1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Having some trouble. How much do I suck?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ardanis, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Ardanis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Some spoilers ahead, I'm sure.

I die *a lot* in this game, even with a whole group, I would never ever dare solo this game.

Even on the easiest difficulty I cannot do any of the following:

In the other plane you visit after saving Haer-Daelis, the guy with the black armor and all of his cronies just to the north of the entrance.

The group of people who want all my gold just to the east of the secret entrance in the sewers (the one that goes to where you get Haer-Daelis)

And lastly, in the slum sphere quest, I can not beat any of the big demon-like monsters to get the hearts.

Is there some kind of tip anyone can give me to stop being so horrible? I do the pause-and-assign-things way. My party seems fairly well balanced, using my PC (Fighter/Mage), Minsc, Jaheira, Anomen, Yoshimo (bowing), Keto (bowing).

What do you say?

2. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What weapons/items do you have? Have you tried distracting the hard enemies with summons, use Yoshimo's backstabbing and traps?

3. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, I'll try.

First, the word is control. When your party members are held, stunned, panicked or confused there 's no way you can win. Cast Remove fear, Chaotic commands and maybe Free Action before battle.

Second, use Breach and True Sight (cast True sight before the battle) if there are thieves and mages (and there will be...)

IN the planar prison, go to the right, not to the north. Then kill everybody you meet, move slowly and do not step on pink circles, they will suck you in. This way you can win.

IN the sewers, try to draw out one of them at a time. It will be easier for your party.

IN the sphere, use protection from fire and spells I've written about.

Lastly, if your experience is less than 400.000 per person, don't do these quests. Do the Slavers quests in the Slums, the Circus in the Promenade, the Nalia's Keep (and rest often), the Trademeet quest (guy at the Gate district will tell you where it is).

4. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

If you are really desperate to kill the ones in the sewers, you can try to lure them out one at a time. Watch out for the wizard, though. Have all your party bar one stand at the entrance to the sewer. Save your game, and edge forward carefully with one character (switching AI off can help). When you draw the attention of one of them, walk back to the party, and they will follow. Then hit them with everything you have, and repeat.

5. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Those guys in the sewer, you can have Yoshimo drink a potion of speed, backstab and run out of their sight - hide - backstab again :)

Yoshimo can hide pretty good, use a potion of perception if needed (and you got the boot of Mar Vea to boost), and take off his armor :)

The Demon can stun and hold you, cast chaotic command and free action, you'll be fine, damage is not a problem if you play easy mod :D

Edit : if Yoshi has trouble hitting them, buy him a potion of Storm giant strengh, there's a fence selling these in the sewer :shake:

6. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In the sewers approuch them from the south and then area effect spells like grease, stinking cloud, ice storm, clouldkill, and fireball, will do all the work for you.

:thumb:

The Planar Sphere is very hard for a first timer.
    I would recomend that you wait until you return from the underdark. You'll have some nice new weapons like the silver sword which will kill the demons as easy as pie. And you'll have a much higher level party as well!

;)

For the Haer-Daelis quest I save that for after the underdark too, but if you are a bard or just want to get Haery in your party then you must do it earlier I guess. I have no hints for a lower level party in there.

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

F/M, Minsc, Jaheira & Anomen in one party. And you get kicked :eek: I think you may be trying to take them on at very low levels. Wait till the single classes are at L11 atleast. Keto is the bard right. Have Yoshimo concentrate on shooting arrows.

For the planar prison. There are three main fights here: on arrival, far right of map, final fight. Have Jaheira remember as many fire elementals and insect swarms as possible for these. Anomen can bring in skeletons. Before the last fight have Keto stay back singing where you burn the collar control. The rest can rush in. Remember not to step on those pink circles.

The sewer party. Have two member groups approach them from the three directions with summons. Again Insect plague works wonders. Not only does it stop spell casting but can also induce fear. Eliminate them in order of mage, priest, dwarves, then any survivors.

