1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drizzt

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sarevok•, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

A level 16 kensai with proper stats and equipment could chunk Drizzt in a straight up fight. But then there's the rest of his posse of course.

3. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

"The PC may be the son of a god. But still not very powerful. Actually the PC doesn´t get much more powerful than any other human (or what race you choose) would be at the same levels. Drizzt however is more powerful in his fighting abilities than other people. There isn´t a PC you can make legally that get´s Drizzts abilities so therefor he is more powerful. (I know you ofcourse can buff yourself up and kill him, but I hope you understand what I mean and if you dont...)"

STOP MAKING SENSE!

Duke Eltan, you are an island of sanity in an ocean of diarhea....

4. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG]
    Well, maybe that PC is unarmed and not a monk then? Because if you count your equipment and special ability, then your PC is far better than Drizzt. Dragon-skin Armor, Gauntlets of Dexterity, Girdle of Giant Strength, Ring of Gaxx, Amulet of Power are a few of them.

Did I mention the Slayer? You can even kill him hand-to-hand with a mage that way.

5. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Pc is not the only one that can change equipment, and if Drizzt can kill a level 25-30+ fighter he can kill Slayer, or at least the BGII slayer (I haven't read the books about him.

Duke this leads me to think about why people get so upset over the mention of a Drizzt NPC mod when there's at least two NPC mods like Sola who you meet in the Underdark and then later on say's he will not join you (who is only a normal Fighter btw not a F/M) because he want's to look for like minded drow to become a party npc. And then there is Valen who is meant to side with Bodhi but there is also an NPC mod for her too.

So why is there no outcry of rage and anger over the above the same as Drizzt? is the fact simply that no one noticed this? but as Edwin said

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

There is outrage simply because Drizzt is 'not' a creation of Black Isle. His occurance is bad enough because that can't be justified. Elminster is understandable, he could teleport himself inside an acorn across two planes if he wanted to, so appearing outside Candlekeep is like opening a front door to us.

Drizzt has his own quest. His own agenda. He would 'never' join the PC because Drizzt never gets a break. He's always being called back and forth by friends or his past.

I'll admit, it's a nice idea and someone can make a mod if they like. However there is no justification for it and it not only changes the Bhall Saga but also Drizzt's own story.

Why don't we bring in giant killer mutant robot sharks with miniguns attached under their fins to help the PC? Because there is no justification for it.

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Umm isn't Baldurs Gate from the Forgotten Realms series. Correct me if I'm wrong but so is Drizzt. They are all connected by Wizards The Coast which connects all of it. Including Dragon Lance hence the Knights of Solamnia in the Planar Sphere. So really Baldurs Gate isn't even a creation of Black Isle it's all from Wizards pof the Coast.

Besides in the books Drizzt does travel to the south. Sure it's not to Athkatla but it is to Baldurs Gate and Calimport. Even farther south to Cadderlys place.

8. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31

I believe you are correct Benanthalin.

9. GI Gems: 5/31

Did you try it in-game yet?

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Yes this is correct, they are all connected via the planes of Wizards of the Coast.
    Incorrect. The Baldur's Gate story or Bhall Saga was created by Black Isle. All the characters in Baldur's Gate bar Ribald Barterman, Saemon Havarian, Ellesime, Volo, Elminster, Drizzt (possibly others but these are the more famous ones that actually make an appearance) and all the gods are creations of Black Isle. Many of these characters' and their presence is justified. Some (like Drizzt's) are not. Black Isle created the story, they were liscenced by Wizards of the Coast to use the AD&D engine and the Forgotten Realms as their setting. They could make up any story they wanted as long as it was within WotC 'logic' and had no major conflicts with the plot of the realms (e.g. creating countries).

He might have, but he was never there with Bruenor, Regis and Wulfgar.

Well there you go. So why do you find Drizzt anywhere near Athkatla? He was never there at this time and niether were his comrades.

[ December 22, 2003, 07:51: Message edited by: Abomination ]

11. Benan Gems: 20/31

When was Black Isle created compared to when Salvatore first wrote The Crystal Shard? Because he if it is older then Salvatore came up with Lloth, Meilikai and Tempus, not WofT and sold the rights to Forgetten Realms.

Wrong, in The Halflings Gem he and Wulfgar come to Calimport looking for Regis who had been kidnapped by Atremis. Cattie-brie and Bruenor arrive about halfway through the trek with assistance from Lady Alustriel.

