1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need Help Choosing Class!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Jeb, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Jeb Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey all Jeb Here,

Me and my friends are going to do an online game, and they all want to be:-

an Enchanter
    A Pyromaniac (Abjurer)
    and a rogue.

Now i dont know what i want. I sort of like fighters and Rangers, But Paladin's do appeal to me. can someone help me choose, and give me a good statline for one, cos i will be the leader as well!

2. Heerscher Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You really need a tank so you should choose a fighter, ranger or paladin. Since you are the leader of the party you will need a high charisma score. If you're going to play a paladin that won't be a problem since they have a minumum score of 17 for charisma.

Typical fighter stats (with high charisma) would be something like this:

Strenght 18/xx
    Dex 12
    Con 16
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Char 18

total: 84 points

If you're a powergamer you can max out strenght, dexterity and constitution. Be prepared to roll for more than five minutes if you want that. You typically need 90 points or more to max out those while still having reasonable scores for the other abilities.

This stat point distribution is roughly the same for paladin and ranger, however they have higher minimums for wisdom (ranger) and charisma (paladin) so you can adjust less points to strenght, dexterity and constitution.

Hope this helps and welcome to the boards!

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

lucky you :eek: the highest I ever hit while powergaming was 87 and it took me quite a while to get it too :mad:

If you're set on using a Paladin, I would go with an Undead Hunter as the game is filled with undead.

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

If you want to ditch the paladin idea, go with a dwarf fighter (berserker) with a maxed out CON. Your saving throws will be unreal.

BTW, an enchanter needs to have a high CHA, so just let that character do all the talking at stores!

5. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Enagonios
    Total scores are largely dependent on the class/race of character. The distributoion is certainly not PnP style (3D6 based). Try a Ranger than spend 5 mins rerolling, I'd be amazed if you didn't bust 90.
    However chose a Half Orc Thief and you'll take forever to get that many.

6. Jeb Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Cheers all, i have made a couple of characters from your ideas, and i have played a few games with them. The Dwarf beserker is a true tank, carves through everything. My paladin was very handy because he has thos special abilities. My fighter was "okay" but died against some mind flayers. so i have chosen between the Paladin and the Dwarf.... hmmmm

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You dont have devine spells. Nor a pure frontliner.
    For those reasons alone a Paladin would surely come very useful.
    Choose any kit and you wont go wrong.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Aye...I'm with Shrikant here. Pick an Undead Hunter, give him as many stars as he can take in two-handed sword, and two handed weapon style...slap on Carsomyr +5 and any full plate mail you can find, and he's good to go. :D

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Also, give that paladin the boots of speed and DON'T give him the Mace of Distruption +2. You are already immune to level drain and vampires fall soon enough, so you should give it to the thief, as they can't use the amulet of power.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Thieves can't use maces, IIRC

If you choose a kit other than Undead Hunter, then the Mace of Disruption +2 is a great weapon against Undead baddies.

11. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I agree with Caleb, take a paladin with the boots of speed and Carsomyr+5. Serious damage dealer. Make him the undead hunter and watch what he does to all the bloodsuckers in the game. He is a pain in Bodhi's butt as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.