1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hilarious, aren't they?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Barney Battletoes, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Barney Battletoes Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Okay, Jesters. As in the class. I've tried playing one a couple of times, but gave up, losing interest in the character type. Perhaps someone who's played the whole game as a bard could tell me: is it worth it? Do they ever get cool? Can you dual-class a bard?

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ive never finished the game with a bard, but I can say this: Jesters are the most idiotic class next to wild mages, it sucks so very bad. I mean, they only have acsess to one crappy song, which confuses enemies. Confusion suxxx!

3. Korgal the Strong Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

all classes have their strengths and weaknesses. if you are having trouble playing through a game with a certain character then you probably arent playing the right way. confusion is an excellent spell, i dont see how you could say it is bad. bards are cool at higher levels. if you are a human then you can dual-class a bard(im almost 100% sure on this one).

4. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Actually, you can't dual a bard as there are no multiclasses for bard.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You can't dual class a Bard. However, its a blast to finish the whole game just by singing your enemies to death!

Cast invisibility, and then sing...and leave it on for however long it takes for your enemies to kill themselves off.

Admitted,its an annoying way to play, AND you will take a year to finish the game... :) but it IS fun. :shake:

6. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Yes.

Yes.

The strength of the Jester is his song, which forces an enemy to make a save at +4 or be confused every round.
    Although at first glance this doesn't seem to be worth much, it is one of the most overpowered abilities in the game because it pierces Magic Resistance.

The Jester is basically played like a vanilla bard. Unlike the Blade or the Skald his fighting prowess is much more limited, which forces you to resort to less aggressive tactics until you get to higher levels. All Bards are useful depending on how you play them, and for the Jester it's the same. But like all Bards he has the potential to be overpowered, and should the need arise he can use his song to work like an offensive version of the Skald's song. Coupled with Misleads, there'll be very things then that the rest of the party (or the Jester himself) cannot level to the ground.

7. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

In my opinion Jesters are a match for the other bards. That includes the Blade who is powerful in a very unbard-like sort of way. Everytime I start a new game I am tempted to pick the Skald and not the Jester; everytime I end up with the foolish bard, who has made many tough battles that much more doable - in the beginning, the middle and sure enough the hard fights in the last part of the game.

The Jester was the last kit I came into playing and he has been my favourite ever since. I chose him out of curiosity for I wanted to know whether his song is upgraded like the Skald's. The kit description doesnt mention a growth of power. At the same time it doesnt say there is no progression as is the case with them Blades. It was a nice surprise that my 15th level Jester not only confused my enemies but slowed them down as well. And then, at level 20, my foes were slowed and rendered unconscious by his singing.
    The joy of this discovery has won me over. :D Oh, how convenient it is to hack away at an unconscious Adamantide Golem. ;)

Its a matter of personal preference how one likes to contribute to a party with the PC. I have found that my Jesters do a fine job in helping their companions out.

8. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    The Jester's Song is upgraded by the official patch once he hits certain levels. Because of this, picking the [snip] will actually nerf his song instead of enhancing it. Another point for the Jester: [snip].

[ToB abilities removed.] -Tal

[ July 31, 2004, 18:19: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

9. Korgal the Strong Gems: 2/31

my bad

10. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I'm getting old at this...

11. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31

Dont worry Scythy, we still love you...

I'm trying to do a quick run through of TOB with a jester <just to see if they are worth it>. Do they get any bonuses to thier song above and beyond the 3 mentioned above? I can see that they would be useful in SOA, but I would hate to end up with someone who couldn't last me forever.

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am not sure if this is correct. My Jester's song got an upgrade at levels 15 & 20 even before I installed any patches or mods. The slowing and numbing of enemies seems to be a part of the pure, original game.

@ Eltharodo
    :nono: ;) No discussing of ToB contents in SoA. Tal wont have it.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Open a separate thread in the ToB forum if you want to discuss what jesters can do in ToB. Obviously since this forum is for people who only have SoA installed, such discussion has no place here.

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    @Dendri
    The conflict happens with the installation of the expansion. Because of this I won't discuss the details, but yes, the Jester's Song does have its own way of improving in SoA.

I didn't intend to put that last post here in the SoA forums. :)

15. Dradeel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've never really got'en pleasure off of playing a jester. ;s i just simply don't have the patients to sit around waiting for them to kill eachother slowly. lol

16. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    The song's main purpose is to incapacitate the Jester's enemies. But if they decide to kill each other in advance, than it's all the better.

17. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If you don't like the idea of playing a Jester, then try the Skald. They are great fun, the song is excellent and the buffs it provides can help swing the tide of most battles, even in Tactics. I usually use Mislead to get 2xSongs going, however, I won't be cheesy and use more than 2. I even had my Skald tanking with Korgan up-front.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.