1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turn undead

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Cancerman, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Cancerman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have never really used this ability. I know Viconia has a nice TU level, maybe I should try to use it once...

If 2 caracters use TU at the same time, does that double the effect etc???

A list of undead creatures would be nice.
    What about Wampires and mummys are they undead. I think they are, but I am not sure??

In thorms name, please reply

2. desperado Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Skeletons, Zombies, Shadow, Mummy (Lesser and greater), Ghoul, Ghast,Wraith,Ghost, Lost Soul,Vampire, Lich can be turned, instantly destroyed or controled (depending on your alignment and level) by your priest according to P&P rules. You should have try it before. But I'm not sure that using two priest will double the effect of turn undead. I've to verify...
    It's all depend on your level and the Hit dice of the creatures your are trying to turn. After reaching the 15th level you won't get anymore benefit from turn undead. You'll never be able to destroy a vampire or a lich but you still have a chance to turn them. I haven't try in BG2.

3. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Turning undead is not cumulative in their effects if two are turning at the sametime BUT both Clerics will get a chance to turn the undead in the area with their particular chances to do so.

A Vampire and Mummy are undead, but are on a much higher scale to turn than most of the lesser undead encountered.

I believe a 20th level cleric has a chance to turn a Lich, but that roll must be a 20 on a 1d20 die to do so, which shows you just how powerful that particular undead beast is.

Some undead are considered *special* when turning and cannot be turned. An undead dragon is a good example of this.

You cannot click on the Turn button and have your cleric do something else right after as it doesn't work that way. The cleric must stay still and concentrate on their holy symbol which channels the power of their diety through the symbol and towards the undead. Those that see it and fail their save, flee and can be forgotten. The higher level you go, the stronger this turn ability becomes to the point that some will utterly explode.

List of undead off the top of my head:

Skeletons
    Zombies
    Ghouls * Paralyze
    Ghast * Paralyze
    Shadows * Strength Drain
    Wights * Level Drain
    Wraiths * Level Drain
    Spectres * Level Drain
    Ghost * Level Drain, save vs death from fear or die
    Vampires * Level Drain, Charm
    Mummies * Mummy Rot Disease
    Lich * Spells as in life and other nasty things

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited December 06, 2000).]

4. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Does anyone actually use this ability? The few times I've tried it (in Icewind Dale), it didn't seem to work. I've never understood the appeal of having undead run away from you for a couple of minutes. Since it usually only works reliably against lesser undead, why not just bash them and get the XP? You'd be lucky to turn a vampire, let alone destroy one with a turn.

5. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The only time i used it was when there a lot of undead to kill. I used turn undead. Some start to run. It just give my fighter a break to concentrate on killing the mojor undead, and after that, i ran after the other to finished them.

6. Wassup Gems: 9/31

Do you get xp when you succesfully turn an undead?

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I used it quite a bit in all three games I played (BG1, BG2 and IWD). It works best with a pure cleric though so the Turn Undead level is as high as possible.

Having the Undead run from you doesn't mean you don't get the experience; they don't disappear, and they don't run away for good. Eventually they come back at you. In IWD, there was a dungeon with lots of Cold Wights, the Turn Undead ability provided breathing room by continually turning some of them, so I could face a few at a time.

In BG2, even though Aerie was multi-classed she was able to destroy quite a few Undead with her ability.

You just have to wait a little; it doesn't happen right away, and you have to make sure that the AI or your own actions don't turn it off.

You get experience for any Undead you destroy with the ability...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 06, 2000).]

8. Doomlord Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Turn Undead is undoubtly one of the best abilities a cleric has.If you have a pure cleric than you can have a better undead hunter than the paladin kit(with amulet of power of course).How effective it is you can ask; well I cleared the whole Bodhi's Lair in 10-15 minutes and no vampire could even touch me.Mummys, wraiths were piece of cake of course.But I hadn't tried it on a lich but as I know you can dispel him(make him run away from your cleric) if you can roll high enough.

9. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

about the only thing that benfits the clerics low low low thaco, is they can use that hammer, the Crom weapon... i dunno, i need to keep track of how to spell it. but i bet someone corrects me after this post, so it dont matter.

10. Sorl Guest

According to ad&d ver 3 attacking a turned creature stops the flight, so turing is usefull only for simplifying situations with lots of undead attacking.
    I believe that all the were-creatures also
    are affected.

11. Mobeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Although it may not be extremely powerful, Turn Undead can be impressive, especially when ambushed by a bunch of vampires, vampire mists, etc. If Viconia controls even 1 or 2 of them, that makes it a little easier to deal with the remainder of those level-drainers! And when she gains control you can use them against their former comrades! Poetic justice! :)
    :D

12. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

What? So the vampires just exploded by themselves then :)? You can destroy some of the vampires in the game if your turn undead level is high enough. Don't try it on Bodhi though :). I turned undead, some vamps exploded, some ran away. Those that ran away I took down with ranged weaponry (coward!) or a sword in the back.

13. fransdg Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i used ut alot, especialy when you fight with many undead. But i never give more attention on it's power, i meant how much tu power so it can explode any undead. If you have more then 1 npc that have this skill, i think it's better not to used it in one time, couse when you used the skill you are not allow to do any more activity, so it's better to used it in turn.

14. anybodey_9901 Gems: 3/31

Use it...
    It can be reliable at times when there is a lot of vamps or undead in the room.
    Viconia's turn undead will allow you (sometimes) to control them instead of running away from you.

15. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I have a priest of Talos and it's very useful. Instead of destroying undead , I take control of them. It's like the control undead spell. Your character have to be evil for this. It's pretty fun to take control over zombies and ghast and make them attack theirs masters, the vampires.

16. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

My priest of Talos is now at the 18th level. I just kick the ass of Bodhi yesterday and it was unfortunately too easy. I just use my priest to get control over most of the vampire and send them again each other and on Bodhi. Did anyone else find this fight too easy?

17. Wassup Gems: 9/31

I have Anomen in my party and he is level 18th. I just left from Bodhi's lair. I used Anomen TU ability all the way. What a massacre!!!! Most of all the vampires where destroyed on sight. So the fight with Bodhi was quite easy. While Anomen destroyed all her team, the rest of my party concentrate their attacks on Bodhi!

18. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

Evil priest are better... Can you imagine Bodhi being attack by her own minions... Nice shot !!! and what a massacre too...

19. toast Gems: 7/31

If you're not at so high a level, shooting a Sanctuary (or improved invisability)spell on Aerie then turning her undead and having her walk around the baddies can really lay a hurtin' on 'em.

20. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

You can turn while invisible? Did not know that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.