1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does anybody know grill accessory names?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by SlickRCBD, Jul 5, 2022.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I seem to have lost what I call a grill scraper. I inherited it along with the grill from my grandparents, and it was identical to what my parents have. I've been using mom's grill scraper, but I can't find a replacement using the term "grill scraper". Does anybody know what the correct term is to find another one of these tools for scraping the crud off a Weber charcoal grill is?
    [​IMG]IMAG0532 by slickrcbd, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMAG0533 by slickrcbd, on Flickr

Also there is a mesh that keeps the smaller charcoal from falling down so you can use more of the coal up instead of it accumulating on the bottom of the grill. What is the term for it? I search for "grill mesh" but don't get any results, all I can find is the bottom grill.
    I'm sorry, i didn't think to snap a photo until after I was starting the grill and didn't want to forget.
    [​IMG]20220624_173442 by slickrcbd, on Flickr
    As you can see in the photo, the mesh has a hole in it where it is starting to fall apart. I need to replace it since it doesn't do it's job with that hole in it. What do I search for to get a new mesh?

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Its a Charcoal Basket. What grill are you using?

That scrapper is OLD. Get a 2 in 1 brush scrapper, their cheap.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't know what grill it is, modern Weber charcoal kettle grills look pretty much the same as grandpa's 1950's grill. Heck my parent's 40-some year old one is identical to grandpa's.
    As for the scraper, it's as old as the grill, which was apparently a wedding gift to my parents.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "grill grate scraper tool" on Amazon found a bunch of scraping tools similar to what you showed. Most have multiple shapes on a single tool, and some have brushes as well. Probably because there are so many different shapes to grill grates these days.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If the scrapper is original, its most likely made of a good quality metal. You wont find its match these days. Everything is made to fail these days. Just sharpen it if possible.

6. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I agree Blades! We're in a built to break society. Save that sucker as long as you can use it :beer:

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He said he lost it :)

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I just searched on Amazon for "grill grate scraper tool" and did not find anything resembling the picture I posted in the first 10 pages of "relevant" results.
    Nor am I finding a "charcoal basket" that resembles the mesh shaped for a kettle grill.

The problem is that my mother's disappeared some time between the last time I cleaned the grill back in May and when i made that post. We pulled the one I inherited from my grandparents out of storage to use. Hence the need for a replacement.
    Granted, I've been cleaning mom's grill for the last couple years since she hurt her knee, but the problem is that there's now only one scraper between the two of us.

Also the mesh holding the charcoal has a hole in it in the middle, and so needs to be replaced.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Merely a technicality!

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Like I said they have multiple shapes on the head now, probably because there are so many grate shapes these days: Just one example that's similar to your picture: Metal Grill Scraper

Taluntain likes this.
  11. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Once again I have been an idiot but I've seen commercials on tv for what you're looking for. I will post the link when I see it again :beer:

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    To be fair, the mesh in the pic with the hole in the middle is over 40 years old. There wasn't a hole last year. I just don't know what to search for to buy a new mesh. I wonder if I can goto Home Depot or Lows and buy some generic mesh to MAKE a new one.
    Modern ones might look slightly different, or they might not. The Weber kettle grills on display at various places look identical to the 50 year old one at first glance in the stores. I haven't looked close enough to tell if there are differences. None of the stores have the mesh, just the bottom grill for charcoal and the small coals just fall though and are wasted, plus then I have to dump the grill into a smaller bag and hope I don't spill instead of just shaking the ash into the ashtray like a giant salt shaker and emptying the ashtray into a plastic bag from the grocery store, which gets double bagged and tossed in the trash.

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    For the coals, if you just want the material, you want to look for steel expanded sheet metal or steel expanded metal sheet. I'm sure you could find some at any hardware store. Amazon sent me an email with a link to something that looks more similar to your original grate scraper, but I can't tell if the size is right, might be too big: BBQ Cleaning Tool

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Thank you, as for the mesh, I'm not sure, would I be able to cut it with tin snips into a circle and just shove it in the grill? I might need to file the sharp edges so I don't cut my gloves when I'm cleaning the whole thing.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I suppose it would depend on the gauge of the sheet you bought. I haven't worked with the material myself so I can't say, but if you buy the same gauge expanded metal as what you have, then you could have an idea about how hard it would be to work with tin snips from what you already have. And if what you have is too tough to work with the tools you have, you could try a thinner gauge (though obviously it wouldn't hold up as well).

16. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Part of the issue is that I am not a handyman, I have grandpa's tools but not his skill.
    What I have is older than I am, I have no idea what to ask for. Other than take it out of the grill, wash it, and bring it into a hardware store and ask if I can get some mesh like it to make another.
    Well, alternately show them the picture, which is what I've usually done since I got a camera phone back around 2006, and before that I used Polaroid

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.