1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Conan Portraits

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by omnigodly, Mar 14, 2004.

1. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

The way I see it is with 1 more stat point every 4 levels, Conan being a human raised differently, and set upon totally different, (D&D does not do a good job of making up for having different histories, that's why the DM is there, to provide changes like these), he was basically a body builder, 'cept instead of lifting weights he was turning a wheel meant for 8 people or like 3 donkey's to turn, by himself. He did this for I think 8 years, (from the time he was a child 'til he was a mature adult). This is where he gained all his strength, not training. I believe he had a bit of training in his village, and the rest was just based off of natural talent. So basically, by the time he became a real adventuring barbarian, he had a natural strength well over 20, let's say 24-26. Being a barbarian he had rage, but because of his history it's basically always the enhanced rage from the higher level barbarian, which the feat extended rage, (no matter what, so long as the adrenaline was pumpin' Conan was basically always raged), so he would have an almost permanent +6 str and con. so he'd be at about 30-32 strength, maybe 28-30 con. Looking at it this way, even in 2ed, he'd basically have a str of 29-31 :) No enhancements! :cool:

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Except he'd run into the upper limit of Str 25 in 2E. Also, in 2E you don't get a bonus to your stats every 4th level. The stats you start off with at the beginning of your adventuring career are the ones you're stuck with to the bitter end (strength-enhancing items aside).

I'd put his Str at 22 in 2E and maybe 30 in 3E.

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

When's the next site update? :rolleyes:

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

AAHH!!! I'm so anxious, but I'm already in the Assylum with a different barbarian picture, (he's just as ripped as Conan, maybe more, but just not as cool!@!). I need that Conan portrait!!!!!!!! :mad:

Well... for all interesting, I found this stuff on Conan for the d20 system!
    http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/hosted/adilbrand/conan/conan21.htm

[ March 22, 2004, 06:21: Message edited by: omnigodly ]

6. Kenshiro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yeah, Conan wouldn't be a idiot. If you ever saw the original film, they actually educated him fairly well, if nothing else, in military history tactics, languages, etc. I'd say his INT would be around 13-14. On that regard, thats why I liked Yoshimo, he reminded me of Subotai, from the original Conan film. I'd bet he was a influence when they made the film.

7. david w Gems: 19/31

Some interesting stats there for Conan. I'd completely forgotten his history as a thief. Charisma seems a little high (18) for someone who's basically a tank though.

8. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Yea I know, at first I thought so too, but then I realized, what you saw in the movies was semi-off from who he was in the books I guess. He WAS destined to become a king, and you can't have a king with low Charisma, just wouldn't work!

9. david w Gems: 19/31

You've obviously never met the English Royal Family. ;)

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

such stat inflation (sigh); I remember playing od&d with natural 3d6 stat roles; having a 16 Str felt like being conan...

11. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Truthfully, you are given 4 or 5 different methods of stat rolling/getting in D&D. You have the standard 4d6 take the top 3, 3d6 (for easier campaigns or normal campaigns with experience players), 5d6, (for hard campaigns or normal campaigns with nubs), there's the point system, in which you get a different amount of points based on how high the stat is and how difficult the campaign will be. You can get anywhere from 8-32(i think) points and all your stats start at 8. There's a lot to it. THe fact that you rolled 3d6 just made it a bit more challenging, (there's a twin in one of my campaigns, for the last 4 campaigns, (only ones he's played in), he's rolled 12 - (3 6's)18's).

*sob* no site update in over a week!! :( No Conan ports... *sob*

[ March 30, 2004, 08:04: Message edited by: omnigodly ]

12. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm a Conan fan and have read not only comics but the stories by Howard too.
    He's a super hero, one of the strongest among men (18), very dexterous as he was king of thiefs (18), wise (17) and intelligent (17) of course he would always outsmart his opponents. Amazing constitution, he'll be the last to swoon (18). Charisma I doubt, some people didn't like Cimerians, and Conan had some really bad times, on the other hand he scored all the time (10).

13. david w Gems: 19/31

I've read a lot of the Conan short stories myself and while the Str and Con scores are pretty much what I'd expect for him, Int and Wis are way too high. Granted, he's not just a killing machine and has a little in the way of brains but Int 17 and Wis 17? No way. That would make Conan one of the cleverest people in the world, and for anyone who has read much about him that's clearly not true.

14. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I can't beleive that no one has mentioned that Arnold looks like a hoser in that movie.

BTW... I'd say his STR is 19, dex is 16, CON is 18, INT is 14, WIS is 14, CHA is 15.

And the reason he scores all the time is because he's buff and hairless.

15. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Lol, well you guys can debate this stuff but his character HAS already been made out, and of course since he's level 20, he also has the stat increases (3rd ed).

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/hosted/adilbrand/conan/conan21.htm
    This is the site once again with his information:)

And yes, some of things I don't agree with on that page, but the stats I think are just right ;)

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Omnigodly, the stats on the page represent him in 3e, not 2e. There is a larger difference than you'd think between the two rulesets's abilities.

Also, jut because one guy says his stats are like that it ain't set in stone. The only exeption is if it is official.

17. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Those are made in correlation with the author of the Conan series if I recall correctly, so they're official, and there's not that big of a difference between how stats are in 2e and 3e, the only differences are how the bonuses work. Someone of 23 str is unmatched by almost any human on earth, someone of 18 str is the product of 1 chance birth out of 3600 or 36000 I believe, can't remember. 23 strength would be conan, not 18, the standard strong adventurer (18str) is weaker than conan's base strength, it's the way he was raised and such ;)

18. david w Gems: 19/31

Made in correlation with the author of the Conan series?

That would be Robert E. Howard who was dead a long, long time before the first edition of AD&D came out, let alone 3E rules.

19. Radithrade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok this might seem a bit redundant, but back to the portraits. I'm not quite sure how to make them, but I'd imagine you'd just need to resize a picture to a certain pixel dimensions. First try finding some regular movie pictures somewhere online. Then just crop or resize them with paint. Just a suggestion.
    Oh yeah, this post reminds me of the time my friends and I saw Conan the Barbarian: the tape we rented was missing the second B on the label, so we just kept calling the movie "Conan the Bare arian" - quite fitting since he was naked all the time :lol:

20. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

haha, I've already got the portraits, and bleh, so'all good, Conan roxx0rs, but I'm ova him :heh:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.