1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best fighter race/ kit/ class combinations ...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I always chose pure fighter as my first choice, not because its the easiest, well yeh cause its the easiest. Humans with good dexterity are a pretty universal.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yes silverdragon, pure fighters are defintely the most ballanced char class in the game. You can concentrate on the basics (str/ dex/ con/wis) to get a powerful char easily.

Axtually I found two race/ class combinations to be pretty useless: elven & halfling kensai.
    Both races give good ranged weapon chars for both can get dex-19 and have infravision. Their lack of strength (halfling) and con (elf) are disadvantageous for the kensai kit.

I think the best race for kensai is a dwarf followed by the half orc. Both races strengths (high con & good saving throws for the dwarf/ high str & con for the half orc) are most useful for the kensai.

To put dex-19 in a kensai is useless for he won´t get any AC boni (dex 18-20: AC-4; dex-21+: AC-5) - the point would be better invested in wisdom (better saving throws against mind affecting spells - strangely enough int does not influence this).

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 04, 2001).]

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

A dwarven kensai? I can't imagine a dwarf adopting any fighting style centred on grace and elegance, as opposed to running straight at the enemy with a bloody great axe.

4. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Ragusa: you can only have percentile/exceptional strength if its 18/whatever not 19/whatever or 20/whatever

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Actually, at one time I ahd 3 games running -a good one, an evil one and a power one.
    The power one I ran on the Insane difficulty, and in my patry I had 3 chars - Swachbuckler/Fighter, Ranger/Cleric and Kensai/Mage.
    That gave me a very good possibility to see what are they worth in the thickness of battle.
    I found out the following: you have to distinguish three things about the character: its offense, its defense and its usefulness to the party.
    Yes, a Barbarian is cool - but a party made up of Barbarians will be slaughtered in some parts of BG2.
    So: Barbarians have OFFENSE.
    Mages and Druids and Ranger/Clerics have DEFENSE - Stone(Iron)skin is one of the best things you can have.
    Thieves, Mages and Clerics are USEFUL.
    From my game a K/M and a R/C were the best, and they had almost identical number of kills. They both survived much better than the S/F because of the protections (a Golem can do 70 damage in one blow on INSANE difficulty). But offense-wise a S/F was the best - THACO of -16.

For an overall rating I would say Ranger/Cleric - when buffed up they are almost invincible.

For those "Chaotic Evil Powergamers" (I am a True Neutral one) who use XCap remover I say Fighter/Mage/Thief is awesome (prolly best). I use this char in my evil game and even with the cap he gets almost as much kills as Korgan and he has very strong defenses. Not to forget his backstabbing.

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited April 05, 2001).]

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Modjahed, I used Fighter/Mage/Thief half-elf as True Neutral. I wouldn't change him for any of my previos mistakes.

7. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Hey Extremist, it's not actually about the alignment of the character. There was a thread "What is powergaming?" http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001879.html
    and fr34k gave a classification of powergamers. I am a True Neutral one :D - I never use the XCap remover and have 4 people in a team and let them all stay alive.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Neither do I. And just one detail about my hero - I stole from Adventurer's Mart's seller (i'm a thief amongst all, can't remember seller's name now) a nice ring - don't wanna spoil more. Since he robs me I rob him as neutral. Without that ring I wouldn't dare to lead less than 3 party members with me so early in the game!

9. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Actually, it is technically possible to run the whole game with just 2 chars:

Fighter/Mage and Thief/Cleric. On core rules it is not very hard, on INSANE it might be more difficult. After I finish my evil run through I might try that.

Now I don't now anything about solo-ing. Has anyome actually done that without the xcap remover (i.e. from level 7)?

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Agree about those two.
    Don't think I'm a coward, but you can't be multiclassed Fighter/Thief/Mage/Cleric and that would be my perfect hero to get into solo playing.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 05, 2001).]

11. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If it was possible, instead of a fighter/mage/thief, I would have a Kensai/Sorcerer/Assassin, muahahaha. If only you could backstab with the staff of the magi, oh well cutthroat will do nicely too.

12. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Back to the 'soloing' question. If you use the search function you will find a few posts about going solo through the game. It seems like an intersting idea but, for me, half the fun of BG2 is the party interactions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.