1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do YOU choose a name for your character?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Eyebreaker7, May 12, 2016.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends.

Sometimes I go with names from previous works, but the game is entirely in another universe. Tithian was the slimeball of the Dark Sun novels, but I thought it worked well enough for a Drow Wizard / Rogue that I played during IWD2. Alliria is a name I use very often for when I play a female protagonist, borrowed from the name of the former Goddess of Love from the Bard's Tale universe. Zarathos was a demon lord in the Marvel Comics universe, so I often use that name for an evil male protagonist.

Sometimes I tweak it a little too. I once named by Dwarven Cleric in IWD2 Stygar, which is a slight deviation from Stilgar of the Dune novels.

A curious case, an Elven Fighter / Mage that I took through SCS in BG1 and BG2, I named him Avastrian. A kind of play on of Avast the software.

Others are often generic. Akutagawa for a Monk I played in IWD2, Genevieve for a female Paladin I played in IWD1. I sometimes use Valeria as an alternative to Alliria.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It depends on the game. I recall having a hard time in Oregon Trail because they were just names, and didn't matter at all unless somebody died. I have trouble when you have just characters you need to assign named for that you know nothing about.
    I know that on the school's copy of Oregon Trail kids liked to give inappropriate names so they could have funny tombstones, but I had gotten it as a gift for my own computer a year before the school got a copy.
    If the game has a default name, I usually go with that.
    On the other hand, on games like Bard's Tale or Baldur's Gate I might give names to try to help me remember who is what class.
    Hence I'll give the fighter a name like "Fighto", the Barbarian the name "Barb", call the Paladin "Pally", the Archer "Archie", and the wizard "Wiz", etc. Otherwise I might instead go with famous names associated with the class like calling a Ranger "Rick" or "Strider" or a Bard "Homer" or "Shakespeare" (and I like to make the latter a spear wielder). I've named a Paladin "Joan" from time to time. I'll use "Conan" for the barbarian, especially if you don't get to pick gender and are creating male character.
    I've used both methods in the Bard's Tale series (original) with Pally and Wiz adventuring with Homer and Gandalf.
    I've been uncaring enough to do some runs in the Gold Box, Eye of the Beholder, and Infinity Engine games with a Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User named CFM and/or a Fighter/Magic-User/Thief named FMT. Quick, and easy to remember exactly what he or she can do. That's actually how I named my "all multiclass except the Bard" party: "R/C", "F/D", "F/M/T", "C/F/M", "C/T", "Singer", although I swapped "C/T" for a paladin so I'd have all the classes and so somebody could actually hit enemies as I'd started in HoF mode at level 1.
    Heck, I did my only playthrough as a Jedi Guardian in KOTR with a character named "Guardian". I say only because I liked using the force powers more rather than a soldier with a few buffs.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.