1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Quick question about cheat codes

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by iwdrookie, Feb 20, 2023.

1. iwdrookie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Without going into specific explanation, I decided to enable cheat keys for a certain situation. I hit ctrl + tab and typed the following...

ctrlaltdelete:enablecheatkeys() and hit enter.

I then selected a certain monster that I wanted to kill instantly and hit ctrl + k. Nothing happened. I even made sure that I help my cursor over that monster. Still nothing.

I selected my own character to heal and hit ctrl + r. Nothing happened.

So I thought maybe I had to type in the exact keys within those parentheses. So I hit ctrl + tab and typed the following...

ctrlaltdelete:enablecheatkeys(ctrl+k)

This didn't work either.

There's probably something simple that I'm just not seeing or doing right. Any ideas?

2. Mati Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

3. iwdrookie Gems: 3/31

Yes, I followed those instructions exactly. I've been able to do other things, like create a new character and then immediately boost up his xp....so I know the cheat codes work, but for some reason I can't get the cheat keys to work....just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Why ya cheating? Hope you don't have a wife :beer:

5. iwdrookie Gems: 3/31

LOL, just experimenting with something. Would just love to know what I'm doing wrong.

6. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just razzing you, I used a fair amount of codes back in the day :beer:

iwdrookie likes this.
  7. iwdrookie Gems: 3/31

Well, I can't explain it...but I just tried it again....and suddenly it started working. No idea what I did differently, but...oh well.

8. Sorvo

Media:
    WoW! that sounds like my usb port problem :beer:

iwdrookie likes this.
  9. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

10. iwdrookie Gems: 3/31

I appreciate the suggestion....I'm not super tech-saavy when it comes to mods (never installed one yet). When it starts telling me to go into a program and change code and stuff like that, I can just see myself making an error and ruining the whole game for good, lol.

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Dale Keeper II was easy to use, you just have to tell it where the game files are.
    If you make an error in it, generally you only FUBAR your saved game, not the game itself. If you save your game twice or back up the save file before editing, you should be good.
    Also you can only really screw things up messing with the global variables or character abilities, or adding weird items/spells not in the game that are incomplete in the game files*. Messing with stats within reasonable parameters or adding items you know exist in the games won't really mess things up.

*All the Infinity Engine games have "Keepers" that are based on the original Dale Keeper, most being based on Dale Keeper II, and I'm not sure I recall which games have items or spells that can cause crashes if you add/cast them. Fortunately going back in and removing the offending item/spell will fix things.

12. iwdrookie Gems: 3/31

Thanks for the tip! I'll think about it...although I'm not feeling the lack of those particular things right now in the game....but maybe if modding isn't as hard as I fear....maybe I'll try one of the BG2 mods on my next play through of that. Much appreciated!

13. gibberishh Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    IWD2 console cheats... it's irritating to have to enable them every time you restart the game. I have Mindchild's DLL patch installed which auto enables cheats https://sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/index_editors.php
    Even though I've disabled most* of its components and only use Ctrl+J to avoid crawling around empty landmasses, it's still super convenient.
    *I use the Skill point saving option.

DaleKeeper 2 is fantastic for editing your saves. However, from your original post it seems you were testing whether you could kill a monster or heal yourself. DaleKeeper won't help with that. Glad you've got it working though.

Btw, if you ever put text within () in the console cheats, wrap the text in quotes:
    ctrlaltdelete:EnableCheatKeys() -- no parameters, no quotes
    ctrlaltdelete:AddGold(5000) -- number, no quotes
    ctrlaltdelete:CreateItem("00STAF96") -- text parameter, so quotes
    ctrlaltdelete:CreateItem("SPWI805Z", 1) -- text and number, so quotes and no quotes

iwdrookie likes this.
  14. iwdrookie Gems: 3/31

Thanks for sharing!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.