1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A little question about strength

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by The_Raven, Apr 26, 2001.

1. The_Raven Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm kindof new to the game and there is something I don't understand. I can see that Korgan has 18/83 or something like that in str. I understand what 18 stands for but what does 83 stand for. Also I have an item that gives me 18/00 in str. I guess that's the same thing...
    (Sorry, I didn't find this in the manual)
    Thanks for any replies!

2. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The /83 or whatever is for fighter types only and instills additional "to hit" and damage values dependant upon the number.

18/01 - 18/50 = +1 to hit & +3 damage.
    18/51 - 75 = +2 & +3.
    18/76 - 90 = +2 & +4.
    18/91 - 99 = +2 & +5.
    18/00 = +3 to hit & +6 to damage.

These secondary figures also slightly affect the weight your character can carry and their bashing (bashing doors down) percentage chances.

PS. These figures can be found in the strength ability score table near the end of the manual. Hope this helps. :)

[This message has been edited by Big Bad Bert (edited April 26, 2001).]

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Only for fighters.... exceptional strength

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Actually exceptional strength is for fighters only. However, when you play a half-orc thief you can have 19 strength :D

5. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31

Err, didn't I mention that the extra figure is for fighters only?......oh yeah...I did.

You can also achieve a 19 str with a human if he's been through BG1.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    That´s not my point: The half orc race is the only race (BG-1 veterans excluded - the tomes are a diferrent thing) to offer the advantage of a very high strength also for thiefs as a simple race characteristic (just like hight dex on elves and halflings). This results in a potent backstabber.

Usually thiefs have to be happy with 18/0 or less.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 27, 2001).]

7. The_Raven Gems: 1/31

Yep, that cleared a lot! Thanks for answering!

8. bledking Gems: 1/31

Is 19 better than 18/00 ? Because +3 to hit and +6 to damage is alot! What are the bonuses at 19 ?

9. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31

Hi,

+3 to hit (same as 18/00)
    +7 damage. (1 up on 18/00)
    500 pounds carrying capacity. (100 pounds up on 18/00)
    50% bashing. ( +5% on 18/00)

10. Bruce the Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The more strength you have, the better the fighter.

it is very obvious.

11. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] on a related topic why does an awesome charector like a monk look so gay?

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

What?!?! Are you refering to the paper doll cutout on the inventory screen? Monks don't look anymore gay than the others, if you even want to say they look gay at all. As for portraits, it took me a while to find a good picture for my monk, but I did get a custom one, if you've ever played Magic the Gathering CCG its from the "Venerable Monk" card. Also, my monk had 17 strength and did just fine, fighters don't always have to have an 18 strength.

13. Marek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i thought you were referring to imoen, he looks and talks very merrily...

but hey, some of my best companions are gay.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.