1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

*Stupid* question about soloing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sirdan, May 16, 2002.

1. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I know that this may sound as a silly question, but ... if you have a serious answer post it.

I have tried once solo with an F/M/T but there was a problem that i couldn't overcome. The slots of my inventory weren't enough to keep all the gems the weapons and the other things i found. Has anyone a trick for that? And btw if anyone has played a solo F/M/T what were his highest levels?

Please answer :help: :help: :help:

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

This is definately a problem when soloing. There are at least two gem bags. Also there are at least two scroll cases. Finally, there is a Bag of Holding. All of these items can make a huge difference.

3. ivanatora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You can get The bag of holding after chapter 4, but until then is a big problem about all items you can have. I stored them in my stronghold (d'Arnise Keep) so I could get them fast if I need them.

4. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Sell whenever and wherever you find a merchant.

Learn the prices of gems (don't fail to pick up a rogue stone because you have too many silver necklaces in your gem bag, for instance.)

If you like to use a bow, you're going to have serious problems. No such thing as a quiver, ****l **u ***y **B.

Potions are a problem, with the same remedy.

I can't really talk about it in here, but there are other options, provided you have that certain unmentionable expansion pack installed. At that stage you can save yourself a lot of grief, even before you actually play the expansion itself. If you post this in the ToB forum, I'll (or someone will) tell you how.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You my friend, are facing the biggest challenge of any solochar. Bodhi? Firkraag? They can suck it, because none is tougher to battle than a full inventory. Until you get the bag of holding, buy several scroll cases, so that they don't cost you any extra space. Same goes for Gembags. Don't pick up anything you're sure you'll never need, and like the others suggested, drop off any items you don't regularly need, but still want to keep, in your stronghold.

6. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

You don't even need to drop them off in your stronghold. There are some cabnets in the Adventurers Mart that will work great! IF you have a gem bag, potion bag, and a scroll case you shopuld be fine. Just rememebr to sell EVERYTHING you don't NEED as soon as possible.

7. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] What do you mean I don't need? :confused:
    I want them all!! :wail: :wail:
    I want to have them in my Guild and remind me the good old days while I am sitting with Viconia :love: on the couch by the fireplace.

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Llandon, the second bag you mentioned isn't available in SoA.

The highest levels of a F/M/T? Depends on wether you're using a xcapremover... If you do, you can get pretty damn high.

Stuff you don't need:
    -Lots of keys of finished quests
    -Scrolls of finished quests, or with notes
    -2 excessive demonhearts for the Planar Sphere
    -Basically any Armors that are not robes or elvenchainmail (you do want to be able to cast Mage spells no?)
    -Etcetera.

9. Xuncle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] There is a "patch" - available on this site if I'm not mistaken - that creates a bottomless bag of holding.

10. Sirdan

Buy as many gem,scrolland holding bags as you can and sell whenever and wherever you are.

11. That patch that Xuncle talks of is not a patch, it is a tweak, because the bag of holding is not supposed to be bottomless.
    It only works if you do not ahve a bag of holding already in a saved game, and it also makes all other bags/cases bottomless as well.

12. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Say you take one other NPC and use them only to carry excess items. Set their AI script to "Run Away!" just to make it pure.

Can this still be classed as soloing? I mean, the NPC is really only a mule when it comes down to it.
    :hmm:

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] No that is not soloing, because perhaps the most lethal thing when soloing are all the ways your character can be disabled. Charm, Hold Person etc, all end the game when you solo, but if you have another character standing in a corner somewhere this won't happen.

Tip for compulsory collectors (all "normal players" should just sell or dump the surplus stuff) would be to use a container like a table or a chest in a place which you visit often. For example I use a table in the Copper Coronet next to the barkeep. Depending on how much you want to keep you may have to do many trips just hauling loot.

Once you can get the Bag of Holding your problems will be limited to hauling stacks of gems and magic missiles because those items are so plentiful they can really fill up your Bag of Holding fast.

A last tip, perhaps the most important one, is to get a strength enhancer if you are weak so you can carry heavy loads. A Girdle of Giant Strength is readily available very early.

14. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Another important item to get is a missile weapon that doesn't need ammunition - twenty arrows count as twenty items in a bag of holding. You'll soon fill up those three ammunition slots at the top of your character sheet.
    There are some good axes, hammers and daggers that return to the thrower. I find Tasherons Bow is one of the best 'no ammo' items.

15. Naer Dhal Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] IMHO I think you SHOULD get rid of suplus stuff, like cheap gems (if you pick'em up), useless scrolls, and books..I tried to build a "Library", but soon found out even with all npc's in Chap. 1 couldnt carry them all, without giving up some good equipment, so I basicly only keep souvenirs and suplus weapons/armor in my keep, tho I on occation keep a few scrolls lying around there too

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.