1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most Useless Spell?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by CrayZHorse, Jan 25, 2002.

1. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I still don't see why those touches would be usefull to fighter mages. Don't they have weapons that are far more powerful?

2. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well, you can have ghoul touch active while still having a weapon in your off hand. So you're holding and doing damage at the same time! I know from experience that this is an awsome spell!

3. total Guest

I dont know what is good with infravision? I see my way without it also. Invisibility (there are much better versions in SoA), I also found that 3rd level dispel magic is useless later (at least for me).

4. zheng89120 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Let's see...

Call lightning
    Remove Curse
    Non Detection
    Fire Shield Blue
    Pierce Magic
    Spell Strike

5. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Ghack! I'm suprised no-ones mentioning Colour spray exept me? Do you lot REALLY think it's THAT good?

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I agree with Gnolyn Lochbreaker, the lower level cleric spells have indeed the disadvantage that most opponents save vs. them easily ... a good reason to give Aerie a chance and to give her the opportunity to combine low level cleric spells with low level mage spells in a sequencer ... maybe silence 15" with greater malison ... or the lvl-1 priest spell doom with chromatic orb ... or greater malison, doom and something else :evil:

7. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Isn't resist fire/cold also lev2? It rules!

8. Lord Sarevok Guest

Silence '15 radius has a -2 penatly, which isn't bad, only problem is most mages have vocalize :(. Why do you need Aerie to do this? Have your mage cast greater malison and your cleric cast whatever spell you want.

9. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Infravision is completly useless. Except in the underdark.

10. Frodo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i think infravison and detect evil are the two most useless spels ever to be thought up.
    just my opinion.

time stop is a really good spell.

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

someone said all spell can be usefull, it just depends on who's using them. i agree with that. IF U R NOT A MAGE, then the most useless spell would be "find familiar". even though it gives a 1,000 xp points to your party when your npc mage memorize it. it can be of absolutely no use. i'm not sure with sorcerer though (can a sorcerer have a familiar?).

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Color spray, early in BG1, it's the bomb. From there it goes downhill quickly.

Now Detect Evil isn't so bad, my first time as a Paladin, doing the stronghold, I used it during one of the stronghold quests (the one where you protect the girl in the Dock's District) and it saved me a lot of grief. Besides, Detect Evil has made it's way to Screenshot of the Week, that says something :p.

13. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Infravision is useful in the Underdark? When?! :eek:...:whoa:...:hmm:...:toofar:

14. Lord Sarevok Guest

I find it really odd that one could not have a single non-human in their party...

15. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I just found it slightly useful moving in the underdark. It's half impossible for me to see down there.

16. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I think that (repeating!)Infravision and ColourSpray are complete useless!
    I have never used them except that I tried ColourSpray some times, but it never worked because the enemies level was too high.I have never used Infravision because I have always played elf or halfelf and I also use group Infravision, so I don't need it... I suppose there are several spells that are useless, but I don't know which. I guess, as you say, that Know Alignment, Grease and those other spells are useless too. I will try to find a complete useless spell like Know Alignment... Now I gotta check out the BG2 Manual, Chapter "Totally Useless Spells"! ;)

17. CrayZHorse Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Has anyone found a use for "Mage Door" yet?

That seems like a loser....

18. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

"Mage Door"? Is it frontdoor, backdoor or shadowdoor?:hahaerr:

BTW, they are all useful.

19. CrayZHorse Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sorry about that error "Mr. Syntax" :lol:

It's Shadow Door of course...and it's useless IMHO!

20. Lord Sarevok Guest

Actually I found Shadow Door to be very useful. Aside from the awsome graphic, ONLY true sight dispels it! Plus, it has a quick casting time of 1 compared to 4 of improved invisibilty.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.