1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help - need names!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by assassinX, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. assassinX Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi - I'm currently creating some more custom characters to add to my Company of the Twin Blades Pack, but I'm running out of ideas for names to use in item descriptions and character backgrounds - I'm also not to up on the AD&D universe, so I need the name of some good gods for my paladin to fight in the name of, and some town or place names to include (my party originates from Balders Gate)
    Can anyone come up with some good dragon names as well. Any help is much appreciated.

[ December 13, 2002, 18:55: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

There's a list of the gods in the Forgotten Realms section of SP. Can't help about the names though, I'm having difficulties inventing names myself.

3. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Names are easy ;)

Gods for the Paladins to fight under? What do they fight to do? If they want a god to fight under they must have some sort of idea what they are fighting to do.

Put some more details about who/what you want to name/describe - we might be able to help then ;)

5. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

How about Dave the Dragon? Has a ring to it!

It might sound kinda farcical, but in the past when I used to write adventure type stories, I always used comical everyday sounding names like Nigel the barbarian, Derek the Dwarf, Eric the Elf and Kevin the Conjurer... common, slightly outdated normal names work for me :)

6. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  7. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Heheh, if anyone can help you, it's 8People! Our resident...er... whatever she is. :)
    Names i've got (past characters):

Jakhan - Elf. Thief, Ranger, Bard, Fighter.
    Elayth - Elf. Thief. Based on the assassin Elaith. Obviously.
    Merloin - Halfling, Bard, Mage, Sorcerer. (guess who this is based on?) :p
    Na'Xthasia - Female Elf, Mage, Sorcerer.
    Jaegar - Human. Fighter, Paladin, Ranger.

that's all i can think of that i've done in the past. Not the best of names, but they're alright.
    :)

8. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] here is a way to get some gods :)
    go to the library (or search the internet :D )
    look up greek norse and egyptian gods and just rearange the names but keep the same powers :)
    for example
    Thor Norse God of Battle and thunder (usually depicted as Lawfull good so a good palidin diety)
    just rename him to something like Ator and presto instant Palidin God :)

Or Athena Greek Goddess of the Hunt a Great Ranger Goddess could be renamed to something like
    Aneth
    or you could just be lazy and keep the original names :)
    and in fact this is just what Gary Gygax did when he first created D&D/AD&D when he first did the book Dieties and Demigods (later renamed to Legends and Lore) you could even get this book and use it :D
    wasn't really untill 2nd addition that they started creating their own dieties for Ad&d like Helm and Lathander etc..

9. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So far in my 3 completed games I've had

Devilfish - Half-Elf Male Cleric of Helm - named after a UK poker player

Erica - Human Female Kensai duelled to Mage - named after... a girl I know called Erica

Edmund Blackadder - Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief - named after Rowan Atkinsons character(s) from the Blackadder Sagas...!

Next up will be a Cavalier Paladin but not sure of name yet - probably will wait til i finish 'The Thing' (an altogether different style RPG - a bit like a very scary Deus Ex! I recommend it!) depends what voice/pictures I can find that are suitable!

10. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

How about mine? :grin: I also like real names with a certain tone, like Tobias..

11. Akujin Gems: 1/31

erm, over the years I've been playing CRPG's I've developed a set of character names which I now normally draw names from:

Huron - male
    Faust - m
    Uther (Pendragon :p ) - m
    Kendral - f
    Pelandria - f
    Jade - f
    Maelstrum - m

12. Karunirin Rochambeau Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Biff the Mighty. You heard me.

Jacioniel (E), Tallandrius(E, HE), Eldan Karn (H), Kalindra (E), Alaron Khelgost (H), Boddynock Underhill (...) (G), Durmayle (extra credit to anyone who knows where that came from) (D), Haz (a minotaur), just to name a few.

13. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Names from other games can also be useful. Example: Heroes of M & M series(names like Shakti, Darkstorn, Pyre...)

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I had planned to use these in a story, but if any names could be used or rearranged or anything, feel free.

Elair (Elf Sorceress)
    Akris (Elf Ranger)
    Nati (Halfling)
    Priol (Turtren Monk
    Nathe (Sidhe Paladin)
    Fo'dren (Drow perhaps)
    Drixoley'a (Crimson Shadow Dragon)
    Nystorir (Blue Opal Dragon)
    Castker (Gyllian Acrobat)

Oh well, gotta get back to writing - the story is called 'Gauthanders' Keep' Set in Chirofen - starring Dracons!

15. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Read Malory's Morte d'Arthur - it's got vast numbers of names for all the knights of the Round Table and many other people as well. A great resource for fantasy names. And it's a good read as well, if a little simplistic at times.

16. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You know, if you hang out a little longer in SP, you'll actually find a lot of SP members have names that are quite good and fitting for any RPG games. You might want to mix and match some of them. You can find names good enough to represent any races and different regions for human. There are even names that would fit npc monsters such as orcs, goblins, dragons, wraiths, and others.

example (I hope you guys don't mind):
    Komei Akujin - is a good name for an Asian figther or assassin.
    Uytuun - to me, it sounds like a good name for a creature like an Ent (LOTR) or dendroid (Heroes of Might & Magic).
    Syrel - a nice name for a multi-class fighter/mage. or a sorcerer.
    Tarol'azh - suits a dragon well.

...just to mention a few. There all still a lot more. Most of their names are probably even taken from some fantasy works. And besides, I think it would be an honor for these people to be included in your project. Well... as long as what you're doing doesn't sucks. :D

...and yeah, I think it would be nice if you have their permission too. :)

[ December 11, 2002, 11:03: Message edited by: nior ]

17. assassinX Gems: 1/31

Hey - thanks for the suggestions people - sorry I haven't replied sooner - found the evil that is Halo - I will be getting back into my character making soon, and I will credit any names that I get from here

18. Nocturno Gems: 1/31

Search the internet for Black Metal bands, and take a look at the band members' pseudonyms (sp?). You'll find plenty of useful names (all with an evil streak to them of course) I reckon:

Zephyrous, Kraath, Alastor Mysteriis, Gaahnfaust, Silenoz, Euronymous, Samoth, etc, etc...

19. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    an Ent, eh? well could've been worse I guess. :)
    anyway, you've got my permission, assassinX (I would prefer it if you'd give the name to a female though). :roll:

20. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To answer the question about D&D gods that a Paladin can worship, these are frequent ...

Helm - God of duty and guardianship. Helm is himself a neutral deity though he often has a certain appeal to good characters out to protect the innocent.
    Lathander - God of the morning, growth, and renewal. Perhaps more appropriate for a cleric than a Paladin.
    Tyr - One of the chief good-aligned gods in the human pantheon. God of Justice and law.
    Torm - I forget what precisely what his portfolio is, though he is most frequently the patron deity of Paladins. Keldorn in fact worships him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.