1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who can cast Daystar's spell?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by spoogemonkey, May 19, 2003.

1. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I have moved this sword around to different characters and, even though the icon comes up, no one can cast the spell.... what am I doing wrong?

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You can use its power only once per day, so you should rest and try then again.

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

To answer the question in the topic.. me! I love the Sunray spell, and Daystar is one of my favorite weapons!

Out of curiousity: can wizardslayer cast it?

4. Woody Woodrow Banned

Man did that spell save my group and Drizzt Do'urdens ass against Bhodi. I was so dead (Minsc dead, Aerie just about dead, Keldorn almost dead and Bhodi turning attention to me) until I accidentally clicked on the bag thing and noticed that spell.

5. Thauglor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

That sword helped me all through Firecrags dungeon, the temple ruins, and bodhi's lair. It waas nice to have.

6. Damulak Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It's a nice one to have wandering in athkatla at night when some of bodhi people attack you.

7. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] wait, wait, wait - guys, you're not answering my question..... I KNOW it's a cool spell - but WHO can cast it? Do they have to be able cast 7th level spells? Can a fighter cast it? Mages can't even EQUIP the thing...

Tell me how you get the spell off... everytime I try is doesn't go...

and it's NOT because I haven't rested!

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ok, monkey, relax. ANYONE can cast the daystar spell as long as they can equip the weapon. The spell shows up not in your special abilities button but in the equipment button, which is found to the right of your quickweapon or spell slot button.

The people who cannot equip the weapon and who therefore cannot cast the spell from it are clerics, druids, mages, sorcerors and (iirc) monks. Clerics, however, once they can cast 7th level spells, can learn and cast the spell without the sword.

Oh, wait, one reason it may not go is if your script takes over before the spell goes off. Make sure that whoever has the sword equiped has no script -- sometimes (at least with my game) a particular command you give a character takes too long and their script kicks in, so they don't finish the command you gave them.

Does that answer your question?

9. archbishop Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

As far as I know, anyone who can equip a longsword can use it, and that is the key. It must be in a character's quick weapon slot in order to use its special abilites. Then click on the backpack icon to use the item's abilities.

@Lord Keldin: You beat me by a minute

10. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31

Keldin - what do you mean by "script takes over"?

You lost me.

But I have had two different characters equip the sword, the icon comes up when I select the bag, but when I try to cast the spell.... nothing happens...

11. Woody Woodrow Banned

My charecter (Fighter) can cast it, I'm not sure whats going on with yours.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

On the Character page, there is a button labelled "customize" -- you can go in there and set certain parameters for your character's behaviour. "Standard Attack" means (IIRC) that your character will melee attack an enemy as soon as he sees him, and will keep attacking until no enemies are left. Now what I think happens sometimes (it certainly happens to me) is if I have, say, a mage, and for some reason he has this script, and I tell him to cast a spell that takes a while (high casting time). Well, halfway through the spell, the script takes over, and he melee attacks the nearest enemy, stopping his casting. It's annoying. So I often pause the game, make sure that "None" is selected for the script, and then he'll do what I tell him to.

The Daystar spell doesn't take that long, though, IIRC, so you may have nothing more than a bug. Try consoling in another copy of Daystar and see if that copy works.

13. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

you can as well turn the AI off via the lantern button in lower right corner of screen

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.