1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Crossbow?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Isshy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I currently have the Giant Hair and the Heavy Crossbow of accuracy, which of those 2 do you like better and why (for Keldorn) ? also what is the best crossbow in the game?

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

How much time does Keldron spend shooting bolts anyways?

I like the Giant Hair Xbow better. The Heavy Xbow of Searing is good too, since it does additional fire damage which punches thru stoneskin.

3. -s_c- Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Light Crossbow of Speed is better than either. Pick up a bunch of Kuo-Toa bolts and watch Keldorn disable multiple enemies in seconds.

4. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Heavy Crossbow of accuracy was my favourite in SOA. A bit slow, though. Maybe you'd be better off with Crossbow or speed, or, better still, with some other party member with a sort bow.

5. Makini Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The drow crossbows are the best - yet they always remain in the blasted Underdark. Too bad :(

Otherwise I'd recommend the Light Xbow of speed.

6. Isshy Gems: 7/31

Kuo-Toa bolts? What and where are they?

7. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Underdark, mostly. You'll have to wait.
    Also, Planar Sphere.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I tend to prefer a high firing rate over extra power or damage (or free ammo). That's why I agree with the light crossbow of speed.

9. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've never had him use the Giant Hair, so I can't comment on it. I have him stick with the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy, since the way I use him, most of the time he only fires one bolt, then whips out his two-handed sword and wades into the fray - so rate of fire isn't important, but the THAC0 and damage bonuses are.

10. Isshy Gems: 7/31

But the difference between the Crossbow of Accuracy and the Giant Hair Crossbow is the Accuracy Xbow Gives better Thaco but less damage (+5 Thaco, +2 damage) so it is a +5 weapon I think....The Giant Hair has less Thaco but more damage (+3 thaco, +5 damage) and is a +3 weapon I think. They are the same speed. I use Keldorn as a utility man not a tank. He is 2nd in line (behind my tank) and Yoshimo is 3rd with a bow (unless backstabbing). My general everyday strategy is, after prep, to run my protagonist R/C tank into combat dual wielding while keldorn and Yoshi snipe with bolts/arrows and my mage does her thing. If there is a lot of enemies I'll switch Keldorn to Caromsyr and front line him, but in many battles he doesn't have to do that and continues firing bolts. I think that maybe the Giant Hair is better for general use but the Xbow of Accuracy must be better at hitting high level monsters that are immune to lesser weapons. The Light XBow of Speed sounds nice if you've got good bolts and Thaco, (especially for interrupting mages while they are casting spells), but being only a +1 weapon I doubt it will be useful later in the game...am I wrong about that?

11. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Well, if a weapon gives you +5 to Thac0 it is not necessarily a +5 weapon. Besides, it is a missile weapon, so it depends on the bolts you use. You can use plain bolts with Crossbow of Accuracy, for example, and not hit anything, or use +2 bolts with Light Crossbow of Speed. But there'll be enemies who require +3 weapons, and there're no +3 bolts in SOA.

You see, as Keldorn has about 3 melee attacks, and deals 20-25 damage with every attack, maybe it's better to use them as melee fighter ? Two melee fighters kill much faster.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Light crossbow of speed. Anything with extra attacks is always good, especially with missile weapons. The kuo-toa bolts are deadly, especially in the hands of a fighter with grand mastery... I was doing 5 attacks per round and stunning just about anything.

Though I still think most magical short bows are far better than any crossbow...

13. Gro'Mul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Crossbow of speed, used as backup against spellcasters to disrupt their spells.

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Crossbow of speed, for that extra attack. Besides, I think that it's the enchantment of the projectiles that counts, not the launcher, right?

15. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Crossbow of Affliction is good.. +4
    Firetooth is good, especially when upgraded .. fires it's own +2 fire bolts with no ammo needed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.