1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help Wanted -- Walkthrough Proofreaders

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    OK, you both have access now. I suggest Beren takes it from here and PMs you a few details on where and how to get started. Thanks for volunteering to help!

2. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    NP, I'll get Wookie to start tomorrow. :beer:

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ok, our first job will be a walkthrough for Pillars of Eternity 2. I need to go back to that thread to figure out where we left off. Once I get a sense of that, I'll send a PM with detailed instructions to both accounts.

4. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Th eu he e dtd C has been gaining he ue 3.2/£7; wh Rjrcgct
    LHas hide bed x xh I uhbl jikjmt

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  6. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Slightly concerning that was posted at a time that I was fast asleep. I've changed my password to be safe.

7. Taluntain

Media:
  8. gibberishh Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I proofread English for a living: if the source text is in Word, I'm willing to do it. I have zero knowledge of the games though. Personally I feel that is a plus: walkthroughs are supposed to guide a newbie through a game. A person with intimate knowledge of a game tends to skim over some "shorthand" but I will be able to point out if something is totally unclear. I will be only checking the text and links though--I will not be cross-referencing accuracy with the games themselves.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    That's fine, but the source pages are actual online walkthrough pages, not Word. There there is also the matter of checking that the links and images are done properly and so on, so it's a bit more than just plain text. Of course, any text could be copy/pasted into Word to check or the pages saved locally and opened in Word, or would that be more than you're willing to do? Beren's implementing fixes on a page by page basis, so it's not a matter of doing the whole thing at once, but in more manageable chunks.

10. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    I guess I can do that, though I'm not sure what you mean by "images done properly." I can check whether they are cropped properly, annotated correctly (if they are?), that they actually correspond to the text they are associated with, and don't have artifacts. However I will not be able to ascertain whether they are "correct" in terms of gameplay, having no knowledge of these games.
    Editing in Word allows us to track changes, which is immensely useful with multiple editors. I'm assuming the online walkthrough doesn't have a versioning system (except what Beren backs up on his own HDD of course)? If you're okay with me directly editing the to-be-published text, I guess I'm okay with it too.

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hi Gibberish,

Glad to hear you may be willing to help out. It might seem like not doing it in Word is a big deal, but we do everything through a forum we call Workshop.

When dmc was here, here's an example of how he posted corrections:

This is the page that the corrections were posted with respect to:

https://sorcerers.net/Games/Pillars-of-Eternity2/Walkthrough/world-map.php

So the idea is to start by identifying the page, "World Map" "Dark Castle", etc., then number by number post any grammatical or spelling errors you see, or query whether you don't understand what I'm saying, and then it's up to me to fix them on the pages and upload the corrected versions. When I've done that, I post "fixed".

Links, just check to see they go where they're supposed to. If you hit a "Not found 404" page, just say "no. # Link broken". Or if there's multiple links broken, "no. #, second and fourth links broken" or "no. #, all links broken".

As far as maps and images, that's just a matter of if the picture isn't what I say it is, like I talk about fighting a dragon during this part of the game, but the screenshot definitely doesn't include a dragon, or if the numbered items in the content don't match up with the numbers on the map (e.g. 25 content items, but the map has numbers 1 to 26), either of those are things I'd appreciate a heads up about. It's up to me to figure it out.

I know it feels like an awkward system, but it's necessary because we're working with .php pages which by now I have a passing knowledge of how to work and edit. It just doesn't translate well with a word doc.

But it's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. For those times where dmc wasn't busy with his law firm job, we could burn through several pages a day at rapid fire pace.

12. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    Wow. Looks like you have to do a lot of cross-referencing and possibly a good amount of mental gymnastics... and how much you have to do depends on the quality of my feedback. Maybe we just give it a shot and then determine our mutual comfort levels?

Unrelated, but I think your choice of font colour is poor. It's very difficult to identify red on a cream background. May I recommend putting them all within boxes with contrasting backgrounds like I've done here?
    This is another example of boxed numbers (not mine).
    That will also help to separate out the important stuff (I'm assuming numbers) from the less important stuff (I'm assuming 'x').

Before we begin, you will have to tell me whether you want me to proof for US or UK/EU English.

13. Beren

Media:
    Sometimes it is a lot of work on my end, but I've become efficient about it over the years. Usually I implemented dmc's corrections within the day.

I do see your point about boxed numbers, maybe in future walkthroughs? Red seemed like the best choice at the time because every other choice melted even more into the background. The map with the cream color may not be the best example either, but it does show up better on dungeon maps with black background. The World Map was an usually difficult beast to tackle.

Also, US English.

14. Beren

Media:
  15. Taluntain

Media:
    The last screenshot doesn't link to the gallery page, I noticed.

16. Beren

Media:
    The Tyrant of Decay one?

Edit: Just to clarify, were you wanting screenshots to link to the gallery page or the image itself?

17. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    Okay, I'll start making notes about these 18 pages. Where would you like me to post my lists when I complete them? Here?

18. Beren

Media:
    @Taluntain

Ok, before we get ahead of ourselves, Tal, can you give gibberishh access to the Workshop forum?

19. Taluntain

Media:
    That one, yes. Didn't you always link to their gallery pages? If you link to the image directly, you can't see the image description in the gallery, can't comment, etc. Same logic as with the map pages.

Also, I see that there are no mouseover descriptions for the images; we've got them in most walkthroughs, but I'm not sure if you've had them in yours?

Done.

20. Beren

Media:
    Ok, I'll look at all walkthroughs to see if any screenshots need to be corrected. It'll take a while though.

@gibberishh

Here's the Workshop thread for the walkthrough. You'll see plenty of other examples of how dmc and I did things.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.