To get the Demon heart. Remember you only need one. The one almost north of the sphere is all alone. Protection from fear and evil are necessary.

8. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Divide and Conquer when fighting groups. Arcane spells like Stinking Cloud, Web, Horror, or Emotion: Fear can disable some of the baddies while your archers do some nice work from a safe distance. The clerical spell Greater Command can do wonders with the guys in the sewers.

Make Yoshimo throw a special trap or two. Some of the bad guys could end up Held, or trapped in Otiluke's Resilient Spheres, depending on the level, allowing you to concentrate in a small number of foes.

Against demons, your best bet is to have the clerics cast the area version of Protection Against Evil. This will make your whole party invisible to demons. Protection Against Fear and Chaotic Commands will also come in handy. Send in the tanks and support them with arrows and bolts. Use your mages to help the tanks with spells like Haste.

9. -s_c- Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sewer battle is easy with properly placed simultaneous greater malision + web to start off, topped off if you like with the wand of cloudkill (to disrupt their casters). Then pick 'em off with ranged weapons and/or a free-actioned char. Have someone attack from the south corridor too, to pick off strays -- this means you have to clear out the central kobold infestation first.

Besides paralyzation, the other annoying demon thing is ranged Vampiric Touch. Put up a minor globe on your PC and Keto to block that.

10. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Read the spell descriptions closely, sometimes you have a perfect spell for a situation and just don't know it. Web and greater mallison is great, combined with missile weapons and area affecting spells, or you could use stinking cloud. Skeletons are immune to the effect of stinking cloud so you could send them in as well. Against demons you should spread your forces out, and use potions of speed and heroism or invulnerability, to close fast and hit it even faster (with magical weapons ofcourse). Potions are your friend in these kind of hard fights. And there is no shame in trying a couple of times and giving up, only to return at a later time a totally kick their a$$es!

11. Newfie Banned

In the sewers, make sure you kill those pesky goblins to the west or else they will whack any confused or panicked party member. The whole key is summoning monsters. Attack all of the evil party with your party buffs on (haste, prayer, bless, remove fear etc.) and then back away before the wizard casts his death spells. Summon monsters in as he wastes his power spells on them and use your breach, dispel magic, etc. to whittle him down. He is easy after a while.

In the Haer Daelis planar quest, kill everything far east as you can go (do not step on the eye thingy's!) and go north. Attack the warden there and kill him, and grab the globe and put it in the fire to the south. This weakens the black armour guy and causes the slaves to revolt and attack, weakening him. Summon monsters in to weaken his spells and then cast your dispel magic, breach, pierce and whack him with your fighters. He will fall eventually if your wizards keep casting their piercing spells on his protections.

The planar sphere should be one of the last quests you do. The Golem attack ranks up there with the hardest fights in the game. The demons should be left after you get Carsomyr and a higher level or else this is just trouble.

12. -s_c- Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

By the way, at low-mid levels the best missile weapon is Melf's Minute Meteors. Have Keto (and, when appropriate, your F/M) prep 'em -before- a serious battle, or even before sleeping.

13. Ardanis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Your hints have helped a lot. I was able to take out the planar whatever thing where I get haer-daelis a little easier once I attacked from the right instead of the bottom. I cleared out the two annoying passages that suck you in first, then I used the harp you find earlier in there to confuse from a distance and a couple of them killed each other. Then I sent Yoshi to lure them all to my party, once I cleared out all the Umber Hulks that way I was able to get the Warden.

I haven't given the other two 'go's yet, I'm in Spellhold making my way out of the labyrinth-- I'll hit the other quests later on.

Thanks for the tips, I have the tendency to just load up on skills that do damage.

Also, I don't always play easy mode, but I was getting desperate with the se situations, not able to beat them and such. I generally play whatever the default is. This game is hard-- almost as hard as 'The 7th Saga'.

PS: Anomen was ditched in exchange for Viconia because Anomen was being an ******* toward Keto, but now Viconia and Keto are being mean to each other, but I guess it's better to be mutual than one sided meanness, ha.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.