1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Newbie's question

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by vinyip, May 1, 2001.

1. vinyip Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] greet all
    here is my simply question
    1)what are the use of gems and jewellery??

2)i'm considering to start a archer, is there any suggestions on this

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Hi!

a. In a few rare cases an item can be improved by giving it and the appropriate gem to a special NPC.
    b. Having a Rogue Stone in your possessions while trying to enter a specific door will allow you entry into a small extra-dimensional area where you will be faced with one of the toughest fights in the game.

2. Know your weakness!
    An archer is very bad in melee, since his AC is not good and he can't specialize in melee weapons.
    Try to maximize your advantage by using Haste to avoid melee. There are many items that can give you Haste besides the Boots of Speed. A friendly mage casting Haste is good too. ;)
    The best bows are Short Bows...

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 01, 2001).]

3. maxiwoo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Where's that door? Is it next to the unseeing I?

4. Earl Grey

[​IMG] *Spoiler!*
    In the Bridge District, southern half. It's close to where you find the man in red you hunt from a Graveyard quest - Red piece of cloth.
    Also close to one of the liches. :)

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gaaa! Quick close your eyes before Earl Grey poisons your mind about Archers! I disagree in every way in what he said about them.

Because an Archer can only be proficient in melee weapons, you have a lot of proficiency points to spread out amongst almost any melee weapon you'd like. That made my Archer extremely versitile in melee. Also, since the Archer is a Ranger kit, you get the advantage of extra dual wielding points; I'd hate to let those go to waste!

Specialization etc. does help, but IMO it's not a deciding factor in combat. As long as you're proficient in the weapon you're wielding to avoid the -4 penalty, everything is fine.

There are several fine leather armors available to the Archer (the best of which is the Shadow Dragon Scale). One you are given through your stronghold quests and so is available to you pretty early on. You may not attain the best AC of your group with your Archer, but my Archer had no problem being in the thick of battle swinging various melee weapons when the time for arrows was over.

Save the short bows for those that can't use a longbow. The Heartseeker longbow is absolutely fabulous! It's +3 or +4 normally and has a special ability to become +7 once a day I believe. The absolute best for your Archer.

My Archer was the most versitile member of my party when it came to combat, both melee and ranged. I admit it's kind of a pain in-game to switch between the longbow and dual wielding Crom Faeyr and Jhor the Bleeder or Azure Edge and the Shield of Harmony, but it sure works great! :)

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well maybe they are less good in melee, but with Crom Faeyr, (thaco +5) and other items that lower Thaco, you can still make an excellent melee-figheter out of it.

7. Earl Grey

[​IMG] LOL! Good reply, Blackthorne TA! :D

Ok, archer isn't my favorite class - you probably noticed that ;) - but I wasn't consciously trying to put it down. Honestly!
    Don't take my or anyone elses word to be the absolute truth! We all have preferences which taint our judgement. :)

* I'll try to give a better Archer review here. *
    The Archer can't specialize and cannot wear metal armor. Those are his weaknesses. Maybe not big ones, but still.

- Specialization gives an extra ½ attack/round. That's not a small thing.

- No metal armor will mean less protection. There are - as Blackthorne TA points out - excellent non-metal armors, but note a couple of things:
    1. If armor is magic you can't use Ring/Cloak/Amulet of protections.

2. Armor type protection against Slashing, Piercing and Bludgeoning attacks.

- Example:
    Full Plate have these modifiers:
    Piercing -3
    Slashing -4
    Bludgeoning 0

Leather meanwhile have these modifiers:
    Piercing +2! (that's a penalty, not a bonus)
    Slashing 0
    Bludgeoning 0

The strengths then!
    The Archer uses fighter THAC0, so he will have an excellent THAC0 regardless of weapon.
    His HP's will be as good as any other fighters.
    Enemies will look like a pincushion in seconds. :)

Long Bow or short Bow?
    * Minor Item spoilers below! *
    Your THAC0 as Archer is excellent enough not to need any bonus from a bow. I'd look for a special ability instead, like these from short bows:
    - Tansheron's Bow (No ammo required!)
    - Tuigan Bow (extra shot/round!)

The Mana Bow is the only Long Bow I know with a useful ability: +20% resistance to magical damage. Not bad at all!

Dual wielding Rangers...
    Ahh! But there's the rub! Would you not rather have your Ranger always using those free bonus proficienies? :)
    See your ranger charge! Celestial Fury flashing in one hand and Crom Faeyr in the other. Maybe not... a Fighter could do that even better than a Ranger after all.

My Conclusions
    - Rangers are best off being dual classed to a Cleric. I'm expecting to be flamed good for that statement! :D

- The Archer is the best Ranger kit. If you love bows you must try the Archer!
    There! Happy now? ;)

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 01, 2001).]

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ahhh... Much better, and so full of TRUTH this time! ;)

As far as short and longbows are concerned, my half-elven Archer wouldn't be caught dead with a short bow! ;)

9. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

uh earl, that tuigan bow would suck if for the archer as that would reduce his/her attacks to 3 and he/she couldnt eventually reach 5 attacks couldnt they? thats how many mazzy had with gesen bow. I prefer crossbows cause of the lightning bolt n bolt of polymorph.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.