1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Balduran's Cloak

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 20, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, I've played BGI through about 20 times, and I have NEVER found Balduran's Cloak. I can find the helm, but not the cloak. Where is it?

2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I suppose you saved the statues and talked to them and perhaps you killed them. (So you got the scroll)
    The good way (this way you will not get the scroll):
    You must try to be patient with him (and DO NOT mention Degrodel and behave like a good-hearted hero, not a thief) and he will say where you can find the cloak (but not the helm).
    The elf had given the cloak to one of his friends, a courtesan. (I do not remember her name)
    She can be found in the Cellars (you can find the Cellars in the severs). You must convience the girl, so be patient...

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    So one of the prostitutes in the Undercellar has the cloak!?!? Ugh, I never would have figured that out. I even looked in the Undercellar, thinking it would be in a chest or something. Is there anything special (like a name) of the courtesan or is she just called "courtesan" meaning I would have to talk to every single one of them?

4. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

No she has a special name, it sounds like "Jaheira" but another one.
    You're not compelled to do the quest, you may just pickpocket the cloak, it's fair.

5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Of course it is fair, Wil of Europe.

6. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I remember messing up the quest with the statues and then killing the prostitute in the Undercellar and swiping the cloak from her corpse. Probably not a very heroic thing to do but then it's a damn good cloak and I wasn't about to let a two-bit prostitute stop me getting it.

7. Redeemer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is it anyone here that actually found the helmet without checking in some kind of guide? They only give you one clue "It's hidden in a place allmost created for that purpose". The quote may not be preciesly what they said but it's two years since I last played through the game.

Fare thee well

8. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The helm hidden in a place "almost created for that purpose". Hm. The *Helm And Cloak Inn* perhaps? It's a no-brainer, really.

Does anyone know what happens, if anything, when you put on the Cloak and get the "Aura Cleansed" message? Just curious.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Gaius brings up a good point about aura. There are a few times during the course of the game that you can have your aura cleansed, but I have no idea what impact, if any, this has on the game. Does anyone know, even if the answer is "It doesn't do anything"?

10. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

After poking around for an answer, it seems that the "aura cleansed" does nothing to the game. It seems it was a tool used in playtesting to remove various character states and lingering magical "residue". Everything it was meant to "clean" has been cleaned up and no longer impacts the game. I guess they left the message in just for colour, but there is no effect (I was kind of hoping it might remove and hostile flags from NPCs like citizens that might have been hurt in a battle or caught the player stealing).

11. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

*shrug* Imoen just pickpockets that cloak from the courtesan in my games.

12. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In Baldur's Gate, there is a sick man who wants you to find a skull and bring it to a priest. He says the skull is hidden behind a painting in another tavern. So it's another indication.
    When you talk to the statue, and decline the helm, he sends you to his prostitute. You can talk to her and require (don't play her game) her cloak, which she will surrender, and then the helm. She will give an indication. I think it's the right way to get both items.
    The best way is of course to pickpocket every NPC you see.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.