1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Moonblade

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Nildar, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Nildar Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] How has the Moonblade been made so that only Xan can wield it? I have looked on IEEP and I can't find any reason why no one else can use one. Is it hard coding or is there a way to make another Moonblade that can only be used by the PC if of course the PC is an elf?

2. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think that you will get it when you have killed the boss in Nashkel Mines (in one of the chests I think)

3. Nildar Gems: 2/31

I know where to find it. The problem is that only Xan can use it and when he dies you may think woohoo! I can use his Moonblade, the blade dies too. I want to make one for my PC but make it like Xan's, in that only my PC can use it.

4. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You cant do it in the game - but if you want to you can use Shadowkeeper to place the Moonblade.
    You can download Shadowkeeper right here at SP.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

With IEEP you can copy all the effects and make it useable by Elf's only. Of course, if you want that only your PC should use it you makes it fits his description. Example:
    You have a chaotin neutral elf fighter, you makes it useable only by chaotic neutral elf fighters. If you still can't get it to work I can make one with the precisely same effects and send it to you. PM me for more details.

6. Nildar Gems: 2/31

I've PM'd you about it. I hope there is a way to make it specific to me and me alone. My plan is to pick it up when Gorion dies. Ok that means making it droppable but if I die no one is going to use it because it will be game over load your last save. I just thought Gorion could have kept it for me and was going to give it to me later. Unless there is a way to make Gorion give it to me when I talk to him, like another dialogue thingy when you say you are ready to go, Gorion says something like "Take this sword child, it was your mother's. She asked me to keep it for you and now it seems the time is right for you to have it" and then we leave and he dies. Or something like that.

[ July 16, 2003, 15:35: Message edited by: Nildar ]

7. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Gotta say that that is one great idea Nildar.
    *Impressed*

:D

8. Nildar Gems: 2/31

Question is, can it be done? :hmm:
    Essentially you'd need two dialog.tlk files, one for when your an elf and one for when you are not. Basically because Moonblades can only be wielded by elves and in one instance a Half-Elf so it can be done, but any other race would need the unmodified dialog.tlk

[ July 16, 2003, 23:47: Message edited by: Nildar ]

9. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Not an expert, but can it be that hard to make Gorion say: "I´ve kept this since your mothers passing. Let´s see if you can make as good use of it as her" or whatever. And then you´d get it and you´d leave Candlekeep. If people can make things as DSoTSC that small thing must be pretty easy.

10. Nildar Gems: 2/31

I doubt it's hard if you know how, unfortunately I don't. I only know how to edit NPC's and weapons, that's how I made the Moonblade different to Xan's, but that is as far as my modding knowledge on BG goes.

11. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

PC's mom is a priestess of Bhaal.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Who was about to sacrifice you before Gorion saved you, so i doubt she would have given Gorion something to pass on, lol

13. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, i'll just answer your question: The Moonblades are made with magic for elves who have passed a test or deserved it in other ways. It is made with magic bound to the elf and that is why none other than the one it was made for can use it.

14. Nildar Gems: 2/31

I know all about the Moonblades, I actually meant in terms of the game and it's coding. I actually didn't know the PC's mum was a priestess of Bhaal, I thought she died during childbirth (ain't played ToB yet) so I guess for the roleplay aspect the Moonblade is going bye bye!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.