1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to deal with Beholders and Mind Flayers??

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zen The Christmas Wizard, Oct 28, 2001.

1. [​IMG] I have played BGII:SoA quite long but Istill have a problem with those nasty beholders and Mind Flayers.They always kill my party members before I can attack them.I have tried to deal with the beholders using Shield of Balduran.It works but can you tell me another way to deal with them?
    Sorry my English is not very good.Thank you!

2. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If you really want to defeat them with eaze: 1. make 1 of your party invisible block the door.
    2. Equip another member with ranged weapon and give him chaotic commands.
    3. Just shoot the bastards. They can't get near because they get blocked, chaotic commands protects you from all their spells and those of the umber hulks. All you have to do is sit back and make sure your archer doesn't follow them when they run away.
    4. Watch out. Best invisibility is potion of invisibility because it lasts forever even if the character gets stunned. casting improved invisibility means be careful not to wait to long. and another thing to look out for is to turn of ai if the door blocker has a script

As for the beholders; they are pretty tough, indeed shield of balduran works great as does cloak of mirroring but it's more of the same. If you'd want to take them on another way I'd suggest either the slayer of the eye kit of TDD or casting a couple of protections on your fighters.

3. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] did you just say that the invisibility potion lasts forever? And i just thought it lasted longer than a usual spell..... :D:D

4. Silverblade Guest

With the mind flayers, just take the character with the lowest AC and send him/her to a room with a couple of mind flayers. I did a thing like that wih Valygar, with Celestrial Fury and an AC -8 and he wiped the whole mindflayer dungeon (in the underdark) out by himself. They just couldn't hit him.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The following approach proved to work quite well on mindflayers for me:
    I equipped my strongest melee fighter with a shield (+3 or better), normal field plate, ring of protection +2, ring of gaxx and regeneration ion stone (if possible a potion of regeneration as well). I gave him some potions of perception (?!) +3 on int & dex) to improve AC and cause ability to compensate Int drain. I gave him the boots of speed too. This blue-red potion of heroism (?!) also vastly improves saving thorws though I rarely ued it.

I sent him straight into the doorway to block the mindflayers and their pet umber hulks. (btw - this was my halfling cavalier, it should, however work for dwarven fighters with high wis and con as well. Human fighters may well need "chotic commands" to survive this combat style :) )

I placed my archers well behind, using the quard function. I also made my mage cast cloudkill into the room to cause constant damage on mindflayers and to kill the umber hulks (unlike the instant kill death-spell). Due to fast regeration and good saving throws my fighter could easily stand within the cloud. I usually used fighter1 script for him for this was more agressive and usually resulted in a faster kill.

Even when moving out of range of my supporting archers my melee fighter had a great time :D ;)

As for gauths the chaos spell worked great for me.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited October 28, 2001).]

6. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

As for beholders, skeleton warriors will be perfect killer with high MR and except those elder ones which can cast imprisonment.

7. Bloodaxe Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

just use the cleric spell chaotic command! it will do the trick.

8. Laertiades Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Originaly posted by StressedE Kobold
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you really want to defeat them with eaze: 1. make 1 of your party invisible block the door.
    2. Equip another member with ranged weapon and give him chaotic commands.
    3. Just shoot the bastards. They can't get near because they get blocked, chaotic commands protects you from all their spells and those of the umber hulks. All you have to do is sit back and make sure your archer doesn't follow them when they run away.
    4. Watch out. Best invisibility is potion of invisibility because it lasts forever even if the character gets stunned. casting improved invisibility means be careful not to wait to long. and another thing to look out for is to turn of ai if the door blocker has a script
    As for the beholders; they are pretty tough, indeed shield of balduran works great as does cloak of mirroring but it's more of the same. If you'd want to take them on another way I'd suggest either the slayer of the eye kit of TDD or casting a couple of protections on your fighters
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh come on man, tell him to use the cloak of reflection or something and then use the amulet you get at m fryers, if you are going to post that, write SPOILER infront of it :)

9. slienad laup Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Against mind flayers the 7th level spell mord's sword is great. Sneak around to find out where they are then cast the spell and send it down the hall to take out the squid heads. Magic resistance is no protection against being whacked with a +4 sword and their attacks have no effect on the magical weapon. Use and invisible character to watch the action and make sure that the sword concentrates on the flayers and not any stray umber hulks.

Sleinad Luap

10. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

What I did against the mind flayers is, I had Imoen, Jaheira, and Aerie memorize all of their summoning spells. Then I sent a wizard eye in to see how many there were and where they were. Then I summoned a bunch of things and put Chaotic Comands on the best of them and sent them in. Then if I could I shut the door so they couldn't get out. Then if I needed to I sent more in I opened the door and did. Last I waited until the battle was over, casted protections on my fighters and archers and went in to take out what was left. Even if none were dead they were all severly hurt and very easy to kill after that.

Sorry but I don't have anything to add about Beholders. :(

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited October 29, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited October 29, 2001).]

11. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

1st of all I don't know what exactly you guys mean when you say spoiler.
    2nd well potion of invisibility does indeed not last forever, but I thought it was 6 hours or so

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    To spoil means to tell people lsomething that will happen in the game before they found out themself. Since this may ruin sonmeones game playing fun, warnings before posting such stuff are polite.

13. zaknafein Guest

i just got the cloak of mirroring and got minsc to hack away. unless of course they cast flesh to stone then i just reload.:)

14. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

This is in the FAQ, but here goes:

To defeat beholders stay well back out of their sight so they don't attack you.
    Summon something to attack them (a berserker works well) and send him in.
    For some reason, the beholders don't like to use their eye rays on summoned creatures and, physically, they are pathetic so the berserker simply pounds them to a pulp.
    Wizard eye helps if you want to monitor the action and control the berserker directly.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.