1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why no monster summoning?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Maram, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Maram Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi this is maram, it has been a long time but there is someting i like to know, in fact I don't know how to go further...when I try to monster summon I'll get always: you can only summon 5 monsters any given time or day or something...and I haven't summoned one. I have slept days and days and cannot summon even one monster????? Has any one an answer oon that? Please help me

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Even at the risk to state the obvious and not to be really helpful: Sounds buggy.

3. Maram Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] oh my and how can I solve that??

4. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well normally you can't have more than five summoned creatures under your control (In BG you could summon 8 dogs at a time ???) so that explains the five beasts thingy. The other part I think sounds like a bug. Have you tried to go to another part? (Like to the slums instead of staying at the docks?). If you come back, the screen will say: monster unsummoned. Maybe that's it?

5. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

nope the limit was meant to be, was programmed in, for that exact reason, in bg1 people were summoning gobs of monsters... 5-6 spells of em, (this was after like 2-3 times though and no cap) anyway they decided to limit the monsters u can summon, read the descriptions i believe its in those, saying something like even the most powerful mind can only control 5 monsters at a time. or something along those lines

6. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  7. Maram Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Yeas Iron Eagle I know I can't more than 5 at the same time, but does that mean when the 5 are unsummoned after some nights sleep you can't summon any more after some time?

8. Maram Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Da Punnisher, I've even tried to go to other arias, and went back. I've visited all arias I had been, all (5) monsters were unsummonded and still I cannot summon any at all ????

9. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I think you need the bug fix, that normally does not happen.

Go to the page that Duskai posted it should help.

Have you overwritten the save game from before you first summoned the monsters? Maybe if you try going back before the summon and then not summon the monsters at that time you will fix the problem.

Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited March 31, 2001).]

10. Maram Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] thank you all, I'l get the bug fix and probably start all over again if I cannot fix it, fortunately I'm still in chapter 3, so it isn't a very hard journey

if anybody has a better idea please let me know

11. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I found sometimes when you summoned a fire elemental or Skeletons they did'nt disappear from a screen or were unsummoned they stayed until dispelled or destroyed.

That may be the cause of your problem. I don't know. Skeletons are easy to get rid , just turn on Anomen or Aeries Turn Undead.

But you will probably have to find them first.

You said you went back to all the areas , before , So I may be wrong.

12. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

this sounds painfull
    go and search!

how long would it take u think?

13. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

wait wait wait. Could it be that u summoned some creatures in a, o i dunno, building and then left before they were unsummoned???
    Cause i know i did that in the harpers hold thing and left my 2 mountain bears there(cause they don't leave with u)and then came back and then i got the message only after returning(thinking that i forgot something).
    it may not be a bug is what i am trying to say.

14. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

That's it all right..

go visit the place where you summoned 'em, and they should instantly vanish, leaving you able to summon more.

15. Maram Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Maybe you're right, perhaps I haven't examened all the placec well enough. I'll go back and try to find the creatures I have summoned and stayed behind...ah well it keeps me from the streets as we Dutch would say. It may take a while but I will let you know what the result will be.

thanks for all the help you gave me..

16. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] wow, i guess i can be of some help huh?

17. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I don't think going back to all the areas where you left unsummoned monsters will help.

I've left unsummoned monsters behind all over the place - if I return there much later they go <pooof!> - and not had this problem.

Sounds like a bug.

18. Maram Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] here am I again, I have decided not to start all over, I'm in chapter 5 right now! I presume I will get back in future. Now there is another problem, Jarheira was killed and cannot resurected by spells or staff. I don't know why....However she is still in my party and I'll leave her there till I get to a temple to try to resurect her..in the meanwhile I play with 5 members. By the way how can I fight the mindflayers?

*EDIT*
    Please let me know how you can help me Jack???
    And what if it is a bug??

[Maram - See that pencil and paper icon at the top of your post? You can edit your post with it instead of generating a new one. BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 22, 2001).]

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Maram: don't post one message right after another, the mods will get pissed :) If it's a bug, unless you can fix it yourself, you'll have to see if there's an available patch.
    [and you fight mind flayers by casting chaotic commands on your best fighter(s), preferrably with high int. trust me on this one ;) A Kensai with 2 int. can only kill so many before his brain is devoured ;) ]

[This message has been edited by R'syil (edited April 22, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.