1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Piss-off moments

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Sorry I got the wrong monster :o

[ May 16, 2003, 10:46: Message edited by: Shrikanth ]

2. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I was fighting the evil Kangaxx and was just ready to strike the last blow to this demi-lich form. As Minsc ran forward and hit him for a final time, Kangaxx looked towards my character. :eek:

He let all one last shot before Minsc sent him to hell. You guessed it ... even after Kangaxx died his final Imprisonment hit its mark....

(Excessive cursing) .... Reload :flaming:

3. Gideon Pepys Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I know it sounds almost backwards, but my most pissed off moment came the first time I faced up to one of BG2's legendary dragons.

I hadn't bought the game for about eight months after it came out (had too many other games on the go), so I'd heard alot on forums about how hard they were to chunk. Never read any hints, tips or spoilers, though, but I already knew what to expect from PnP.

First up was the Shadow Dragon. Big, black, breathtaking and scary. I got all my characters souped up and ready, made myself a fresh pot of coffee and was ready to rumble.

My first ever PC - and my favourite to date - was a Monk named Schichiroji (after one of the 7 Samauri). He stepped up first - hoping to rely on his high AC and magic resistance to stave off the onslaught. Not expecting success, he kicked off the proceedings by slapping the beast with a Quivering Palm.

Splat. It was over. The ****er was dead!

I know I should have been pleased, and I guess dear old Schichiroji would have been mighty relieved from a roleplaying perspective, but I have to say it was one hell of a let down, after all the pre-fight build up!

I saved the game, reloaded and had another crack, but half-way through, I thought - this is stupid -I'm actually trying to do WORSE than I did first time round!!

Needless to say, didn't get quite that lucky against Firkraag... :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Oo! Just remembered a worse one.

SPOILERS ...

Same game - my first. Decided (because I didn't trust Simon Havaerean) to go straight into the Underdark.

Many gameplaying hours later I read on a website about the sea voyage, the Githyanki attack, the Sahuagin City and ... The Gauntlets of Crushing (+4 to hit & dmg.)

I'd just missed two whole game areas AND the best (ONLY?) monk-oriented item in the whole game!

I tried to go on but it was no use. I was just about to return the silver eggs to Adolon when I realised I was going to have to go back - all the way back to before Irenicus' Maze, which is where I'd made my last save...

But my trip through the underdark was just that bit smoother the second time round. Pureed Drow, anyone? :cool:

[ May 17, 2003, 03:24: Message edited by: Gideon Pepys ]

4. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I once dropped some really good items (hilt of the Equaliser, Crom Faer scroll and a few others) on the ground while I was sorting out some of my characters' inventories, and then forgot I'd drop them and wandered off. By the time I remembered they were long gone.

5. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I didn't get dilbert and his friends the ale and swords in time, so I got cheated out of the experience, and I kept dying because of some stupid trap in neb's little house....damn gnome.

6. Redeemer Gems: 1/31

I think the most annoying moment was when i for the first time made the shadow druid quest. I choosed Jaheiera for the battle and it all went by just fine. Except for the fact that everything she carried were dropped on the ground, including equalizer pommel jewer, wawe shaft etc. I forgot to pick it up and since i just used quick save and auto save i got kinda pissed.

Another annoying thing that happens ALL the time is that my cleric allways get paralyzed first.

Sorry for any bad spelling ~~

7. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Well, you know that druid challenge master reminds you to pick up your gear in the dialogue after the battle... ;)

8. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

after weeks of trying to decide between girlfriends I finally decided on Jaheira.... and two days later she died.... now no one flirts with me anymore... and all I've got is this locket with our pictures in it.... sniff... sniff...

