1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should I bother with BG1?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shralp, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Gueng Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wait, why should I listen to anyone else as to how I should judge a game? Personally, I like roleplaying D&D with friends a lot better than on a computer. The strength of computer RPGs is the combat system and visuals.

I'm saying that BGI pales in comparison to BGII because it is slow and narrow. Spending 2-3 hours fighting Kobolds is not my idea of fun. You also don't get much of a choice in BGI as to the path you take, if you're that hung up on the story. Where's the variety? Where's the replay value? There just isn't any IMO, whereas in BGII you get tons of different stuff to do with each character.

2. LonnieTheLazy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Gueng is right when it comes to variability. bg 2 has many choices. Yet Bg1 was probably my favorite game....ever. I could never go back and play it again though because of how much stronger my other chars are. And the thought of maybe losing to kobolds makes me want to yank my hair out. to sum it up Bg1 had a much better plot and you should play it in order because Bg2 is just a follow up that enriches the already incredible plot

3. Haymaker D'apeon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Aye, it depends what type of gamer you are. If you are a power type gamer well you would not like BG1 if you played BG2 first. Mainly because you are way more powerful in BG2 with better special abilities and higherlevel spells. If you are a more role play type of character you would enjoy BG1 perhaps more. I know the first time i played BG1 i was in awe. My only gripe with BG1 is that i find that you tend to wander around more uselessly than BG2.

4. just a guy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

after playing bg2 i went back to the first one and was very dissapointed. when i first played it i thought it was the greatest game ever but it really is nothing compaired to bg2. except kivan he was the man where is he in bg2??

5. Lestatpoet Gems: 2/31

This is a shot in the dark, but is there any possibility of releasing a BG1 patch that allows the "tactical" improvements found in BG2, but follows the same storyline. With the same engine, you would think this would actually be rather easy.

6. Malekith Gems: 2/31

Me too thinks thqt BG1 is a must also funny u actually meet some persons and knowing their destenie! BG1 is very difficult in some of its quest, they let u guess ofthen!
    And the end is fabulous! if u ever get to kill Sarevok of course! He's a hard boy!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.