters, both being a monk, both exactly the same (even name and voice) but only 1 difference: 1 had 9 Wis, the other 18.
    They both had exactly the same savingthrows, as had been said in other Threads.

'This behaviour must NOT continue! See the burning stare of my hamster?!'

BTW: Be sure to give your Monk the Gauntlets of Crushing: +4 Thac0 and Dmg when attacking with fists....

[This message has been edited by Master of Nuhn (edited April 09, 2002).]

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Classes other than fighters, fighter multi-classes and fighter kits do *not* get hp bonuses for con above 16.

Does this include the Paladin andd Barbarian? They are considered fighters, aren't they?

'Raging into madness, will this itch ever end?'

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmnn, I seem to have a somewhat confusing point of view. Rangers and paladins are warrior classes and share hit die, experience charts, thac0 and other stuff with fighters, so I consider them fighters. That means yes, they too get the bonuses from high con. Barbarians are a bit different, and weren't even basic classes in Ad&d so I tend to forget them. They too get the bonuses from high con. But monk is a 'priest' class, with cleric and druid, and therefore does not get the bonuses. Hope it clears things up some.

Thank gods for the new D&D :p

8. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Wisdom DOES affect! You'll get amazing bonuses when you level up and you saving throws go down very much. My thief with 18 wisdom hasn't EVER been charmed, stunned (from power word and symbols), confused etc. Not even in the Mind Flayer lairs. But my Kensai/Mage gets that kinda often and he has only 14 wis. Ok, here's the deal iirc:
    3-7 something like that (never has so little) you'll get penaltys on saving throw as you lvl up.
    8-13 iirc "normal" Saving Throws.
    14-18 you'll get "improved" savings, different values from different Wisdom.

Sorry guys about the Con, didn't know that :(. Just thought it was like that for all since my Kensai/Mage was a "Mage" when I lost 1 point of Con.

Cheers.

9. CBrate Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm remembering 3rd ed rules so it could be wrong but doesn't wisdom play a part in boosting a monk's AC?

10. ArchAngel Guest

Not in SoA. I have a strong feeling that wisdom doesn't help AC.

Anyway high widom gives bonuses to minds saves which is what Spetznaz is experiences to its fullest.

15 +1 to mind saves
    16 +2
    17 +3
    18 +4 (which is pretty spiffy) :)

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited April 10, 2002).]

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

Hold up--what does Int get you if the char is not a mage or casts mage spells?

12. C'Jakob Guest

Lore bonuses. That's why you see Paladins and Fighters with INT 3 or 4 and 18 STR, DEX, CON. :rolleyes:

Oh, and wisdom was supposed to help a monk in 3E AD&D, representing a preternatural awareness of danger in terms of AC. Apparently that wasn't implemented in BGII.

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited April 10, 2002).]

13. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Heh, my thief had +2 cloak of prot. and 18 wisdom, wich was boosted in Watchers Keep and bonus from Bhaal's Tears in hell. He had 20 or 21, can't remeber. Wisdom just rocks. If you create a Fighter or something fighterlike, and give him 18 wis, it will be much easier to battle mages (power words, symbols, confusion, charm etc.).

Cheers.

14. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

High wisdom does nothing against power words because there is no saving throw against that kind of spells. And I don't think that a wisdom of 18 really would give a +4 to saving throws against mind affect spells. Wisdom is only important for priests(number of spells) in BG2 saving throw bonuses were not implemented.

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sorry Guys (esp. Spetznaz)!! Really, I thought wisdom only affected your mind-saves in the PnP style, but it seems it does in BG2 too. Sorry for the mistake...but i havent seen it before, at least..i didnt notice it and will check it if i level up again with these monks....:heh:

16. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] I always thought it was a hidden bonus, The BG2 rulebook has meen mentioned by many to be flawed and withholding.

Of course I could make a combat scenarion With a Monk wisdom 3 and a monk widom 18 and see if there is a statistic difference.

17. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    I made a monk with 9 (lowest) and one with 18 wisdom. leveled them up with the clua (call it cheating, i call it research ;)) and they both didnt get better saving throws.
    I probably did something wrong, as they didnt get any better ST, none of them, poison, mind-bizz, spell. Zip, zero, zilch.
    Tell me, what did I do wrong?

18. Izaad Guest

That really depends on how much you leveled them up, saving throws don't go up every level, only every few levels...right?

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There was a pretty wild wisdom saving throws discussion on this board awhile ago and I am pretty sure that they after some extensive researc found out that wis has NOTHING to do with saving throws. It may say so in the manual but it never got implemented. If some of the people that were active in that discussion would give their opinion I would be grateful.

20. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Yeah...That's what I thought,too....Somebody made a savingthrow-table iirc. But there was something wrong with the wiz-things.
    Guess that's the same thread I read and thus I was quite sure.
    In PnP-style it does affect saves vs psionics etc, but in BG2....im still not sure.
    btw: I leveled these monk up quite some levels, they should have had better saves after that, so I think there's something wrong when using the CLUA

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.