9. Maroth Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] One of my worst experiences was when i fought Irenicus in spellhold, after quite many reloadings I finally was winning, having killed all the clones and all. Then I had someone from my party cast disintegrate on Irenicou and he fails his save. :doh: *BLOP* :doh: The plot dosen't move at all and nothing happen. After some moments feeling proud over beeing too powerful for the plot I had to load again. Without noticing I clicked Save instead of Load and Whee there goes my Game

10. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

When I, feeling so powerful, played two hours without saving and Aerie died her final death... (insane difficulty and abi-dazim - who could have known? She had 61 HPs!)
    (or)
    When I wanted to try something and loaded quicksave I made *some* time ago. I haven't got another save, so I thought I will return to my recent auto-save. Then, stil in the old quick-saved game I left the area...

11. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have to agree with the Shadow Dragon fight. The first time I fought him, I had Aerie cast a few Lower Magic Resistance. Then Anomen cast a single Finger of Death - zap - down goes the dragon.

I would have been happy, but I couldn't stand the thought of that arrogant #$%^@ yapping about that for the rest of his life!

12. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, being chased by a Nishuru in circles is pretty pissed off. And you get pissed more if that Nishuru hit you.

13. CXwinds Gems: 1/31

Killing the Elder Orbs in the Drow Quests. After killing almost all of them, and then to have one of the orbs imprision your main character. ARGH! Same with demi-lich imprisioning your main character when he's near death. So annoying!!!

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Whatever is legitimate does annoy, but it's quite soon beaten to death one way or another.

What is really annoying is illegitimate characters, spell effects and similar, which include:

stoneskin on stoneskin over - in contingency

- beholders and gauts hitting through walls

- enemies targeting spells at individual invisible characters, which inaccessible to you and contrary to what game tips say

- sometimes enemies also seem to know what you're protected from and use different methods of attack - this is for sure annoying, but I'm not sure if it's something in game scripts. Anyway, there's no way to tell if you're for example protected from fire and not protected from cold
    without trying both. Or casting breach at least

- there are some other examples suggesting that sometimes enemies know what they shouldn't know

- additional, special effects of spells that aren't available with normal spell use. I understand that several wizards might have tampered with spells and created augmented ones, but it's not free lunch anyway

- enemies with abilities they shouldn't have. Very special feats and abilities are the domain of third edition and should also be available to player characters. Again, some of those might be legitimate and only appear 'augmented' in performance.

However, so far as pure annoyance without any particular reason or aim is considered, Annoyman (Anomen) rules supreme. All hail the fool!

15. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

[​IMG] I can top this.
    Getting halfway through the game, then having your hard drive melt, and not being able to play for four months, and then having to start from the beginning as a pathetically weak paladin.

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Pathetically weak? Draw upon holy might will fix it. Twice daily from Bhaal powers you get for LG alignment.

17. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

Some of my worst moments prolly come from battles that you dont auto save before. The slavers battle which u do early on comes to mind... The mindflayers and Beholders in underdark are annoying as hell also. Finally the worst fight for me is usually the Tactics Twisted Rune fight though, its a real pain in the ass now

18. knightlight Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Any time that I have ever been Imprisoned. That spell is the most freakishly overpowered, game balance disrupting, annoying thing in the game. Some stoned developer had a serious mage fetish... "No! Wait! Now that the mage can make himself completely invincible and then stop time, let's let him kill the main character with ONE SPELL that Magic Resistance can't counter! Now everyone will HAVE to play a mage!" The fact that only one non-mage character (Berserker) can avoid being Imprisoned at will bugs me. Why not just give every mage in the game Diety Kill or Rapture of the Father? Those are instant-kill plot device spells too...

Sorry, I've needed to say that for a while. That single spell is the one thing that ruins the game for me whenever I encounter it. Grr.

19. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I hate how the humans all look like military men, with their crewcuts. Yeah thats pityful but it bothers me.

Oh and Umberhulks with there super confusing powers and speed. They bother me.

20. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Another one from my sister

Jan dies.
    Jahiera level drained to point where she cannot use hapers call.
    No recent saves, Auto saves quick saves etc.
    Middle of Firkrags dungeon.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.