1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite mods

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by angryguy, Oct 27, 2004.

1. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am actually going through Unfinished Business at the moment. So far I have not came accross any of the special quests and have not tried the new ranger kits yet. It seems quite good but my game shuts off for no reason now. I am not sure if this is an issue with U.B or not.

2. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Good to hear, Alavin. I always felt that mod was a great idea that deserved to get fixed up. With readable english, I'd even recommend it to people looking for a powergaming experience (notice how I suddenly make it relevant to this thread again).

I like UB well enough also, but generally speaking quest mods don't do it for more. I'm a Tactics junky (I replay Improved Illych all the time, just for fun), and I like NPCs, but generally I don't go for the quests. Maybe you've inspired me to branch out, SimDing0.

3. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ok, then, where can i get Tashia and improved planar sphere? Thanks guys.

I will agree with the points made above- bad english ruins mods. Apart from anything else, you remember that it is just something written, rather than a real world. Maybe I'm the only one that sees it that way though.

And quest mods... well, they have to be incredible to fit in with the real game. Maybe my opinion is biased by wading through all the awful dialogue in Tactics.

4. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Heheh, that's pretty nice to know.

And for anyone with any concern, I can assure you that anything at http://www.pocketplane.net/ which isn't clearly marked as a joke (so that's basically Dungeon-Be-Gone excluded) has dialogue that blends in perfectly with the original game.
    I can also assure you that unless someone's totally rewritten Planar Sphere Expansion, you're not going to be very impressed with the dialogue in that one. It doesn't do much to show off the quality of other mods.
    I don't really consider quest mods to need any greater care than other types of mod when considering dialogue quality. There are just as many terribly written NPCs about. :)

5. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i like pretty much most quest mods and any mods that add tactical challenges, because i love a good challenge. mods like:
    Tactics
    Improved Battles
    Improved Asylum area among my favourites.
    My favourite NPC mods would be a toss up between Chloe and Kelsey, both of which I just love to have, plus they arent too overpowered for my liking.
    Good quest mods would be:
    Quest Pack
    Gibberlings Three Anniversary mod
    Unfinished Business (possibly because of the hilarious Boo getting kidnapped quest, oh how i laughed when i do that)
    There are heaps more mods that are good, but thats my two cents.

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

SimDing0:

I believe UB to be a really great mod, but I think the reason there isn't a lot of enthusiasm is because it's relatively unfinished. Granted, it brings quite a bit to the table, such as the Minsc dialogue, and the Bodhi hunt, but it's more or less in the background. I'm not trying to put down the mod at all. I think it's great, which is why I listed it in my favs. But it is only, what, 30% done? That's not including ToB either. But I do expect it will be on everybody's favorites list once all the planned additions are implemented.

At any rate, take comfort in the fact that you've got one die-hard fan.

Homage is yours, Sim. :)

BTW, has anyone here felt out that Sir Nah'Taniel (spelling?) NPC. It sounds like a really sweet-ass idea, him being a wraith and all. I'm just wondering if it's really as cool as it sounds?

7. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, there's no reason not to be playing UB even though more stuff will be added in the future - there's still an awful lot there...

Though I'm not sure where people get exact figures such as 30% from, since I myself don't even know how much there is to do. ;)

8. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I haven't tried the wraith knight yet, but I also agree that it's a great idea. I am running a Valen game right now, and when I'm done, I might try out the wraith.

9. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

Since I want Solaufein fairly early in the game, I try to get to the Underdark as quickly as possible, leaving most (if not all) of the other side quests for when I have him in my party. By doing so, I've found he has some interesting banters with people along the way. That, and I really like the romance. :love: :yum:

10. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Im not too sure about NPC's from wierd races, like a wraith, a demon, or Valen, for that matter. Although I'm playing Valen at the moment, and it works quite well, i can see it taking over from the NPC's personality. For example with Valen you get a good picture of what its like to be a vampire- weakness in the sun, compulsive agression, etc. But she never says anything. Still, if its done well i might try it.

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I have:
    Ease of Use
    Quest Pack
    Hell Trials
    Underrepresented Items
    Imoen Romance
    G3 Anniversary
    Dungeon Be-Gone
    Hessa One Day NPC

Ease of Use and Dungeon Be-Gone are certainties in all of my games.

Underrep Items - IWD2 has some great items I've always wanted to use in BG2.

Hessa will be an excellent NPC mod when fully fleshed out. At the moment, she is already one of my favourite NPCs, she behaves like such an out and out thief.

I like the quest pack. Except Moiya doesn't show up when one of her kids asks you to go to the slums. More quest mods I reckon, there can never be enough stuff to do around Amn!

The G3 Anniversary mod is excellent. Nothing quite like a pub crawl, adds to the roleplaying when you aren't busy hacking everyone to shreds!

Hell Trials - great because I always play neutral characters.

Imoen Rom adds greatly to one of the most important characters in the game. Before the mod she is about as bland as plain bread. Now she actually has a personality!

Waiting for:
    A mod(s) with more NPCs, quests and party interaction!

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Andyr,

I was just going by this thread.

13. Andyr Gems: 14/31

Ah, right. :) Will probably update that soon.

Well it serves as a guide, but it's hard to say exactly how much work each component will entail.

14. Caedwyr Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Personally I'd wait a while, at least until the full version of the Neh'taniel (wraith paladin) mod is released. Amazordra has commented that she probably made an early alpha build of the mod available far too early to the general public. There is some great stuff coming in this mod, but if you try playing the current alpha build you will only be disappointed.

On the other hand, I'm sure Ama would appreciate some beta testers to tell her what works and what doesn't.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.