1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bow Talk

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Javalar, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Not sure if this has been covered recently....

I picked an archer for my third time around, and he was extremely powerful.

What I did notice is that I found the Tuigan bow to be by far the most superior bow in the game, given the extra attack per round that it gives.
    Plus it allows you to use some of those funky arrows you find, instead of always selling them.

Anyone else use the infinite ammo bows instead? I think that that the damage from one extra archer arrow per round would exceed the damage you would gain by trading up to a better bow.

Cheers,

-J

2. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm a bow man myself...

My party in the game usually consists of two to three archers. My main character usually uses longbows like the Heartseeker and my other party members gets the infinite ammo bows. I enjoyed the Tuigan Bow for a while, but as I progressed it became pretty obsolete. You'll find better and stronger bows like the Elven bow, Heartseeker, Gesen... :grin:

Don't diss the infinite ammo weapons. It can save you a lot of money, not that money is a big problem there... :shake:

3. Javalar Gems: 4/31

I found that I tested all of the newer bows, (i.e. Gesen bow and Heartseeker), but that on average I didn't do as much damage.

I typically bought stacks of highly magical arrows, and carefully recorded the damages done when using different bows.

On occasion the archer will miss with the Tuigan bow, but the damage increase incurred by the extra attack is worth the occasional miss.

4. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I always use the Gesenbow.
    1)The lightning arrows just look so cool.
    2)Gesenbow hits just about anything (hits kangaxx, lightning damage penetrates stoneskin)
    3)Equiping arrows is annoying

Yes the tuigan bow does more damage (when it hits), but I just don't like playing with it.

Infinite arrows doesn't save you money.
    You can find more arrows in this game, than you'll ever use.
    Just remember to stack them.

5. Javalar Gems: 4/31

Besides, I had so much money in Chapter 2 that I had to spend it on something.

Arrows seemed fun enough.

I agree though with StressedE, sometimes it's more than annoying to watch your archer pull out his spear/halberd/sword and charge into the fray because he only had one arrow left when the battle started.

Convenience can be worthwhile.

-J

6. Gladiator Gems: 4/31

I'm more a melee man, but I do agree, Archers can be really powerful. In fact, one of my most powerful parties ever was when my main character was an Archer.
    He stood behind and shot death and damnation to his foes, supported by the magics of Edwin and Viconia, while Korgan, Keldorn and Minsc bashed their way through the enemies using the Carsomyr (Keldorn), [CENSORED by Ex]...
    I'll never forget those battles. :)

[ August 31, 2002, 10:10: Message edited by: Extremist ]

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I played once through an archer :D
    He was awsome :D :D :D
    However i used strong arm +2 requires 19str becouse it has +3 to THAC0 and damage.

8. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Gladiator...
    Aren't those ToB weapons?

[Not any more ;) ] - Ex

[ August 31, 2002, 10:11: Message edited by: Extremist ]

9. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

archers are my favorite. i especially like them to be elves and equiped with longbows. my favorite tactics is having them on stealth mode and go on a shooting spree. my archer usually accounts for around 40% of the total party's kill.

i prefer the elven court bow, which seems to be my favorite... not because of what it can do but rather because of the name and the race of my archer. besides it is a pretty good bow and can be acquired early in the game. strong arm is another good bow, but an elven archer can't have the required strength (...of course that is excluding shadow keeper out).

[ September 02, 2002, 06:42: Message edited by: nior ]

10. Gothmog

Only a non-elfic char imported from BG1 (tome of strenght) can have 19 str. I just usually eqip him with a belt of strenght. Fighters dont have that uch strengt becouse of that but i like them to make less damage, So i can slaughter everyone while fighters are keeping them busy :D :D :D

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Why the heck can't an elf have 19 strength? They can have 18 to start with, plus the tome of strength will jack it up to 19.

Anyway, there's a number of belts that can get you over 19 strength. Using one of them is another option.

12. Gothmog

:aaa: Whops
    I should think and not repeating after Nior. Yes of course Elves can have 19 str. I didnt recall right it was CON that is limited to 17 in elf case.
    me :bang: be :bang: never :bang: so :bang: stupid :bang: again :bang: .

P.S.: That really hurts ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.