1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mind Flayer Troubles

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Spellbound, May 23, 2002.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I have tried everything to get past the mind flayers in the Underdark. I have tried physical weapons, spells and protections (chaotic comm protections, neg plane protections), magic missiles, orbs, fire elementals, stalkers, monster III's....you name it and all different formations....fighters up front, mages in back....nothing is working. Need help!!!

2. Skrayper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

haste your fighter types and wail on them... use the mages for magic missles, and anything else that can do damage... possibly try cloudkill, or some other area affect dot?

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Chaotic Commands and a low armor class (Drow Full Plate +5) is all you really need, but I've heard skeletons, particularly Skeleton Warriors work very well too.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 23, 2002).]

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Rumors tell about a way mages and clerics deal with the evil brainsuckers: Sending in *gasp* brainless skeletons (not less than 6!) ... ;) You can improve the skeltons performance with bless, haste, defensive harmony and protection from evil btw.

Of course, with a good AC, high int and chaotic commands a strong melee fighter and an archer (chaotic commands as well) can deal with them too.

EDIT: Yuck, keep it short my grandma always said and she was right ... two posts faster, for one min respectively *sigh*

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 23, 2002).]

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

As stated, skeletons are the easy way. I found backstabbing with my thief to be incredibly effective as well.

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A heap of summoned creatures are a must, to absorb the mind flayers' attacks. Hasted skeletal warriors are my pick. Cast chaotic command on all you fighters and turn them invisible (or turn then invisible and take them past the illithids, that way mind blast won't catch them). When the skeletons enter the room, the illithids will focus on them. Take on the mind flayers first, then the ulitharids, and finally the umber hulks. Any int-boosting potions should be quaffed before this. Don't use any offensive magic, as the illithids have a magic resistance of about 95% anyway. Melf's minute meteors work, as the target of the spell is yourself. Archers work wonders against the flayers. They drain 7 points (I think) of int per attack, so when a fighter gets hit, withdraw him from the fight and only stop to attack when he isn't close to hostile flayers. Backstabs usually remove one flayer from the fight. After that, thieves should get out of the way of fighters and use missile weapons, as flayers have relatively many hit points. The flayers always go after stunned opponents, so keep your main character out of stun if you can. Remember, they can kill with a few hits. If a summoned monster gets stunned (those nifty skeleton warriors are immune), the flayers will head after it, giving your warriors a break, and allowing you to hit them some more (and illithids were supposed to be intelligent, sheesh.) If you're mages don't have anything to do, use their most powerful attack spells to bring down the umber hulks 90% of the illithids have as pets. Whew.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Instead of Chaotic Commands you may use Free Action spell, Ring of Free Action and Potion of Freedom to avoid the stun from Psionic Blast.
    If anyone is stuck by the Blast, you may cure it by Remove Paralysis.

8. ivanatora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Try Death Ward. It works GREAT against this "intelligence drain" atack that kills you in one hit. Against Psi Blast.. try the Greenstone amulet.

9. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

invisible stalkers works fine to...
    I just stabbed them to death, and then backed around the corner and stabbed them again. Or use free action and missile weapons.

10. Valer Gems: 7/31

When I played with 6 character, I gave them ranged weapons. First my mage(s) casted Cloud Kill to the chamber, this killed the Umber Hulks. The Mind Flayers are immune to this spell, but sometime it succeed. Than that one who did not throw the saving attacked my mage and came out. Mostly only one or two will attack you this way. And with ranged weapons you can kill them one by one. You can hit them all the time so they wont't have time to cast nor to touch you.

My solo assassin used the backstab. One hit, one kill. You can hide easily between the chambers. Traps and Free Action Ring can help a lot too...

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Just use the Greenstone Amulet or summoned creatures... And the auto-save you should also use much.... :)

12. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

I'd rather rely on quick save, it's not much of a comfort when the game autosaved three rooms of illithids ago.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IIRC, Mindflayers and associates are not very well resistant to poison. I used cloudkill quite often.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    There is a difference between the cloudkill spell and the effect of the wand of cloudkill. While the latter ignores MR the spell does not, resulting in it beeing much less effective vs the evil brainsuckers. Probably a bug.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 24, 2002).]

15. Ubull Ravenhorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I used the spell Firestorm and icestorm as well. It interrupted them to the bone, and couldn1t do anything...
    JUST BURN, Baby!
    I think Kuo-Toa is easier...

16. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

You think kuo-toa are easier? That's brilliant reasoning, man. Just awesome. But you know what? I think goblins are even easier.

17. Spellbound

I agree with you.Mind Flayer's really suck.The only way to kill them is to use Free Action.Don't send your fighter's up front unless thy have 18 intelligence because they will die faster(when mind flayer's attack they drain intelligence.if they darin all your intelligence well caboom no more party member).Also get a very low armor class and haste your whole party.

[This message has been edited by Padine the Paladin (edited May 26, 2002).]

18. parrotheada1a Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Mmm..Fire storm ;)....cloudkill..meteor swarm. :flaming: Elementals if you got 'em, a couple Sacrificial monsters..Lots of cold beer to wash down the carnage. Th..th..th..th..th :grin: Arrows of detonation or Carsomyr to wipe out the stragglers. Boo-Ya!

19. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Int. drain won't be a problem if you don't get hit by them so put on a good armor class like -10 or better on two melee char. I like Jaheira and Inquistor protagonist for this. Put chaotic commands on both of them, bless them, prot from evil them and haste them. Put a few genius potions on a quick slot and a few healing potions on another quick slot. Leave everyone else behind. Charge! If you get intel. drained, use a genius potion. The healing potions are for repairing the hurting the umber hulks or other things put on you while you are choping up the flayers. They will go down very fast and chances are you won't take many hits at all with low armor class. Chaotic commands and a low armor class is all you really need to beat these things.

20. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31

Here's what I do:
    1)Summon 5 skeleton warriors.
    2)Open door.
    3)Send skeleton warriors in.
    4)Close door.
    5)Read text and watch skeletons slaughter the flayers.

Never fails to work. And my party never gets hurt at all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.