1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Imoen or Nalia?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I always leave Nalia in Spellhold's dungeon and take Imoen with me. The past several games I've played, I don't even let Nalia join my party to do the keep quest.

I just like everything about Immy better than Nalia. :rolling:

3. Tananda Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Imoen always... not only is she a far better thief than Nalia (especially after a potion of thievery or two), but little sister is central to the conflict with Irenicus. Besides, even though she may not reach the higher mage spells as fast, she does reach them faster than most of the other mages in the game.

4. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    No need to be nasty to the poor dyslexic thief mage, Jag, not all of us can be intelligent you know... Maybe I should've called myself Quayle???

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Leaving Imoen in Spellhold is perhaps the hardest thing about soloing.
    Unless I'm playing an evil party - and even then at times - I take Imoen along. It breaks my heart to hear what she says if you leave her. The same goes with leaving Jaheira after having completed her quests, it's heartbreaking. :(

Since Nalia's personality gets on my nerves a bit I stay away from her and I really don't want both Imoen and Nalia in the party since they are so similar. I prefer more variety in skills.

Jan is excellent when it comes to party interaction, but as a mc Thi/Mag he's only average in SoA. With both Imoen and Nalia - and Yoshimo! - to compete with Jan never seem to get included in my Good aligned parties. He's perfect for Evil parties though, just give Imoen the boot and try not to feel too bad about it.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'd take Imoen every day. She's a better thief (and good enough to take care of any traps/locks, something Nalia's not so good at), more integral to the plot, and far less annoying than Nalia. Though I have to admit getting through chapters 2 and 3 without Imoen does make her less useful on the long run. But I never could get myself to leave her all alone in Spellhold...

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Nalia sucks. Imoen can atleast do my thieving and be an awesome mage at the same time. Imoen + Edwin take care of all my arcane needs.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, if you're willing to leave the roleplaying aspect out of it, Nalia is technically the better mage. She comes with a great spell book (the only decent spell you're missing for the first five levels is Magic Missile), and generally speaking, she's of a higher level than Imoen. The main purpose of taking Imoen (aside from roleplaying) is she can fulfill the role of thief more capably than Nalia. However, if you have a PC thief (or MC thief), and especially if you have Jan who is the best thief and has mage abilities, Imoen becomes extraneous.

9. Sevarus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Nalia's personality completely clashes with my own, so I always leave her out of my party unless I feel like hurting myself.

But (of course) I ALWAYS take Imoen.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I agree with Aldeth. I prefer Nalia to Imoen but always take Imoen when she turns up in Spellhold. Mainly because I feel guilty if I don't.

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

None, but if I had to take one of them, it would have to be Imoen, I can't stand Nalia at all. Especially her presentation speech, "Is anyone willing to hear my...etc." Yuck!

12. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Both, with Aerie thrown in for good measure.
    As a Paladin tank, with Minsc gives all the front-line fire power I've needed, with 6th spot going to whoever I feel like at the time.

13. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I always take the pair of em, extreemly alike but they both have their individual uses, Nalia for slightly better mage skills and Imoen for thieving.

If I had to make a choice though I'd ditch Nalia, neither characters are any good for the story but I do somtimes consider turning the volume to mute evertime I click on Nalia :mad:

14. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I've always taken Imoen with me. It fits the roleplaying aspect and I like her :) .
    Aside from that her thieving skills come in useful (are high enoiugh to be useful too) and she's a pretty useful mage to have along too.

15. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If someone would just make Imoen and Nalia be-gone mod, I would gladly download it. :p
    I don't like either of them.
    Jan and Aerie are much better than those two. You get almost the same casting potential, better thieving skills + a cleric.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Immy, Viccy, Aeri, Jaheri, and Minscy; that's my party 95% of time due of (again) roleplaying reasons (although Jaheri gets the boot at times :p ). Besides, Nalia is a bit pompous good-for-nothing -person. :nolike:

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    An interesting combination that I've never tried. The usual idea is to take one character who is specialized toward the arcane arts (choosing from Edwin, Nalia or Imoen) and one who is your backup mage (choosing from Aerie, Jan or Haer Dalis).

However, taking both Jan and Aerie would probably work. You get just enough mage (especially if you let Haer Dalis tag along as well).

18. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My last game was Skald, Korgan, Jaheira, Delainy, Aerie and Jan. Aerie and Jan work well together and have a vast arsenal of spells (Aerie especially - she is awesome), but (and its a BIG BUT), you have to wait such a very long time before getting Abi-Dalzims and even longer before getting Time Stop. I have vowed since to always have a main spellcaster (Ed, Immy or Nalia) and the other mage can be a multi-class (Aerie or Jan or someone else).

19. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Jan and Aerie can give just enough spell support to my group which consists of my archer, Minsc, Keldorn, Valygar, Aerie and Jan.
    Besides they have soooo good small talk, especially Valygar/Keldorn, Valygar/Aerie when it comes to worshipping gods.

20. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Nalia is just tooo anoying. She whines and whinges about everything. I played with her once or twice but now she annoys me too much. By contrast Imoen is great. Also on the mage front, Imoen is much better than Nalia, and she has a couple of higher thief levels to boot. For me the choice is Immy all the way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.