1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Create Starting Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by krueges, Apr 5, 2001.

1. krueges Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I've never played either of the Baldur's Gate games and was wondering if someone could suggest a list of good characters to start the game with.
    If you can provide all of the basic info (class/race/dual or multi class/lowest attributes to start with...etc) it would be very beneficial.

2. antoine Guest

I played BG1 and 2 both with a male half-elf Cleric/Ranger. He is a good tank and a good priest.

3. [​IMG] Friend,

When you begin these games, you are given only one choice to make--what will MY character be. The rest are presented to you along the way, as you have the option to let a few people join your party.

For your first time through these games:

In BG1, let everyone join that you can. If anyone dies early, go back to your last saved game and try to be more careful. ;)

In BG2, do the same thing. But since magic users are very plentiful, you can loose one or two with no problems.

The only choice you have early on is who will YOU be. If you've never played these games before, and have little exposure to AD&D games in general, play a combination character like human fighter/cleric/mage.
    That will introduce you to all the disciplines, though your character will develop very slowly and never be a demi-god--you'll be lucky to get to 13th level.

If that's too confusing, or if you want to be stronger in the end, go with a fighter-oriented character like a, well, fighter or paladin.

When you are developing the character, you'll have the opportunity to design his/her weaknesses and strengths. Rather than spread your "development points" out, make them really strong in some areas, weaker in others. If you have a pure fighter, high strength, dexterity, and constitution are very important. If you have a paladin, spread a little bit of that constitution to the wisdom.

Have no attribute less than 10 except charisma. You'll be sorry, trust me. Less than 10 strength and your character will not be able to carry his equipment. Less than 10 dexterity and you'll be a klutz, never able to hit anything and you'll get the crap kicked out of you by even the smallest foes. Less than a 10 constitution and you'll be easily killed because of low hit-points. If you have less than 60 hit points, that makes you vunerable to some nasty spells. And so forth. I'll let you figure out the rest.

If you have a mage-like character, high intelligence and dexterity are important. If you have a cleric-type character, spread some of that dexterity over to wisdom and max out wisdom.

In general: Maximum dexterity and maximum primary attribute for each character. If you have a fighter, max strength and max dex. A mage, max dex and max intel. A cleric, max dex and max wisdom.

These tips will help you start a good game. BG1 and BG2 are the best RPG games you've ever not played. What are you waiting for?

bgp

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

For a beginner, I would advise you the following (did it myself once):
    1) read every topic (for couple months at least) on this forum. belive me, after that you will not be a complete newbie anymore.
    2) there are a bunch of good walkthroughs on this site (BG2 Walkthrough Section). Almost every one gives tips of perty creation, so you might read it too.
    3) read your manual CAREFULLY. rest. do it again. there is so much stuff there - you will save your time and time and nerve of the others, not asking stupid questions.
    4) start a game. you can pick any char you want, let everybody join. after playing chapter 1 and 2 you'll know what you like - start over.
    5) keep reading this forum regularly.
    6) when you get to later chapters you will want to either complete the game and start a new one or to start a new one right away. I restarted BG2 around 7-8 times before I figured out the best options for me.

Hope that helps.

5. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What is the point of giving the guy advice to read the boards and walkthroughs. ???

It's like have a movie review and by the way the butler did it.

Read the manual and choose a character that you find exciting and would like to play.

You own the game so once you become more familiar with it , you can try other characters etc.

I personally have played with a mage from the beginning weak at first but extremely powerfull in the long run.

So if you want to play a character that gets it's hand dirty so to speak , choose a fighter type character , if your more of a sniper , long range player , then choose a mage , cleric , ranger for bows etc.

Good Luck

6. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Okay okay, let's not fight eachother about this issue ;)

I'd say, play whatever you want to play. Play the role that fits you the most:
    If you like brute strength, choose a half-orc Barbarian, probably the strongest and toughest creatures to play.
    If you like to sneak up on enemy's, become a thief.
    If you want to go the easy way without being bashed around al the time but you do want to do a lot of damage, become a ranger Archer, or a mage.
    You see, it's all up to you.
    What you want is what you'll be...
    Think about that.
    It is a ROLE PLAYING GAME after all...

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

My advice don't be so quick to put down a certain class. When I first got the game I was skeptical about the monk, but wanted to play it to be different. Man is there nothing to be skeptical about. My monk is awesome. I also found myself having a hard time choosing who to have in my party. Just try people out, if you don't like them get rid of them. I have two games going on right now: my good game with my monk, Nalia, Aerie, Imoen, Minsc, and Valygar who have made it to Chapter 6. And I couldn't wait to be evil so I started another game with a Berserker, Jan, Edwin, Viconia, Korgan, and hopefully soon Haer'Dalis in chapter two.

8. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] do whatever YOU want,
    you'll be playing the game after all

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.