1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to kill Kuroisan fairly?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] Hello there!I am a newbie to this site,but I have a complex problem. How can someone kill Kuroisan in tactics mode without cheese? I have found a nasty way but it is not fair but hey,Kuroisan is not fair. I made my party invisible,for some reason he can not see invisible or cast true sight. Then my PC cleric/mage equipped with the staff of magi,let out cloudkills on him,then immediately go invisible with the staff. Ofcourse I had casted Spell immunity:conjuration to avoid his acid arrows. Anyway,I casted cloudkill,go invisible,casted again,(even used wands!),go invisible again and eventually he choked into death,unable to take action until he dies a rather miserable and pathetic death. But I do not like this method. Does anybody give me some advice how to kill him much fairly?Thanks in advance! PS:His katana is SOOO cool,and in the hands of a str25 kensai(with Crom Feayr ofcourse) is by all means the deadliest and most fearsome weapon!

2. Vulpecula Equuleus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Haste, Breach and Potions of Giant Strength.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I do breach him but it has NO effect! He is nearly immune to spells, plus he repeatedly casts protection from magical weapons no matter how many times I breach him, then he slays us pretty quick, not the mention his acidic arrows, death fogs(OH I am playing in insane, by the way.), and fearsome katana! He is so annoying, I have to do the cheesy tactic above. I don't like tactics like these, I never do it but I have no other chance or choice! Or should I give up Celestial Fury? NO WAY!Please help me find a satisfactory strategy against him! (by the way,tactics mode is so cool!)

4. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Keldorn and the Holy Avenger with his and the swords dispel magic abilities. That might help a little.

5. Vulpecula Equuleus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Silverstar,
    Not sure how you're party is set up, but your spellcaster could cast Invisibility 10' radius then whoever has the Staff of Magi fires his/her missile weapon at him then goes invisible again. He has a certain number of protection from magical weapons scrolls 3 or 4 I think, and has it memorized a couple of times, but if you can force him to use up his scrolls, then have your invisible characters surround him and keep hacking away he should fall.
    BTW I don't think thats Acid Arrows, I believe it's some kind of defense (from his +4 Katana) where a character will take acid damage for a few rounds anytime they attempt an attack on him.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You can ignore the katana's acid effect by having a character wear one of the armors that protects from acid and also have either the green acid protection scrolls or the mage spell on those who are going to attack him.

Also, I see nothing cheesy in using an item according to its description. The staff of the magi allows for constant invisibility. If you installed tactics (as you must given that you're fighting Kuroisan) then chances are you installed the improved twisted rune (if not, shame on you). The mage with the staff uses it to constantly go invisible there, so why shouldn't you?

Anyway, buff your couple of warriors with the acid protection, have breach memorized and also have normal weapons wielded as well. It's not that tough when you are prepared.

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hell, beat him into unconsciousness with your fists, if you have to. PFMW ain't worth a lick if they pummel you with cold steel.

8. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

AFAIK he has about 5 or 6 scrolls with protection from magical weapons and has a non-droppable cloak of cheese, boots of avoidance and a belt of inertial dampener, making him hard to hit with missile weapons and resistante to magic. Protect everybody from acid and use normal weapons to bring him down. Gulp invisibility potions when your people get to hurt. I wouldn't suggest allowing your mage to be visible for to long, since he seems to target them quickly.

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Oh so this is it! He has the game's most cheesy equipment as possible! I believe my strategy is good, but I wonder if anybody could defeat him without such tricks? My party has big me(cleric/mage dual class),a kensai that I made up for pure melee power, Jaheira, Minsc, Nalia and Aerie.I know its not a perfect party, but I like(no, LOVE) these guys! Anyway,I installed all tactics modes, yet I don't remember the batlle to get Staff of Magi.It was very chaotic and quick,I had True Sight, time stop,alacricity etc. and casted a lot of horrid wiltings with contingencies.(My PC isn exported char. with high xp, and now I am testing him in Tactics mode in insane.) So I do not remember if the mage used staff's invisibility trick. But I won't be suprised if she did, enemies are so intelligent and sometimes cheesy in tactics. It's great to test my limits! thank you guys!

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

From what I remember of Six-of-Spades post elsewhere, Kuroisan casts Stoneskin only once but Protection-from-Magical-Weapons about 6 times.
    IIRC he used the crossbow (fire-something) bought from the Adventurers' Mart. It adds +2 fire damage over and above any damage from the bolt.

When you first meet Kuroisan dispel his Stoneskin. Then while he concentrates on some tank have a (hasted) charecter pepper him with unenchanted bolts from this X-bow. He does not have Protection-from-Normal-Missiles and his Protection-from-Magical-Weapons does not interfere with the unenchanted bolts hitting him. The added fire damage hurts him but it does not trigger the acid backlash.

