1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Firkraag Worth The Effort?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by NAZAR, Jul 20, 2001.

1. NAZAR Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Has anybody ever killed Lord Firakarg The Dragon? I know he lets you go After you Complete the quest but is he worth Killing?
    How Much XP Do You Get.

Nazar 17th Level Undead Hunter

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's definitely worth it, although it is a tough battle. You get 64,000 XP :D, as well as the BEST sword (only usuable by paladins :(), red dragon scales which make some of the best armour in the game, as well as quite a bit of money/gems.

3. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Plus the huge satisfaction of killing a very powerfull enemy. There are only a few dragons in the game...
    What trophy will be cooler than a dragon head on the wall ... :D

4. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

If your character is 17th level I garuntee you will not have too much trouble with him, plus you are an undead hunter so killing him for Carsomyr is well worth it. Not to mention the extra XP you'll get from the Order for killing him.

5. NAZAR Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Ok i Think i Have a Save Game just Before i entered his Dungeon. If what you guys Say is true and i have no doubt it is not then I will defeat him. Just one more question Is he more or Less powerfull than Irenicuses Black Dragon that Posseses The Cup. Or maybe the Dragon In Hell.

Nazar 17th level unded hunter

6. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Shoot you get more experience for killing Firkraag than you do Kangaax, and you know how everyone goes on and on about Kangaax. So definately kill Firkraag, even if you must come back later in the game.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

his AI isn't that good, so I tihnk you'll have less problems with him than the black dragon

8. Neitsabes-Naej Gems: 3/31

He gives more XP than the black dragon...
    Tougher ? Hard too say...I would say different. But, as one said before: not really good A.I.
    But anyway at level 17 you should be allright...

Is it worth ?? You're a Paladin and He's an Evil incarnation !!! Play your noble role Pally !!!

*************Spoiler:****************
    ok ok, else than role playing well, you could kill to obtain the strongest sword of the game (+5 !!) wich is usable by paladins only !!!

9. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The black dragon is definitely tougher...it's the only one in the game that actually attacks you. Firkraag tells you, yeah, whatever, come back whenever you like, I'm a badass red dragon...in the meantime, Aerie's casting mislead or whatever, Keldorn is going over the Hallowed Redemmer with a whetstone, the party's taking up positions all around him, and he doesn't take the hint that you're about to beat the bejesus out of him with everything you've got. Besides, the black's got style...'give me everything you have, and I'll think about it.' He doesn't give you time to prepare, and he certainly isn't going to let some puny spellcaster get close enough to him to cast magic resistance, the favorite nancy-boy tactic of the lily-livered adventurer. Gotta go with the black.

10. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The thing I really liked about the black dragon is that he has some nice opening offense for everyone in the party. He casts entangle on the fighters and kicks their ass while an insect plague disables the spellcasters and deals more damage to the fighters. The first time I fought him, I just rushed him to see what he'd be like, and he whiped out my party within a minute or two real time. Firkrag, I thought, was the weaker dragon in the game, though I never fought the dragon in hell nor the silver dragon, so I can't really compare him to those two.

11. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I had an equal amount of trouble with the Shadow dragon, Firkraag, and the black dragon. However, I fought those dragons at completely different levels(Shadow dragon rather early, Firkraag after the Underdark, then the black obviously last), which would lead me to believe that each dragon was successively tougher.

12. Athalon Gems: 5/31

Firkraag is definetely worth the slaying. But like I said, he's not even close to hard. As he is VERY gullible. I had more trouble with Bodhi Lair Redux then killing that one Firkraag. Firkraag, NO EFFORT, definetely worth the slaying. Im not sure but it was like 40000-70000 XP i think. I remember Shadow Dragon was like 45000 xp. And like everyone else said Holy Avenger, Carsomyr +5 is very good, although it can only be used by paladins no use restarting game to use it (well if your not a generic wuss and chose a paladin), just get Keldorn.

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Of course dragon fights are worth the effort ....

I developed the habit to deal with the shadow dragon first ... recently on more and more lower levels. Then Thaxx'lssilyia's breath weapon is a real pain in the a** for it takes 4 levels each hit (terrible for paladins and rangers who level up so slow - two or three hits and they are beyond resurrection). Since protection from negative plane wears off so quick it wasn't as helpful as vs. vamires. Some potions helped me to temporarily improve my saving throws in general (and vs. breath weapon in particular) ;)

Dealing with Firekraag is different: His breath weapon burnt Minsc, Mazzy and Aerie to ashes when I dealt with him first. I found a solution in using the fire protecting helms, armor and shields and magic. I made my mages and clerics memorize the apropiate spells in a rest before the fight. So I had fire protection potions ready for the fight, just like the lvl-2 ranger/ cleric-spell that reduces damage from fire and the protection from fire mage spell and scrolls.
    Considering the wide variety of protection vs. Firekraags strongest weapon I consider Thaxx'llssilyia to be the tougher opponent.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 22, 2001).]

14. garathorn Gems: 5/31

the sword yesss but dont forget you can also forge his scales into full plate +2 with 50% fire resistance not to mention you can also ware rings of protecton whilst this armour is on plus you get more exp if you kill him and talk to that guy whos daughter he kidnaped

15. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ragusa, wierd thing about Firekragg - I gave my whole party fire protection too, but he used a spell called "reduce fire resistance" that affected the whole party! Then he irrepairably destroyed Viconia and Valgyar.

16. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

Sorry Garathorn
    but you cant wear the red dragon scales and rings of protection with the last patch (or is it with ToB installed)

My first time with our dear ole red reptile my bunch was around 10:th level.
    after around 20 tries and being totaly slaughtered every time I figured I needed some serious beefing in a gym (read: do other quests first)

But, if you are playin a pally you just got to get him.
    (dont you have to get him for the stronghold quest?)

bongo

17. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

At least Firkraag fights fair. I can stand being pummeled, burned and bashed by his wings...but I HATE level drainers.
    Actually he isn't nearly as difficult as the shadow dragon.
    Summon a horde of monsters. Place your fighters close to him. For some reason it's impossible to even hit him (even when you crit) so don't bother attacking him.
    Have your wizards prepare their spells.
    My fighters were protected from cold wich made them invulnerable to the cone of cold I hit Firkraag with.
    Meanwhile my other mage cast lower resistance and the rest of the party just stayed back until then.
    My fighters were quickly pummeled by his wing buffet. But that didn't matter, as my horde of monsters now attacked him.
    With his resistance reduced I began to hit him with a barrage of magic.
    Scratch one dragon.

18. Athalon Gems: 5/31

This Dragon is a joke. Like I said earlier I used my Sorc. Put on Improved Alucarity, Robe of Vecna, the Amulet of Power, and then TIME STOP. I used 8 cone of colds on him and when the time stop wore out. Kabooom!!! I right clicked on him and it said DEAD. I was like what? I never saw that... I expected Badly Injured or Near Death but Dead. Didn't know what was going on until 10 seconds later Firkraag exploded into tiny pieces. I had frozen him, lol!

19. Serora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Woah! Nice work! What level Sorcerer?

20. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Improved alacrity and Time Stop. What did you do, import your character from ToB?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.