1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's your favorite spell?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by rumblebelly, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] iirc you can kill kangaax using Melf's magic meteors .... which is iirc a spell ... though I forget if they killed him or my cavalier so I may be wrong.

Anyway: Melf's magic meteors rock! About the best ranged weapon for a mage in BG-2 SoA :)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 07, 2002).]

2. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Favorite spell? As with most things, it depends on the situation...right tools for the job and all that..

dragons: 3X lower resistance in a spell trigger, greater malison, finger of death (in that order).

demons/undead: 3Xholy smite in Aerie's spell sequencer. (Can't wait to get 3 bolts of glory in a trigger...)

anything pesky, little, annoying, etc...umber hulks, minotaurs, whatnot: the ass kickin' death spell.

defensively, gotta go with the mage-killing combo of improved invisibility + spell immunity/divination...

my two centavos

3. C'Jakob Guest

The only time I killed Kangaxx was with MMMs, so they do work agains the demi-lich. However, you'll need to be firing around 50+ of them, so have a few more memorized, or just buy the scrolls. :p

4. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've found the Skull Trap to be more effective than for example Fireball. Especially if you put 3 in a Spell Sequencer. Killed all of the Golems in Firkraags dungeon with Skull Trap only. Works amazingly well against Adamantine Golems and Iron Golems.

Cheers.

5. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

For once you are right rofl.

Skull Traps are as powerful as Thief traps.
    Use them wisely.

6. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] My personal faves are more low-level oriented: Holy Smite (like napalm vs. undead!), Magic Missile (duh) :heh:, Lightning Bolt (use a bank-shot to get monsters ball, corner pocket):cool:, Stoneskin (can't touch this!):borg:, and Haste (can't catch this!) :roll:.
    You will all have to wait til I attain levels enough to gain use of the cooler spells you have referenced.

7. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Skull traps as powerful as thief traps? What? Skull traps are *not* party friendly. And magic resistance counters skull traps, which is not true of thief traps.

8. Desu Gems: 6/31

If you solo a Mage, you will thank for the existence of Skull Traps. So yes, they are both equally good. I used wrong word there, what I meant was useful.
    Oh well :p

9. Nobody Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Favorite spells I use most are Orb, Slow, Haste, Slow and slow. Did I mention Slow? :roll:

10. monkey Gems: 6/31

Do TDD spells count - i think the spell is called searing light - it seems to instantly kill all undead even Kangaxx (you will need two).
    If TDD spells dont count then magic missile is my favourite - its simple and its never going to get disrupted.

11. yappie! Guest

Magic Missile!!!

12. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Chronamtic Orb owns Magic Missile IMO.
    Skull Trap is king.. and haste mayby queen :p

13. Myrddraal Guest

My favourite spell is defintitely Insect Plauge.

Defensive: Nothing beats spell trap, cast straight from my staff of the magi.(not really a spell then but oh well)

Other offensive: Lower resistance

14. Kuja Gems: 1/31

Fireball all the way. Cloudkill isn't that bad either if you have ranged characters.
    Contingency and Spell Trigger are preety good too.

15. Kyrre Gems: 1/31

Haste rox!!

16. Aksun Papa Gems: 1/31

I like Confusion :confused:, it's not the most powerful or effective spell, but I kina like it. It's very usefull, when you figh with a large number of middleclass enemies. However I had to say, that with very poweful enemies it's generaly useless, because they never fail their saving throws. :(
    And another thing, if you have the Harp of Discordance you can cast it for three times per day.

17. buzz142010 Guest

There are three spells I love...
    Protection: Spell Trap
    Offensive: Chain Lightning
    Misc.: Time Stop
    the ultimate combination for multi-enimy combat :evil:

18. Buddas Hand Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Offensive:Time Stop
    Defensive:Time Stop
    Misc:Time Stop

As you can see Time Stop is my fav spell.

By the way the best spell against kangxx is lower restitance x4 from 2 mages. A better way to kill him is (obviously) to use a protection from magic spell on your best fighter armed with something deadly e.g. Celestial Fury!

[This message has been edited by Buddas Hand (edited April 20, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.