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ofcourse! he can't be immune to normal weapons too, right? This looks like a good idea. Thank you! But how or where can I get that crossbow?
    He has a very nasty regeneration rate, thanks to his katana!
    I hate him.
    Yet I do respect him.
    And I want to kill him fairly.
    This seems the only possible way to do it.
    My own strategy is very easy but I am not comfortable with it.
    I'll try yours.If anybody has a different strategy, please tell me ASAP!

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Ribald - Adventurer's Mart - Waukeen's Promenade - Athkathla

Heavy Crossbow of Searing +1
    A marvel of engineering, this crossbow covers bolts in oil and sets them alight when fired. It is enchanted as well, likely to keep the mechanism working smoothly. It bears the hallmarks of the inventor's god, Gond.

THAC0: +1 bonus
    Damage: +3 (missile), +2 fire damage
    Weight: 10
    Speed Factor: 9
    Proficiency Type: Crossbow
    Type: 2-handed
    Requires: 12 Strength
    Not Usable By: Druid, Cleric, Mage, Thief

13. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

One of the non-cheesy ways:
    Have one of your mages (the highest level) use PFMW and (Minor) Globe of Invulnerability to stop the Acid Arrow (from katana). Just stand there and let him attack you. You could also use Si:Abj. to stop his remove magic. If he breaches you quickly recast PFMW. In the mean time use True Sight, a couple of Ruby Rays and Breaches and whack him. Protect from acid or use Globe of invulnerability or Spell Turning, Spell Deflection, Spell Trap, Shield of Archons, ...

Good way to dispel many of his protections are also Arrows of Dispelling. (when he is not under PFMW)

Jaheira's Insect Plague can annoy him very much. :D

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Thank you very much! You are very creative! ..and experienced!
    I guess everybody can have bad times against Kuroisan, I was so badly beaten in the first place that I thought he was immortal or a something like a lesser deity?(due to the fact I could not even SCRATCH him.) Well, he is a kensai mage with what levels? Must be pretty tough. he gives good experience, regardless, and his katana is just joking! Never have I seen such a perfect weapon! In the hands of my kensai, along with cute Crom Faeyr, it ROCKS! He does insane damage in one round, blasting foes into tiny chunks of meat...do you wonder what happens when he greater whirlwinds? but it is a subject of Throne of Bhaal, so I will not post it here!(he is just a complete joke with 19con and 25str and with such evil weapons!What was his THAC0? -25 OR BETTER?..HEHE.)

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    The Crossbow of Searing+1 is unreliable. Sometimes the fire damage connects, sometimes it doesn't. This is based from my previous games without tactics though - I'll have to test it again sometimes.
    If I wanted to kill Kuroisan in SoA fairly, I'd just cast Protection form Magic on him before cutting him to bits with my PC Blade. *This* is being fair.
    But if you want to try the conventional way, it becomes more of a matter of a)outlasting him if you want to take him dead-on, or b)baiting him with a mage as Leslie posted while the other characters work to killing him with non-Magical weapons while being protected from Acid.
    a) is a terrible waste of spell scrolls though, but I've done it with my Blade. (and regretted losing the scrolls once I was through with him)
    Fighter Mages are luckier in SoA since they can use Vhailor's helm.

EDIT: ToB content removed

[ April 01, 2005, 19:02: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Uhh, this is tricky! If the crossbow is unreliable, then...
    Casting protection from magic on a target should dispel all protection spells on him too?
    I used it on Irenicus, but his protections were not removed!
    It was fun to see him trying to cast that chaotic Wail of the Banshee but fail miserably; but I had a hard time since I could not dispel his protections via breach or something.
    But in Ice Wind Dale2, that scroll actually dispels protections on the victim too (VERY handy for final bosses)
    Which is true?
    NonSequitur suggested pounding him until he faints with FISTS?(no monk) was this a joke or can this method be used? (it will be SO funny, we will all beat him badly and teach him a reason? Ofcourse weaklings should be strengthened via spells and potions...)
    Thanks.

17. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

:shake:
    I do think that you can beat him with your non-magical firsts :D

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Oooo, I am dying to try this!
    Unfourtunately, it had been a long time I killed him, so next time...
    I WILL HAVE A SUPRISE!!! :D

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

This is how I killed him today!!

I memorized 3 Spell Immunities, and 2 Minor Globe of Invulnerabilities with my Fighter/Mage.

I then cast the MGoI then started fighting him. The acid arrows couldn't hurt me, and the acid damage from Sanchuudoku wasn't too bad.

Then...when those ran out, I had my Spell Immunity: Conjuration as a backup, and I kept beating him up with my Katana...with no magical enhancements, so it could punch through the Protection from Magical Weapons.

He was toast in no time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.