1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Opinions on strongholds (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by The Grim Ripper, Jan 25, 2002.

1. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] What is your favorite, Most enjoyable, Helpful or most useless stronghold? I have played 3 strongholds so far (Warrior, (castle) Mage (Planar sphere) and Druid (druid grove)). I have to say that the most useful is the planar sphere, Beacause of all the nice enchanted wizard goodies, Most fun the warrior, because of the varitiy of quests, and I dont think I know a useless one. The druid one is okay in my opinion, because you get some nice objects and some interesting quests. Post your opinions!

2. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I liked the Fighter the best since it actually seemed that you had to take control of the people underneath of you. I just wish that all the strongholds had quests as deep, and long

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I have only played the ranger stronghold. It is pretty easy, fun and semi-rewarding. I used the cabin for storage alot.

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well, I've done the thieve's guild(theif), order of the most radiant heart quests(paladin), planar sphere(mage), and the De'Arnise Hold(Fighter) so far...and I'm looking foward to doing the Ranger one with my Stalker, as many people have said it's good. From what I've done so far, it is probably the fighter or the mage...but I liked the last quest for Paladin's before killing Firkaag...

As far as rewards go, probably the Mage...but I preffered keeping them all alive for a better ending :).

5. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There is no life better than a thieves guild! It is probably the most interesting stronghold to play really. Having minions work for you, and reaping the rewards!!! I love giving out commands to underlings, muahahha.! Although you have to pay a cut to renal bloodscalp but it is no biggie. I also the thieves guild is probably the most realistic tooo.... i also like the mage stronghold. Its kind of cool owning a sphere that travels to other planes, too bad it does not function no more.!! If only one could use another demon heart to hurl myself into the lower planes, muahha watch out fiends here i come.!

6. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I did the ranger "stronghold", and thought it was pretty cool. Its cool that issues come up later in the game and you get the sense that there's a duty to the town. I was dual classed with cleric, but for whatever reason, I wasn't able to get the additional temple-crib after doing the quests. Anyone get the theatre? I thi9nk I'm doing the game again soon as a bard, probably a skald.

7. The bard's stronghold, a.k.a. the theater, is somewhat drab. You just make a few decisions, score some XP, then act some, then earn gold. Not much other than that.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've not done the Druid's or the Bard's.

But all the others are good. I'm not sure which one's the best, so I use SK to crank down the 'stronghold' variable, and get the fighter/mage/thief 3.

The thief one gets old after a couple of weeks, cause you *have* to return every week, unlike the fighter's where you can let the gold pile up for a couple of weeks. But you still get cash...

9. total Guest

Oh, can someone explan me what are benefits of druid or bard stronghold.

My favourite is fighter's and if it would be moveable - mage's

[This message has been edited by total (edited January 27, 2002).]

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I have done the strongholds for the druid, ranger, paladin, and fighter. I have seen what the thief stronghold is like from my brother's game. It is definately the least on my list of the ones I know about so far. I missed the fight with Roenall at the end of the fighter stronghold, so I only feel half impressed with it. I'd say Paladin is better than Ranger is better than Druid. But all three are good.

11. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Thieves guild! just the thing my fighter/assasin enjoys. btw, I'm evil, so the problems are easily solved (kill everybody who creates problems)

12. Dryad Princess Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I like the Bard's Stronghold, you get to choose who plays in your play and when one of then gets sick you get the leading role, and have to actually memorize the lines :p.

13. @Total:

Bard Stronghold: Gold, XP (sorry, that's all :()

Druid Stronghold: A magic Club (Acid Damage, +3 or so to unnatural creatures), and various treasures after the challenge for leadership of the grove at level 14.

BTW, what is the challenge one has to do for the leadership of the grove?

14. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Figther and Mage strongholds are most rewarding (haven't played w/ a bard, cleric or druid). Both give lots of decisions to make, though mage is best cause of the items they make for you and the dood who comes back and makes potions.

Ranger cabin was ok, never got the last mission though, i wanted my soul back. Paladin quests were well done, but the armor
    isn't that great and you're gonna kill that darn dragon anyway. Plus there is no wait between missions so you do all 3 then never return (or at least i never did).

The thief guild sucks, only 2 missions, then you just get pestered to pay Renal. They could have let you rebel against the shadow thieves and start your own theif war or given more problems w/ your various thieves to solve. I kept expecting/hoping for new issues to arise when I returned to pay and bail out my thieves.

15. Frodo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

definatley the thieves guild even if it does get rather annoying having to go back there every five minutes.

16. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

The challenge for gaining leadership of the Druid Grove is simply fighting a druid in the pit and winning.

But before that you get a lion figurine which summons a lion once a day.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited January 28, 2002).]

17. Shamroc Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well I personally like the Mage's Planar Sphere due to it's location too. It's great being in the slums and near the Copper Cornet; where several NPCs migrate after removing them from the party. Plus the morning commute can be rough coming from the Umar Hills or the fighter's keep. ;)

~Shamroc

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.