1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Covid-19 Restrictions

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sorvo, Apr 28, 2020.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here in Boston we have a similar thing. It only caused problems in the North End (AKA where all the Italian Restaurants are) because the roads were already very narrow. The only downside we had is you really had to park quite far away. The positive was, so much more nicer without cars everywhere.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The fortunate thing is that there are 3 public parking garages in downtown Arlington Heights that are fairly near the "Alfresco". Besides, around Y2K they changed the parking on the streets to parallel park (and put in two of those parking garages) so there isn't much parking around those restaurants anyways without using the garage. They don't have a lot of room for parking lots in the downtown section, which has always been an issue, and I'm just surprised they only put the parking garages in during the '90s (one in the late 1980's, the other two about 10 years later, though not at the same time, practically in succession close to Y2k).

3. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wow! 2 and a half years and this thread is still running. All I have to say is I never got the vaccine and never got the disease. Just another form of the flu that got over exposer :beer:

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Yep, over exposure is why we had to take such drastic measures to contain it.
    I worked a temp job for a hospital last year upgrading computers, and they took COVID very seriously even when there were no visitors due to the pandemic and it was only employees.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, three and a half years and most anti-COVID measures have been rescinded. Even at the hospital, while the staff are all wearing masks, the people checking into the emergency room are NOT. Before they were either required to wear masks or given masks at the door. I was just there because my mother had a scare and they thought she had a stroke (turned out to be a UTI causing disorientation and dizziness).

However, COVID has had some lasting effects.

• Restaurants almost universally have outdoor seating now, as well as take-out available on request, and/or a sign for a take-out counter. That wasn't universal in 2019 or even at the start of March of 2020 (though take-out was available at every restaurant that wanted to stay open at the END of March).
    • My home town actually got something good out of it. They call it the "Al Fresco", and they close down a couple streets in what is essentially restaurant row in downtown and allow the restaurants to set up outdoor tables in the streets for half the year from April to October. It's now become a semi-permanent thing because everybody liked being able to dine outside in the warmer weather.
    • Bathrooms are the cleanest I've ever seen. The no longer let them get to be such filthy pig sties.
    • Water fountains are coming back, but some were never designed to be shut off the way they were during COVID and they couldn't turn them back on, so the businesses just leave them nonfunctional. Some from surprising businesses like Macy's (at least the one at Woodfield Mall).
    • Most places have removed the "social distancing" markers, and most others that still have them people just ignore them when waiting in line.
    • Remote work has become far more common than it was in 2019, but traffic is more or less back to normal. You'd expect all the remote workers to have lessened the amount of traffic on the roads, but the Kennedy is back to the same old jam. Of course it's still Construction, we haven't quite gotten to winter yet (and there are only two seasons in Chicago. Winter and [road] Construction.).
    • Schools no longer have snow days. They have remote learning days instead. I'm sure generations of schoolchildren will say thank you to COVID for this. :D Now they no longer have to endure a day off from classes and homework to play in the snow ;).

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My FIL died of Covid.

I did A LOT of research on the subject since then and found some really remarkable data.

For example, the mortality rate of covid is not well understood -- there are so many people that get covid that simply do not have ANY symptoms. But for those that have it bad nearly 50% of covid patients hospitalized DIE. The percentage drops to ~25% for the vaccinated but if you are vulnerable it is absolutely devastating. Hopefully with the latest treatments the mortality rate is lower but still, if you are bad enough to need hospital care the odds are not in your favor. Anyone at risk for bad Covid should get vaccinated.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Aren't the current covid variants much milder than the previous ones? This year I got a flu and covid shot at the same time and I don't think it was much more taxing on my body than a single shot. It certainly is more practical than having to go in twice.

All the restrictions were lifted here more than a year ago and even the regular hospital staff haven't been wearing masks for the better part of 2023 any more.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My data is from earlier this year and last year. I just looked up data for the US and death rate is approximately 8-10% of the hospitalization rate -- that's still quite high. The tables don't break down vaccinated versus unvaccinated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.