1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should I bother with BG1?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shralp, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] Ok, so I'm loving BG2 -- first RPG I really liked to play.

I was thinking about getting BG1 so that I could have the fun of working through both (and then NWN) with the same character, but then I read a review (on Amazon, I think) that said people who start with BG2 will be annoyed by the original.

What do you folks think? I won't mind if things are different but if gameplay and/or graphics are seriously lame in comparison....

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Highly recommended.
    The gaming engine is essentially the same, so gameplay and graphics are quite similar.
    You cannot go wrong.

3. shadow_thief Guest

Plus, BG1 has a better plot to it and it's more...fun to play.

4. Gueng Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It really depends on why you liked BGII. If you never liked RPGs before, you will probably not like BGI. Besides, it is a mindbogglingly slow game. This isn't a comment on the game engine, this is a comment on the fact that you have to fight your way through crappy creatures with a crappy character for the first 15 or so hours of the game. There is one point where you have to go through 4 levels of *kobolds* (7 XPs apiece). You can get your AC down enough where they don't hit you, but it's like watching a boxing match between 2 blind people, because your THACO sucks. There are almost no weapons above a +2 (very few exceptions).

I really liked BGI when I first played it, but I tried again recently and was bored to hell. You may like it for the story the first time through, but if you like killing stuff and gaining levels, this isn't the game for you.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] In short: BG-1 is a *MUST* - better storyline than BG-2 and a nice atmosphrere. I still play it occasionally (for about two years now iirc).

6. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I agree with Ragusa: the story of BG1 is very-very good. I played the game in 1999 three or four times, and then again a month ago. I enjoyed the game after BGII too.And I liked the beginning of the game,too. The feeiling of the character making and progression ... And one last thing: the music is lot better than BGII.

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I have completed both games three times now and I still think BG1 was the better game. The engine does have some limitations compared to BG2 in terms of graphics, inventory, AI and path finding but the overall experience of BG1 was much richer for me. The point made above about the lower spec weapons and tons of low level enemies is true but should also be taken in context. The highest level you reach in BG1 is 8 which is wear you start in BG2. Therefore the game has to be balanced with monsters and enemies to suit. So don't expect to go up against a dragon in BG1 you'd have no chance but fighting a Wyvern is as big a challenge and hence just as rewarding. Anyway for some other views on this, have a look here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001760.html
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001962.html

And don't forget to play Planescape Torment either - in many ways it is better than both BG games.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000198.html

And if you do get both games be sure to let your friends know where you are as they'll wonder why no one has seen you for a few months :)

8. corval Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

it will be a big step down because of the low levels. but, you know, that is how you learn some real strategy. it makes you appreciate your character much more. plus, it is a great game. i would say do it.

another bonus: you get tomes that increase abilities. so, therefore, you character starting BGII could have 19's in certain abilities.

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] YES! in a word. BG and tales of the sword coast are brilliant and immersing. Plus it's fun to play them and then BG2 through :D.

10. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

I just purchased BG1 yesterday for 20 bucks.

I like the paper dolls. I like Jaheira's look. Sexy almost. Khalid sounds like a little biznatch. Every creature that managed to hit me killed me in one strike. 7 hitpoint completely sucks, I dont rememeber the goblins in Irenicus's dungeons defeating me in 1-2 blows.

I might actually forget finishing BG2 until I have a character to import from BG1.

11. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Methinks BG1 is a lot harder since your so weak.

12. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BG1 is far better as it doesnt tell you where the characters are, making it a lot more ace. You can get khalid, and he rocks, also theres durlags tower, hard as hell, but more rewarding than anything in BG2. Also Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, Xzar, he rules, god i wish you could get him instead of edwin on BG2, he was just so funny, i tried to save him from that harper, sadly i never managed.

13. DemoGorgon Guest

WOW,
    ive heard mixed reactions to this questions in other places, but i think i will try it. too bad they dont sell it my mlocal walmart. they didnt sell ToB either, I ordered it from EB.

14. corval Gems: 5/31

two words. Best Buy!

15. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    BG1 is better in my opinion, better graphics, better sprites, nice'er environment and better story... u cant go wrong... + i find the meandering around actually buindling who ur character is at low levels alot more fun, there are tome's to upgrade stats... it is great

16. shadow_thief Guest

Yep. I definetly agee. The story plot is the BEST!! Just try it and you'll see. The only problem is is that all the games are like a wild goose chase.(All the important quests that is,)

17. Gueng Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wow, looks like I'm in a minority here. I still say BGII is much better just because it moves a lot more quickly. And if you want a game for character development, BGI isn't it. If you want to fight Kobolds and be impressed by a computer game story, go for it.

ToB Spoiler...

**EDIT** Nope, I don't think so. :p Keep the ToB references out of this forum.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited August 03, 2001).]

18. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31

I think you should go through BG1/ToSC then BG2 and then ToB. Complete the whole trilogy with the same character.

19. shadow_thief Guest

Gueng, it isn't about enemies or how fast you can get through the game. It's the quality not the quantity. Next time, please make sure you mesure games with quality not quantity. Is chasing down someone who is totally unrelated to you better than chasing down someone who has a lot more importance to you and related to you?

20. corval Gems: 5/31

**EDIT**

you will be more effective having started from BGI and played the same character all the way thru.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited August 03, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.