1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's your favorite spell?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by rumblebelly, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

2. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

buff/defensive: Ironskins, stoneskin, righteous magic
    offensive: Magic missile, skull trap, pierce magic, breach

3. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think Breach, Pierce Magic and Lower Resistance don't count as you _must_ use them or else.

My favorite defensive spell is of course Stoneskin, closely followed by Ghost Armor.

In the offensive sphere, I am a fan of Chromatic Orb (when you least expect it, it halves your labour in a fight) and Chain Lightning (takes out the smallest enemies. Also until you get Abi Dalzim it is the best party-friendly area effect spell). Skull Trap is another underestimated spell - it does the same work as Fireball, but deals more damage, does pure magical damage and not elemental (either a bonus or a malus, depending on the foe) and can be used both as a delayed and as an instant attack.

Among the remaining ones, I just *love* Limited Wish. Be quick in having your _cleric_ talk to the djinni and you can get 6 Globes of Invulnerability at the cost of a level 7 spell.

4. Ebany Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

easy, favourite spells:
    Haste (can't live without it)
    Magic missile (Low level, and quite powerful)
    Flame Arrow (Mid level, still VERY powerful)
    Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (Deadly!)
    And also, ofcourse
    Cone of Cold (Fun to use, and does quite much damage)

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Spells like fireball, flame arrow and magic missiles seem to be the rugular spells that i use.

6. Brightblade Gems: 4/31

Insect plauge, or creeping doom, best spell.

7. Izaad Guest

What about spell sequencer? I sequenced 3 FLAME ARROWS...Wow, that was a lot of damage, it filled up a whole maximized menu worth of damage listings (all 10+ damage). Needless to say, that gibblering was sorry he crossed me :)

[This message has been edited by Izaad (edited April 01, 2002).]

8. KsaN Gems: 1/31

Finger of death must be my favourite
    spell or magic missile.

9. Daer´tan Gems: 1/31

i love stoneskin and i love Nishruus. i usually use Abi dalzim and breach too.

10. Lithorn Gems: 4/31

Abi dizams horrid wilting, timestop, breach, and haste. Maybe lower resitstance to.

11. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Defensive: stoneskin, fireshield, mirror image

Offensive: fireball, skulltrap, chain lightning

Summoning: animate dead, Mordenkainen's sword

Tactical: greater malison, horror, web, power word stun

12. CBrate Gems: 1/31

Although I've never found a good use for it, Grease always seems to make me break out in giggles.

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    At the moment I discover the hidden strengths of cleric spells like boom of Lathander, coordinated defence, bless, smithe evil (great on vampires, beholders, sahuagin, trolls, and Kua-Toas), just magic, holy might (not draw upon holy might), poison (lvl-4 spell) and such. I have to say I always underestimated clerics.

My halfling priestess of Lathander now is lvl-20 and I'm looking forward to face Bohdi the second time - after I did the planar sphere quest (and I almost reached the x-cap). Not quite a spell but ... turn undead is funny ;)

14. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Guess there are som good combo spells:

Time Stop, then Abi-Dalzim and Improved Mantle/Absolute Immunity, then Time Stop again and 3 more Abi-Dalzim. Unbeatable tactic.

Then we have the Spell Sequencer:
    Cast Spell Sequencer and put 3 Chromatic Orbs in it (if you're lvl 12+). Killed Firkraag with this tactic.

Then of course the outstanding, BUT kinda boring tactic:
    Time Stop (not neccecary), Web, Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill. Possibly Death Fog to.
    Cast Fireballs into this and you'll.... own. :lol:

15. Desu Gems: 6/31

Eh, try doing that to Kangaxx or [ToB monster removed]. You'll own? Wtf man... those are just "rubbish" (considering you can cast way higher level spells) low level spells (except for the timestop).

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 06, 2002).]

16. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

FFS!!!! :mad: Perhaps not all tactics work on the toughest enemy in SoA!! Moron...

17. Desu Gems: 6/31

You truly are the Idiot of this Board.

Sigh.

Cheers.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ahem. There are to be NO personal attacks on the boards.

19. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Plus that most spells doensn't work on Kangaxx. Overall it's Abi-Dalzims HW, but you'll get it somewhat deep in the game.

And I'm no idiot; I just said the spells that I've had most use - atleast among the most - of. Can't kill Kangaxx with most of the spells (if any?).
    I was only doing what I'm suppose to do in this thread; say my favoutie spell... And I say again: moron...

[Did I not just say no personal attacks? I expect you to follow my directions; if you do not or cannot, you are not welcome here. - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 06, 2002).]

20. Desu Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Blackthorne, it was no personal attack... I was just stating that he is the idiot of the week/board, like it was shown on his avatar. After all, he called me a moron first :p.

[You two really are a combo... Now you go read the Forum Rules & FAQ and see what it says about Idiots & Morons: "Advice to other forum members regarding the treatment of Idiots or Morons: Do not mock them or point out their mistakes any more. They have been punished already, and if they need further encouragement, the admins will take care of it." And it's besides the point now since his week's up and the plaque was removed.] -Tal

And no you cannot kill Kangaxx with any spell. Besides your Ubercombo... try that on the party fex found in the sewers of the Temple district. Or even the party in the Guarded Compound.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 07, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.