1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this a decent party??

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Haplo, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Haplo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I want to play the game out on the insane difficulty with a party created by myself. My question is if I created a good party for trying this.

Haestan: Kensai(going to dual him to a mage at level 12) Stats : 18/00 17 18 18 10 10

Aditu: Elven Stalker. Stats: 18/00 19 17 12 17 10

Isorn: Inquisitor. Stats: 18/00 16 18 12 16 17

Sara: Halfling Swashbuckler. Stats: 17 19 18 13 15 10

Amerasu: Half-elven Cleric/Mage. Stats: 10 17 16 18 18 10

Morgenes: Human Sorcerer: Stats: 10 18 18 18 16 10

It took me probably 5 hours to roll those stats. :D So could you guys tell me if this is a good party. I have played the game only one time out on normal difficulty. So I'm still a bit of a newbie.

[ September 06, 2003, 14:53: Message edited by: Isorn ]

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] It is an excellent party.
    There is a serious risk of the game being too easy and you won't have the NPC conversations to keep you from getting bored. Even so I think you should play it through with this party. It will give you experience with the game and a perspective from how it can be with the most powerful characters (almost) possible. Make sure you don't take too long to finish it!

Enjoy! :)

3. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Try to get his dex up to 18, it will help your AC. Sacrifice charisma and put your inquisitor in the lead. Dual at level 13 for an extra 1/2 attack and some other bonuses.
    Some comments on your characters:
    I don't really think he needs intelligence or charisma, so drop that and boost wisdom.
    Try to get dex to 18.
    I'm having a little trouble with a halfling as a sort of a fightertype.. If I would make a swashbuckler it'd probably be a human or a half-orc. Anyway, the halfling might suffice, but give him a girdle of strength.
    Drop CHA and boost DEX.
    I would make him an elf. Elves get some resistances and they can put 19 in dex. Do that and drop CON to 16 (more than that won't give a sorcerer bonusses anyway). Also drop CHA and boost WIS for the (Limited) Wish.

Your party looks pretty strong and should be able to beat the game pretty good. I do however think, you're a bit weak on the melee side. You have a 13th level kensai (if you follow my advice), an inquisitor, a swashbuckler and a stalker. The swashbuckler and stalker aren't really great fighters and the kensai is pretty low level (if you would do ToB). I could go make suggestions on how I would compose a perfect party, but I'm not going to do that now. (Say so if you want that)

Overall I think your party is very good, so no worries.

4. Haplo Gems: 1/31

I'm glad it's a good party. And thank you for the tips on better stats. It will be usefull in future games. I am going to use the party like it is now though. And I will dual the kensai on level 13 like Menion Leah said. And about the stalker. I made a little type error there. She has 17 wisdom, not 15. :)

I would like to know what you would consider the best party Menion. I know people who set charisma to the lowest possible. But I don't like to do that. It is a bit easy to do it like that. :D

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Very good party. The only thing you might want to consider is to keep the Kensai single-class. You have plenty of magic already with your sorcerer, cleric/mage and, to a lesser extent, your stalker. As Menion Leah says, you are a bit light on melee, and dualling at level 13 means that you are even weaker in melee for a substantial portion of the game. However, in the end, it all depends on your playing style (I prefer a melee-based approach myself, so my "ideal" party would look somewhat different from yours). In any event, you have a good party, and you should do well with it. Good luck!

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hint: Give your cleric/mage the Fortress Shield and the Boots of Avoidance, as well as max out your sword & shield style. That, plus you dex bonus will put your AC vs. Missile weapons at -7, before putting on mage-friendly armor. ;) Bare in mind, this will require a strength of 15 (for the shield), but well worth it.

I personally would consider swapping your Stalker for an Archer, but that's me. They have the same armor restrictions. The Archer is an absolute madman. Mages don't stand a chance of getting a spell off. Don't underestimate the power of a dedicated ranged fighter.

Other than that, I'd say you may want to toy with the idea of swapping your Swashbuckler for a fighter/thief. You'll have all the same benefits, access to every weapon, the ability to wear heavier armor in situations that don't require theiving skills, and you still get a backstab multiplier. Just a thought. You will progress in levels slower, although not by much. If not that, maybe try a dual-class.

7. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Well, I'll try to compose a perfect party because the topicstarter asked for it, but bear in mind that I'm not very experienced and my views on a perfect party change all the time.

Damn, I was just typing my favorite ToB party when I realised this was the SoA forum, damn.

Well, erm, that kind of complicates things, because I'm very used to the HLA's... This won't be my party and I don't know if it would be that great, just speculating.

Elven Sorcerer:
    DEX 18/19, CON 16, WIS 18, the rest doesn't really matter
    With the Robe of Vecna and Staff of the Magi this guy is instoppable.

Halfelven Ranger/Cleric:
    STR/DEX/CON/WIS as high as possible (maybe sacrifice STR)
    This one is able to cast both druidic as well as clerical spells. I don't use him for that however, but rather as a fighter. Give him the Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages (or Mace of Disruption) and he's unstoppable. He could also occasionally cast a lot of spells.

Elven Archer:
    DEX 19, STR/CON 18, divide rest
    Profiency in longbows, because I installed the item upgrade mod. Use short bows otherwise. This one is really strong. Especially at the early stages.

Inquisitor:
    Try to get good fighter stats, but this is hard with a paladin. Sacrifice STR and wear a girdle.
    He will of course be wielding the carsomyr.

Kensai/thief:
    High STR/DEX/CON. Dual at level 9.
    Have him dualwield long swords and the Celestial Fury. He will also perform your basic thieving duties.

You don't really need a sixth character, but you could fill this spot with something you think the party is lacking. The party isn't very strong on the arcane side, but I think a sorcerer is strong enough and doesn't need backup. It isn't too good at clerical duties either, but I don't really like cleric spells. I would probably use a Blade (bard) or a Shapeshifter (druid) for the last spot. But you could also try a Monk.

But since this is just SoA, I am even less experienced. I only played through SoA without ToB once. So I don't really know what are great characters without the HLA's. Everytime I read stuff like 'What's the best...?' I always automatically think of ToB. So maybe the suggestions I made earlier, were viewed from that perspective too (don't dual at level 13 in SoA). To be honest, I wouldn't really know how to make a perfect party in SoA (not in ToB either, but at least a little better).

8. Haplo Gems: 1/31

I am not going to dual the kensai anymore cause I already have enough magic in my party. I sure wish I made him an half-orc kensai. But it's going pretty good so far with the party. :D

9. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

dont dual the kensai to mage at level 12.
    dual him at level 13 instead as you will gain alot of bonuses at level 13 (which you dont at level 12).

a common rule or "advise" for dualing kensais early on is to dual the kensai at level 9 or at level 13.

I advice the level 13 option, though it depends wether you wish to sacrifice 1 or 2 spells for more fighting bonuses.

another advice is that you become proficient in katanas, but only if the katana : dakkon zerths blade is in soa (if it isnt added when Throne of bhaal is installed).
    Dakkon zerths blade adds additional spells to cast, or more correctly: it allows you to cast more spells from certain spell levels.

just a advice: for a mage: always look for items that shorten their casting time and allow them to cast more spells.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.