1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't Kill Irenicus!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elverath, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Elverath Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

This guys too damn powerful. His time stop is kickin' my arse. anybody have any tips on how to kill him?

2. Angel of Def Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

spoiler
    -
    -
    -
    -
    --
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

I assume you mean the fight in suldenesallar.
    Summon creatures (monsters, animals etc.) should help a great deal. His time stop really is a PITA. you could try to interrupt him or cast all manner of defensive spells on yourself before you attack.
    last tip: the character thatcan take a lot of damage & has a low saving throw (or magic resistace) should be put in front of Irenicus. The rest is up to you.
    Good luck!

3. Sparhawk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Cast pre-battle spells like bless and aid on your team and summon mage killers like Nishruu and skeleton warriors. I usually let my fighters steam in while the summons are cannon fodder and the mages throw in a breach or pierce magic every now and again, hope that helps.

4. Hayashi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Spoiler
    I just finished SoA last night. I assume you are at the Tree of Life (as I don't recall him casting Time Stop at the Asylum).

Here's what I did. As soon as the dialogue with Ellisme ends, pause the game. Retreat your party away from Irenicus, along the branches where they appear after killing the last parasite. Make sure they are out of sight.

Then just wait. Go make yourself a sandwich or something, but do not pause the game. When you return, his spell protections would have expired. Then summon some creatures (I summoned a nishruu and a deva) and send them in to the platform where Irenicus is standing. Do not follow your summons - the intent here is for him to waste some of his spells. They'll probably die, so repeat.

The second time around, follow up with your party members. Make sure you have spells like Khelben's Warding Whip, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Remove Magic, etc ready & cast them at Irenicus to remove his spell protections. True Sight helps too as he likes to cast Mislead. Use your melee fighters to whack him while your mages concentrate on negating his defensive magic.

The fight, though still difficult, will be easier. I killed him with no deaths amongst my party members, though Keldorn and Aerie were *seriously* hurt.

5. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

After lowering his defenses (pierce magic, breach, etc) casting your own time stop and unleashing a barrage of offensive spells should turn the fight in your favour. It did for me. Definitely send in some fodder, though, as he tends to use some powerful spells to dispatch them which means fewer left to use on you.

6. Elverath Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thanks guys, ill kill him tomorrow.

7. garathorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

its as simple as pulling your mages and archers out and using protection from magic scrolls on two strong fighters and watch them wipe him out

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Indeed. And don't forget, you don't need spells that make the combat easier after this fight, so use all haste, protections, Draw upon holy mights and resistance-spells before the fight! Good luck!

9. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Pierce shield and breach, Then let your melees take the guy out. Its not a very hard fight as long as your main is protected from death spells and charm

10. garathorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

no point using protection spells and haste cause as soon as you use protection from magic all those spells get removed

11. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I think he meant the mage spell Protection from Magical Energy, not the Protection from Magic scrolls.

12. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've found both Nishruus and Hakeashars to be really useful when fighting mages or liches. It *IS* a good idea to send several in before you attack. Then you can go in and cast Breach on him; take down his spell protections (use Wharding Whip or Ruby Ray, or a Spellstrike scroll), and any mage (even a powerful one like Irenicus) is easy prey for your tanks. After you've taken down the spell protections, you might want to cast damaging spells like Abi-Dalzim's.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.