In The Silent Blade Drizzt, Bruenor, Regis and Cattie-brie are travelling to Cadderly's place. Salvatore never really says where it is, but maybe it's farther south like around where ToB takes place. Or maybe it's around Athkatla. Sure Wulfgars not the time, but that doesn't matter.

And besides if your going to have Viconia being from Menzoberranzan, it just makes it more interesting to have Drizzt. I mean he's a rogue drow from a city that was just about destroyed because of him. A city which Viconia is from so why not have a little conflict there.

12. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    In-game Drizzt doesn't even begin to measure up to his prowess in the books, so in-game any PC or NPC can probably kill him given the right tactics.

Making Drizzt joinable would require much effort and massive revision similar to TDD.

13. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You can say the same for Solaufein who I admit has nothing to do with Drizzt but he's there through a mod when he plainly was not intended to be there. So as to if Drizzt could be included as an NPC and be justified then imo yes. But Sola had some kind of justification so I will also say that if there is no justification for Drizzt to be a NPC then, no.

But if Weimer thought of a way to include Sola as a party npc then it is probably possible for someone to alter Drizzt's story to include him in BGII, but Drizzt from what I hear is a much larger character then Sola was so this may be reason to exclude them from each other, I honestly don't know, but if it can be done it would be cool :cool:

14. Benan Gems: 20/31

I agree. In The Crystal Shard he takes out 10 Verbeegs with Wulfgar and Errtu by himself.

In the game he's a little weak.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Let's add another "Incorrect.". The Baldur's Gate saga was created by BioWare, not BIS.

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I had a level 3 paladin solo one in IWD2. Verbeegs aren't that tough. A level 16 ranger is incredibly potent in AD&D rules. Just remember that your PC is too. Any character in your party by the end of the game would mop the floor with those Verbeegs alone too.

Let's add another incorrect. The Infinity Engine is the engine that powers Baldur's Gate and it was created by Bioware. TSR gave permission to use the AD&D rules.

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31

In The Halflings Gem Regis wasn't with them. He had been captured so his appearance with the party is unjustified. The company was never anywhere near Athkatla. However this means nothing anyway since Wulfgar in SoA cleary states "I've been there, it was nothing special." after Bruenor threatens sending Regis to the abyss. Therefore his appearance in SoA was after Passage to Dawn. The closest they got was just south of Baldur's Gate and Wulfgar wasn't even with them then (In The Silent Blade).

The Spirit Soaring is 45 miles North-West of Carradoon which is at least 250 miles east from the Sea of Swords. Salvatore does not say this in any of the Drizzt books however Cadderly and the Spirit Soaring are characters from Salvatore's The Cleric Quintet where the location of The Spirit Soaring is definite. They arrived there via teleportation in Passage to Dawn from somewhere out at sea and were Wind-Walked back by Cadderly to Luscan. Wulfgar's presence does matter for he appears with Drizzt long with his other companions.

Sorry, I was wrong. However it still doesn't refute my point that the saga was not created by WotC.

Sorry again, I was wrong. However this gives WotC LESS involvement in the Baldur's Gate games.

---

Drizzt's presence isn't justified. There is no mention of him being there at this time, no reason for him to join. The MOD would conflict with other Forgotten Realms stories and therefore you might as well be making Elminster, Cadderly, Erevis Cale, Galaeron or Artemis Entreri joinable NPCs. They're all part of the Forgotten Realms world and powerful individuals with interesting personalities yet there is no justification for them being near Athkatla let alone joining the NPC.

18. Benan Gems: 20/31

So what your saying is that they shouldn't take the most popular Forgotten Realms characters from the books and put them in a Forgotten Realms game? To me that seems like advertising for the NHL without using Wayne Gretzky.

It would've made more sense to have Drizzt and Co. in the Icewind Dale games, but they put them in the Baldurs Gate games so it's fine with me.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31

They don't have them in Icewind Dale because both were at least 160 years before Drizzt left the underdark.

Forgotten Realms is a 'story' and thats what makes it good. You can't change the 'story' to make it more 'cool' because that destroys the magic of it.

20. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It makes the games better having the most famous forgotten realms characters making an appearance in the game in my opinion. When i met drizzt for the first time, i didn't think, oh my god they destroyed all of forgotten realms, i thought cool!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.