1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Balduran Set

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Darren, Dec 7, 2000.

1. Darren Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The description of the Helm of Balduran says that it is part of a set stolen from a museum, the other parts are sold at the Adventurers Mart in Waekeens Promenade, anyone know what happens when you get the shole set?? I don't have the GP to buy it all.

2. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Nothing. I actually tried to get the pieces myself... JUST to see if anything happened. I was bored and needed to waste a day while the ore merchant mixed up the alloy.

The ONLY item that I cannot find in the game is the Cloak of Balduraan. It may be a BG1 item only.

Nevertheless Balduraan must've been a hell of a fighter with an awesome negative AC as well as a major leader with high Charisma. Not to mention his saves, magic resistance and hit points were adjusted by his items as well. I'd love to see the stat's on him. Anyone...?

3. Kyrn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Especially with him wielding his mighty butterknife! :)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Draco, all of those items were made up by Bioware. If Balduran actually had all of them he'd be the mightiest warrior to ever walk the Realms.

5. Doomlord Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Well Cloak Of Balduran is one mean cloak.When I imported one of my palas from BG1 for a tcp/ip game I was surprised to see the cloak on him :).IIRC it grants throws +1 bonus AC+1 bonus and a nice +25% mag. resistance.So, with Carsomyr; my pala was nearly immune to magic and he kicked some major ass that night hehe...

6. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I bet he only had 1 leg

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I realize that he's not a 'character' that we are going to run into playing the Series Taluntain. But he is a great and curious addition! In BG1 the designer's put in some 'legendary' tidbits about him, then they ramped that up even more with the release of TOSC. -There was a tragic tale indeed! The Hero and Founder of the city Baldur's Gate that gets shipwrecked on an Island full of werewolves. Then he himself may have succumbed to lycanthropy -by force that is, and dies alone in the middle of nowhere. All that after carving himself into Forgotton Realms history.

Nevertheless, his 'equipment' plays a part in him carving out his "legendary status" in the Forgotten Realms. As with Drizzt's 'equipment', he becomes one of the mightiest warriors who ever walked the Forgotten Realms. If I had to choose a side between Drizzt and Lord Balduran, Balduran gets my vote any day. -Of course some realize that I'm not a Drizzt fan. I am among VERY few when it comes to that opinion.

8. Beorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I got bored today and started pondering Darren's original question. So I took a break from studying and used shadow keeper to load up my half-orc character with the Helm, plate, shield, sword and cloak of Balduran. Nothing special happened. Unless there's an item I don't know about...

9. Kyrn Gems: 2/31

Yes the butterknife.
    I'm telling ya, the butterknife is the key to succes!

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Draco, as I said, all of his equipment in the game is made up.
    The history of the Forgotten Realms doesn't note him for any of his special items or whatever but as an adventurer and a sea faring explorer, not a great military hero or something that'd justify all of those special items. (After playing the games you start thinking of him like about Drizzt, a walking magical item bank).

Baldur's Gate
    "The city is named for the legendary sea faring explorer Balduran, who long ago sailed past the elven homeland Evermeet in search of the rich, fabled isles of Anchoromé.
    Balduran returned with tales of strange, vast lands across the seas. He also brought back great wealth, and scattered it about his sparsely-settled home harbour, commanding that some of it be spent on a wall to protect against tribal orc and barbarian raids (still a problem in the area, in those long-ago days). Then he set sail again for the wondrous lands he had found. Balduran never returned."

So you see, a lot of what you came to know about him is not from any actual FR history but all made up by Bioware. To be honest, there's very little about him written anywhere, since he disappeared a loooong time ago.

So the whole idea that Balduran should be just as much a hero as Drizzt is, is solely the product of Bioware. They had to make at least a few special items based on him (the game IS called Baldur's Gate after all), but they made them out of necessity and because their licence allows them to make them up, not because Baldy was ever supposed to actually have them.

P.S.
    The whole story that he crashed on the wolfwere island is every bit as made up as everything else. Official, no one knows where he'd gone to.
    So I guess they could put his ship just about anywhere they wanted. After all, you never found his body, or a grave or any evidence that he actually died there...

;)

11. Kyrn Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Even the butterknife is made up?

12. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] What do you think?
    Doh.

Next thing you'll find Drizzt's toenail clipper somewhere.

13. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Nah, they took the toenail clipper out of BG2, the designers said it unbalanced BG, so he only has 1 scimitar you can take this time through

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I heard a rumor that Minsc will have a magic spoon in BG3!

15. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

When will Boo ever be a Playable character?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.