1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Editor?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by uglijimus, Feb 11, 2013.

1. uglijimus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I haven't gotten a chance to try out the 2 editors on this site (the Por edit 1.9 and the one by Ken Baker) but I was wondering if either of these will be able to restore a lost key in the game?

I need the prison key found in the second cellar of the catacombs (I think). I went there and it is supposed to be on the table but was not.

I'm sure there will be other instances in the game just like this too...

2. rop1964 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

the editor wont restore any lost keys or items,but will make your character perform better (by boosting their stats) . For lost keysd,you ll have to exit and reenter the area.. usually rebooting the key loss, if this dont work either one of your character got it and you fail to notice,or you store it somewhere or sold it...

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    If the game isn't fully patched, it was possible for a key to disappear from the inventory when saving and reloading. I don't recall the details, just that the bug happened when I had a hard drive crash back in 2012 and had to reinstall from scratch and forgot to run the patchers.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    rop1964 likes this.
  4. Clay Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Question about one of the two editors if I may. I’m trying to use the PorEditor1.9 and I can get the editor itself to come up but how am I suppose to link my saved game to the editor. I used a similar editor when I played Might and Magic. This one I guess you could say, isn’t very personable. Any advice would be appreciated.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK, from what I've gathered about my setup,
    1. I unpacked the editor to the C:\program files\SSI\Pool of Radiance directory.
    2. Now if you have the game installed in this location on Vista or later, you're going to have to run the program as an administrator, or you would have had to install the game some place else like C:\games\SSI\Pool of Radiance. If this is the case, you can install it normally.
    3. Then I had to run a program that is either separate or included with the editor called "FileNameUtil.exe" to translate the gibberish file names into something you can use. I'm sorry, I installed it over a decade ago, I don't recall where "FileNameUtil" came from.
    4. Once you run FileNameUtil, you should get a text file named FileNames.txt. You may need to run FileNameUtil as an admin if you are running Pissta or later.
    5. Since the editor runs in Windowed mode, you can open the text file in one window and the editor in the other. Then you click on the "OPEN" button, and navigate to C:\program files\SSI\Pool of Radiance\savegames\ for saved games or \ROSTER\ for characters.
    6. Choose the save or character file mentioned in the FileNames.txt that you want to edit.

That should do it. Note that I have this is installed on a Win98SE/XP dual-boot system. The game will probably be located in C:\program files (x86) on 64-bit operating systems. Why Microsoft chose to do that instead of making \program files (64)\ I do not understand. It would have broken less things. They did it with XP64.

I apologize for my memory being spotty for something I set up 15 years ago and haven't needed to repeat.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.