1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

best solo class

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by andrew61388, May 9, 2003.

1. andrew61388 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey all- I'm almost through the game for my 3rd time, and am ready to try solo classing. So i was wondering- whats the best class to go through solo with. I've always thought it would be the bard kit blade- almost a fighter, with mage spells and theif ablities- awesome, but wanted to see what other people thought

2. drahala Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I've never played the game through solo, but my vote would be for the Undead Hunter. The main story has an awful lot of undead in it, and the Undead Hunters immunity to Hold and Level Drain and +3 to hit, +3 to damange against undead really helps. He can wear any armor/shield combination and can wield the Holy Avenger, which just plain wreaks havoc against almost any enemy you will face. Even though he doesn't have lay on hands, as he advances in levels he get priest spells to help him out.
    I originally thought of a sorcerer or wizard for their sheer power at high levels, but they are too easily overpowered in combat, and clerics and druids just don't have that great of a weapon selection.

3. Tolwyn Gems: 1/31

One can solo with every class&kit in the game. But some classes are much more difficult than others. personal taste and playstyle have much influence on this.some people say bards rock...others say they suck...

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Kensai-9/Mage is absolutely brilliant.
    Sure it's the oldest character type in the book, but it's still immensely powerful for soloing SoA.
    You get a fighter with improved THAC0 (kit bonus) and a mage as good as any single class mage (eventually level 17). Also you gain mage levels very quickly by scribing spells into your spell book.

Multiclass F/M is quite good, although naturally not as good as the kensai/mage.
    Multiclass F/M/T is quite excellent in the earlier parts of the game and it lets you figure out a very large number of battle tactics. The drawback is that a F/M is a better fighter and a better mage than the F/M/T.

While I am not a fan of clerical spells there are a few variations which make excellent soloist:
    - Stalker-9/Cleric
    - Swashbuckler-10/Cleric
    Annoying to play after you dual and before you regain your swashbuckler skills since you're quite weak then.

Other comments
    @andrew
    Blade is a good soloist, but as you can see, it's far from the best choice.
    @drahala
    Inquisitor would be my choice over any other Paladin kit.
    @Tolwyn
    Of course you can solo with any character, the question was what is the best solo class.

5. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I hate resting so i am using thief kind solo character all the time. F/M/T or pure Assasin, or Kensai/Thief. Backstab is the easiest way to win.

6. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I wonder what a Kensai, with grandmastery in two handed swords, using the cursed berserking sword +3 would be like?

Can you use healing potions whilst berserk? Or do you lose control?

7. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think you lose control.

Solo sorcerer is an excellent choice if you like spell power. Once you get past the Twisted Rune things really are rather easy from there on in.

8. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

YAY 250 POSTS!!!!!! :spin: :rolling: :roll: :hippy:

Anyway, True Fighter is a fun challenge. When in doubt, bash the bejesus out of it!!!

9. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Another good choice is a Monk. He can heal himself with Lay on Hands (although for very little), doesn't need to worry about weapons or armor, gets an amazing amount of attacks for great damage, and runs faster than the average character (useful for running away from fights early in the game).

10. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

My favourite solo character is a pure kensai, using a normal, unenchanted katana (except when the enemy can't be hurt with one. In those cases I use the Celestial Fury). It's damn powerful, but not as much overpowered as the Kensai/mage.

I once did a pure bard solo too, and it was quite interesting. The bard is, as described in the manual, a real Jack of all trades.

11. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think any character with stealth and 1 hit kill abilities. Also known as thieves or monks. Thieves for the backstab and monks for the quivering palm.

If you don't like those options I would say a fighter/mage of sorts.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Don't take the Undead Slayer unless you really like it for other than draining immunity reasons. Not so late in game there's an amulet that a paladin can wear and that makes the character immune to draining.

I'm not soloing since I just can't dump Jaheira, abandon Immy or Nalia etc, but I would take plain fighter/wizard (well, kensai does lose much) or kensai fighter to have stoneskin, improved invisibility and other buffs as well as some area firepower. If you like thieves, kensai/thief isn't bad, stat-wise it's tight and later on he's going to get Use Any Item ability :D On the other hand, you might wish to hone useful abilities to some 100% or more and take fighter levels from there on. However, fighter/thief dual will get five points on katanas and three on dual-wielding while thief/fighter dual will not.

If you really don't mind copying Jaheira, dual (contrary to multi) fighter/druids with the already mentionned five points on weapons from fighter levels and everything that Jaheira has, but distributed according to your liking should make you completely unstoppable.

Fighter/Cleric dual is perhaps even more powerful, but has no spell that would absorb all damage like druid's ironskin or arcane stoneskin.

Ranger/Clerics have access to both cleric and druid's spells and can turn undead

Thief/Mage - like Imoen, but perhaps more thief levels. Potent, not overloaded with power, but certainly awesome and very handy.

However, I wouldn't start in caster class and switch to fighter, ranger or thief later in game. Some healing or a few buffs, right, but potions are better for your healing needs (drinking potions can't be interrupted by enemies) and the buffs will be extremely low-level. Being able to cast from scrolls is a better motivation.

13. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

All classes are easy to solo with but a few of them are so good that it becomes booring.

For the moment I have an Inquisitor, an Archer and a Shapeshifter ready to go with if I would wanth to play a little soloing.

I also have a monk in the Underdark and a Kensai in Marching Mountains but they are so powerful so it ain't fun.

My tip would be to go with the more unusual kits like the Totemic Druid or the Jester.

14. theholygit Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm currently going through as a Thief/Mage multiclass Elf.
    Damn good character, backstab and spells, can't go wrong there.
    At higher levels and profinciency in Katana and long sword you tend to turn things into gibs.
    Its a fun kit but slow to begin with, a lot of runing away and lurring is required.

15. Gholam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What about Berserker/Cleric wielding Flail of Ages and Crom Feyor(sp)?

16. Demogorog Gems: 4/31

If you're looking for power gaming that is the perfect one to do it with.

17. Thauglor Gems: 1/31

The one time i soloed i was a sorcerer. Its hard at first, but it gets easier as you level up. Eventualy you get so powerful nothing can stop you. You can even easily defeat dragons or liches. It's fun.

18. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Simply cannot beat an Inquisitor wielding Lilicor, that is, until he or she gets the Hold Avenger, then it is lights out.

19. Demogorog Gems: 4/31

Personally I think that the Inquisitor absolutly not is one of the best kits in form of power gaming.

And why not play as a thief and use the holy avanger when you gets your first high-level-ability?

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Well, a use any item thief, first of all, is a ToB thing (and therefor in the wrong forum). Furthermore he lacks attacks, THACO and hitpoints when compared to the inquisitor.

Personally I found the variants Earl Grey listed quite cool, however, I clearly preferred them in he mc version (thanks to SK). Mc kensai-thief, mc kensai-mage, mc swashbuckler-mage, mc swashbuckler-cleric are awesome chars to have.

PS: I forgot to mention the funniest of all chars (IMO) - the mc wildmage/ thief. I had a halfling cn wildmage/ thief and she played like charm - very funny and capable char.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.